The Ronda Effect

Nameless Ghoul

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
I'll start by saying I don't care for her at all and I wasn't even going to watch the card but some friends of mine who don't normally watch MMA were going to Buffalo Wild Wings to "see Ronda" and asked me to go. The first one we went to was already packed out before the prelims even started, so we headed to the other side of town and got one of the last tables they had left. There was a definite "buzz" in the air about the fight and the female representation in the building was extremely high for an MMA event. Not to mention there were quite a few people who stood for the 4 hrs or so that we were there.

Despite the "so so" fights before hand once "Bad Reputation" hit and they showed her on screen people stood up,clapped,cheered ect like they were at the arena and it carried on through the intros. Then when the ko happened the place exploded and you would have thought the home team won the Super Bowl on a last second hail mary. It was that loud. Then on the way out I heard a lot of talk about "serves Bethe right talking shit about(insert topics used in promo videos)".

It was interesting to see the hype/promotion around her and people buying in "in real life" and not just tv/radio talking heads. Did anyone else have similar experiences tonight?

It was a sloppy fight. It was a sloppy KO. they were throwing hay makers.

Welcome to every Wanderlei fight in history. Was Wanderlei vs. Stann not a thing everyone was so excited about?

The double standards are annoying.

And yes, to TS, heard a lot of people talking about how they were going to watch the fight that never watch MMA other than to see Rousey.

All over my Facebook today all the chicks were posting Ronda this and Ronda that, and after the fight they were all Woo! You go girl! And saying they've never got so emotional for a sport or an athlete and how they were in tears and shit.

I know they would never watch MMA otherwise. Well, most of them. I know a couple chicks who are legit fans, but not many.

Welcome to every Wanderlei fight in history. Was Wanderlei vs. Stann not a thing everyone was so excited about?

And yes, to TS, heard a lot of people talking about how they were going to watch the fight that never watch MMA other than to see Rousey.

Blonderlei Silva

It's a shame that so many people just tune in to see rouser fight, don't get me wrong, she's amazing, but the women's 135 division is probably the weakest in the whole of UFC. I wish more casual fans would tune in more often coz there are so many better fights than rondas

I've posted about it before and she's only gotten more famous since.

It's a real effect when women actually want to see her fight compared to getting dragged to the bar by their male SO. She's a female Tyson and every girl I know talks about her come fight week.

I mean part of me hates such filthy casual behavior but she's straight up an icon.

She's a fucking gold mine.

I hope she keeps wrecking shit up Tyson style for years to come.

The tears Sherbitches shed when she keeps winning taste oh so sweet.

And Shogun

Back