The Rules about Using Watermarked .GIFs and Macros drove me away from this site...

^^^^ I remember that one, funny as hell, needs more manga though.

I make tons of memes and shoops and such and don't watermark any of them. You don't own the pictures or intellectual property to begin with, so you have no right to claim them after the fact, in my opinion. I think watermarking it claims it as your own, which it clearly isn't.

Animated .gif files and image macros often require both time and effort to produce as well as at least a moderate understanding of how to properly use image manipulation software.

Speaking as a gif maker, I can say that gifs are not difficult to make at all. It really is not a big deal to download the source + run it through software to make the gif. I've made 500+ gifs for this forum, and I have never spent more than a couple of minutes on one.

I'm on both sides, when it comes to watermarking. I always watermark my shoops because yes, I do want people to know who made it. I also do it because, speaking as a spectator, it is annoying when you see a funny shoop and don't know who made it. My work sucks, so I doubt it would make a difference whether I put the watermark on it; however, if there is at least one person who likes my work, at least they'll know which shoops are mine and which aren't.

If you aren't altering the gif/pics at all, though, I think it's scumbaggish to add your watermark. There is no creativity involved. It's the equivalent of photocopying a photographer's work and signing it as your own.

If you aren't altering the gif/pics at all, though, I think it's scumbaggish to add your watermark. There is no creativity involved. It's the equivalent of photocopying a photographer's work and signing it as your own.

I agree.

I don't think the site has an issue with a DK or Sheetsmmafan watermark on a shoop. I've seen plenty of those around.

Watermarking to show that you made a shoop is one thing. Adding a watermark to a simple gif or making your watermark a url is different.

If TS is spending 20 minutes plus adding some text to a picture, I need to either step up or step down my game. Cause that shit takes me no time at all.

it takes him 30-45 mins to at a little text line to an Image?

I hate memes and macros, the less of it the better

TS uses Paint and writes each letter one pixel at a time.

As I said in my post, most of the time/work comes from finding the appropriate screenshot. I take thousands of screen captures and only end up using a few of these.

But yes, it does take me another ten to twenty minutes in GIMP to border the text, scale it and line it up correctly, and potentially more time If I'm using the demotivational poster format.

It's true that the screenshots themselves come from anime which I obviously did not create myself, however, it's also true by creating these macros I'm putting these images onto the web in a format that allows them to be easily reshared. This is a boon not only to other anime viewers and other fans of memes, but also to the anime studios themselves whose work work is provided greater exposure by people like me who create these memes.

Unlike sherdog.net, many message boards actually appreciate original content and people who create it. If it wasn't for people like me, everyone would just repost the same material ad-nauseam.

Taking a frame from a random video and writing "Deal with it" on it and a link to your page, IS NOT original content.

I laugh at the people who Shop the UFC fighters and use watermarks, but at least they do some work to the photos and they're funny.

As I said in my post, most of the time/work comes from finding the appropriate screenshot. I take thousands of screen captures and only end up using a few of these.

But yes, it does take me another ten to twenty minutes in GIMP to border the text, scale it and line it up correctly, and potentially more time If I'm using the demotivational poster format.

It's true that the screenshots themselves come from anime which I obviously did not create myself, however, it's also true by creating these macros I'm putting these images onto the web in a format that allows them to be easily reshared. This is a boon not only to other anime viewers and other fans of memes, but also to the anime studios themselves whose work work is provided greater exposure by people like me who create these memes.

Unlike sherdog.net, many message boards actually appreciate original content and people who create it. If it wasn't for people like me, everyone would just repost the same material ad-nauseam.

You're distorting things.

Everyone appreciates original content. It just can't be promotional. Adding a link to your website makes it promotional.

P&M is full of threads with original content. Look around, this site is full of original content.

So from what I understand you can put your username
in the watermark but not a site.

What's the problem with that ?
Username should be sufficient.

So from what I understand you can put your username
in the watermark but not a site.

What's the problem with that ?
Username should be sufficient.

It is for most everyone except for those few prima donnas who feel that they provide more of a service to Sherdog than we do for them.

We should be damn lucky to have them.

It is for most everyone except for those few prima donnas who feel that they provide more of a service to Sherdog than we do for them.

We should be damn lucky to have abs.

Your Welcome Sir, always!

Back