The Russian Invasion on PFL flopped badly

executionermma

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
A quick result review on the Russian participation on PFL.

Magomed Magomedkerimmov (23-5, former WSOF fighter, 170 lbs) became the PFL welterweight champion, but other than that, they didn't have as much success as USA (3 champions) or Brazil (2 champions).

Lost in the finals:
  • Abusupiyan Magomedov (22-4-1, SFC, 185) - lost to Louis Taylor
  • Rashid Magomedov (22-3-1, UFC, 155) - lost to Natan Schulte
Eliminated during playoffs:
  • Maxim Grishin (28-7-1, WFCA, 205) - eliminated after draw with Smealinho Rama
  • Bozigit Ataev (20-3, Kunlun, 205) - lost to Vinny Magalhães and Dan Spohn
  • Gasan Umalatov (18-6-2, FNG, 185) - lost to John Howard, eliminated after draw with Abusupiyan Magomedov
Eliminated during regular season:
  • Artur Alibulatov (19-4, ProFC, 205) - lost to Dan Spohn
  • Bekbulat Magomedov (19-3, WSOF, 145) - lost to Timur Valiev and Lance Palmer
  • Magomed Idrisov (8-2, M-1, 145) - lost to Alexandre Bezerra and Steven Siler
Retired from the tournament because of injuries:
  • Rashid Yusupov (9-1, M-1, 205) - lost to Rakim Cleveland
  • Timur Valiev (14-2, WSOF, 145)
  • Islam Mamedov (16-2, WSOF, 155)
  • Shamil Gamzatov (13-0, ACB, 185)
  • Abubakar Nurmagomedov (15-2-1, WSOF, 170) - lost to Pavel Kusch

I'm confused. Is this a pro America thread?

How come no thread about how Guam didn't have a single person make it to the playoffs???

I was expecting a bunch of Dagestani millionaires at the start of the season tbh. Magomedkerimov is for real, I’m guessing. I hope him, Nurmagomedov, and Gamzatov return next season.

Ataev did pretty good too, I’d like to see him back .

Taylor railing Magomedov was satisfying as fuck.

How come no thread about how Guam didn't have a single person make it to the playoffs???
This is a result review thread. Russian fighters fell short on PFL.
When the PFL roster was announced most people expected many Russian champions, what didn't happened.

I was expecting a bunch of Dagestani millionaires at the start of the season tbh. Magomedkerimov is for real, I’m guessing. I hope him, Nurmagomedov, and Gamzatov return next season.

Agreed. Mamedov performed very well too.
The biggest disappointments to me were Idrisov and Grishin.
Grishin could easily have beat Smealinho Rama if he had fought smarter, and at 34 years old he probably lost the chance of his life.

That's a long and notable list of injuries though.

Fuck yes. It's incredible to me that no matter how many times or how hard Russian/Dagestani fighters flop like they did here people on here still act like they're the MMA master race. Gotta admire their persistence if nothing else though.

Still ridiculously good output per capita for Kavkaz.

Shit happens. Rashid did well, it's not like he flubbed badly or anything.

Funny to see how triggered some Sherdoggers get at people getting hyped at fighters from non-traditional sources (America, Brazil).

Still ridiculously good output per capita for Kavkaz.

Shit happens. Rashid did well, it's not like he flubbed badly or anything.

Funny to see how triggered some Sherdoggers get at people getting hyped at fighters from non-traditional sources (America, Brazil).

People on here talk about Russia like they’re the no.1 MMA nation and always have been though which is A) Not true and B) Kind of annoying and disrespectful to those nations that have truly earned their prestige in the MMA world.

People on here talk about Russia like they’re the no.1 MMA nation and always have been though which is A) Not true and B) Kind of annoying and disrespectful to those nations that have truly earned their prestige in the MMA world.

Ridiculous thing to be upset about, IMO.

I'm excited about a country with a potentially huge MMA talent pool showing up en-masse on the MMA scene.
I'd be just as excited if other untapped markets started producing good talent.

MMA nationalism is cringy as fuck.
It's not about nation vs nation. It is about combat sport traditions being applied to MMA, which is something all MMA fans should support and be happy about.
Imagine if there was a larger tradition of martial arts in say India or something. That is a large pool of people to at least get a few contenders from.

Ridiculous thing to be upset about, IMO.

I'm excited about a country with a potentially huge MMA talent pool showing up en-masse on the MMA scene.
I'd be just as excited if other untapped markets started producing good talent.

MMA nationalism is cringy as fuck.
It's not about nation vs nation. It is about combat sport traditions being applied to MMA, which is something all MMA fans should support and be happy about.
Imagine if there was a larger tradition of martial arts in say India or something. That is a large pool of people to at least get a few contenders from.
being upset at MMA nationalism is even more cringeworthy IMO
<LucyBless>

Me 2’ I was expecting Ali’s guys to win in all divisions. But he got 2 out of 6.

I think that Russian invasion failed from the start. I think I posted it here, like around 3rd or 4th event of the tournament combined Russian record in the tournament were like 5 wins and 7 or 8 loses. When you lose more than you win that's hardly a success. Plus, bright prospects which people wanted to see in the UFC, like Idrisov and Yusupov (if I'm not wrong) wasn't able to win a single fight, WSOF champion Bekbulat won 0 fights (too lazy to check, but I think that's his record in PFL tiurnament).

Hahaha hahaha hahaha Nice hahaha hahaha

The Taylor KO was just a fucking lucky KO.
Rashid was robbed.
Rashid Yusupov injury was fucking unlucky otherwise he could have gone far.
Mamedov and Gamzatov pulled out to not fight other Russian fighter.
Timur Valiev was just injuried.
Bozigit can make a run in 2019 even if he is old and eventually win and retire.
Abubakar, Grishin, Umalatov, Bekbulat and Idrisov were very very bad and the case of Artur was special.
That was no the Russian PFL year for sure.

The Taylor KO was just a fucking lucky KO.
Rashid was robbed.
Rashid Yusupov injury was fucking unlucky otherwise he could have gone far.
Mamedov and Gamzatov pulled out to not fight other Russian fighter.
Timur Valiev was just injuried.
Bozigit can make a run in 2019 even if he is old and eventually win and retire.
Abubakar, Grishin, Umalatov, Bekbulat and Idrisov were very very bad and the case of Artur was special.
That was no the Russian PFL year for sure.
Mate, there is no luck in the fight game. Taylor threw that left over the top after Magomedov balance was off due to Taylor's leg kick, and it landed perfectly, great punch by Taylor.
Yusupov injury was also caused by a legal move that Rakim used, a shoulder strike. Yusupov's fault for not breaking the clinch or defending himself better once he was there.

Rashid wasn't robbed either, in the best case scenario the fight would be a 47-47 draw, as i scored. It was close, there's an argument for Schulte R1, leading to a fair 48-46.

Mate, there is no luck in the fight game. Taylor threw that left over the top after Magomedov balance was off due to Taylor's leg kick, and it landed perfectly, great punch by Taylor.
Yusupov injury was also caused by a legal move that Rakim used, a shoulder strike. Yusupov's fault for not breaking the clinch or defending himself better once he was there.

Rashid wasn't robbed either, in the best case scenario the fight would be a 47-47 draw, as i scored. It was close, there's an argument for Schulte R1, leading to a fair 48-46.
The KO of Magomed was lucky for me he himself didn't expect that and i withdraw nothing from Taylor he make the job.
Yes the Yusupov injury was his fault but that was fucking unlucky a thing who we can't see come.
Schulte has do nothing except clinch and few takedowns and can we talk about that retired point for a eye poke ?
Otherwise yes that was not the Russian take over year.

I had Rashid winning the fight and the point deduction was bullsh:t

Back