The role of genes

S

SteveSmith

I am starting to think that genes play a big role in the level of conditionning of someone. Some people are able to do more intense conditionning than others. I think it may be genetic. It is natural for these people to have more endurance.

Is it possible that most fighters of any sports have really elite genetics? That most people could never achieve their level of conditionning even if they wanted to?

I think a bunch of hard work can help you get to the level of conditioning that you want to be at. I believe that genetically, some people do have bodies that are built for athleticism better than others. But underneath all the fat and crap, we all have fit bodies we just need to bring out. Work hard and smart. You'll get there.

LCDforMe said:
I think a bunch of hard work can help you get to the level of conditioning that you want to be at. I believe that genetically, some people do have bodies that are built for athleticism better than others. But underneath all the fat and crap, we all have fit bodies we just need to bring out. Work hard and smart. You'll get there.

Right on. Since everyone is different, it's pretty obvious that there will be differing levels of difficulty for them competing athletically. However, Micheal Jordan would never have been a basketball legend if he didn't train like a madman. Fedor wouldn't continue to win if he didn't train like a madman. No matter who you are, it will take hard work to stand out in whatever field you're in.

perfect example bein rocky marciano . he lost an amateur fight cuz his conditionin was really fukin horrible , he was a smoker etc . he got himself into gear and became one of the hardest workin (and there4 fittest) boxers in history.

Some of the genetic freaks you speak of have been competing in some form or another since a very young age. They're better athletes because they've been at it longer.

You can't expect a man to step off the couch at age 20+ and compete with an athlete that has been training six age 6.

Genetics play a role in your body's max potential, but the work required to reach one's max potential isn't something a casual athlete would know anything about, myself included.

As a sport progresses into the professional or Olympic levels, THAT is when you'll see genetics come into play. Olympians (in most cases) have either achieved or are close to achieving their body's max potential. Only then do genetics help win the gold.

So, unless you're competing on the highest plains of athleticism, I'd say he who trains longer and harder wins.

It is easy to point to genetics or "performance inhancing drugs" when someone out performs his or her competition. Sometime these accusations are warranted, but sometimes, the person wins because they train like a animal day in, and day out.

there is a really good artical on this if you dig way back in t-mag.com

Pretty much any activity can be broken down into

1.) Genetics
2.) Technique
3.) Practice
4.) Nutrition

Similar to what Bacon said, most everyone in the Olympics level has probably got 2 and 3 down pat.

Focus should probably be on there too. And just being lucky.

I honestly think in an MMA fight there are probably so many other factors that that genetics is so deep in the background noise that its not even distinguisable.

But it is an interesting question to think about how much a factor genetics is on learning techniques, practice, or how well your body absorbs/uses nutrients.

The way I see it, and keep in mind I am a total layman

Genes really do affect our ability to condition ourselves. They affect our overall potential, and affect how easily we gain fitness.

However most people don't reach their potential, certainly not if they only train for it as a hobby. And sometimes people gain it hard. That doesn't mean that they shouldn't keep trying though. In most cases, when people don't get fit, it isn't because of their genes, it is because of their heart.

not only could it be physical genetics but mental.. if a kid is depressed or just straight crazy he might work out harder and develop his pain tolerance more and earlier than someone else. i don't think wand's aggressiveness can be taught

you also can't deny that blacks were bred to be good workers back in the slave days and we obviously knew how to breed back then because look at all the different dogs we have now

different builds help different activities too.. tall skinny guys have more potential for striking and basketball and stocky guys are best powerlifting and wrestling

OpethDrums said:
not only could it be physical genetics but mental.. if a kid is depressed or just straight crazy he might work out harder and develop his pain tolerance more and earlier than someone else. i don't think wand's aggressiveness can be taught

you also can't deny that blacks were bred to be good workers back in the slave days and we obviously knew how to breed back then because look at all the different dogs we have now

different builds help different activities too.. tall skinny guys have more potential for striking and basketball and stocky guys are best powerlifting and wrestling

i think it takes more than a couple years for evolution to effect an entire race. and remember , there r black ppl 2 who r still in africa who have never seen america and r good athletes:p

Harry Greb, Carlos Monzon and Sam Ketchel rarely trained, rarely ate healthy, fucked until the minute before th match, smoked drank and partied all night long.
Monzon is arguably the one of the best middleweight boxers ever, while the other two were titlists and feared men in their day.
My point is they definatly did not train hard and they definatly had the genes for fighting.
People who doubt the power of genetics are in denial some people are natural born fighters and athletes some are not. Can you become a better athlete through training? Yes.
Can there be guys who drink smoke and dont train who will be a champion and a better athlete? Most definatly

LMFAO look at people bringing in evolution to this.

evolution is a theory.

And yes GENETICS IS HUGE in anything and everything that involves life. It's basically who you are.

SKD said:
In most cases, when people don't get fit, it isn't because of their genes, it is because of their heart.

Word!

Don't get me wrong, it takes genes and heart to be a champ- but how will you know how far you can go it you don't try?

parallax86 said:
i think it takes more than a couple years for evolution to effect an entire race. and remember , there r black ppl 2 who r still in africa who have never seen america and r good athletes:p

The slavery thing has some validity to it. Not from breeding because there were not enough generations for that to make a difference. But a lot of people that were taken as slaves had to survive harsh travel conditions on a boat just to make it to America where they would be a slave. Those with weaker immune systems died. So the survivors were a step up by a little bit. They also chose slaves based on how healthy they looked. Because they wanted to use them for work.

I don't think the slave trade went on long enough to make a big difference but there probably was some effect by it.

Genetics are the biggest copout for the modern man.

It does effect a lot of things, but people use it as an excuse more than anything.

"I bet the only reason he can do that is because of his genetics." Yea, I bet it has nothing to do with his training regimen, diet, sleep regimen, etc...

SteveSmith said:
I am starting to think that genes play a big role in the level of conditionning of someone. Some people are able to do more intense conditionning than others. I think it may be genetic. It is natural for these people to have more endurance.

Is it possible that most fighters of any sports have really elite genetics? That most people could never achieve their level of conditionning even if they wanted to?

i don't think most fighters have supreme genetics but i do think some fighters stand out like, David L (the crow) and shogun. im sure these guys respond well to cardiovascular exercsie just as tank responds to bench pressing. even if shogun took roids he wouldnt be benching 600 but im sure all his life he'd be able to run farther and with more intensity than tank or say jeremy horn

i notice i seem to have better genes than my bro and am more athletic, BUT. he grew bigger because all these years since i was little i've been shadow boxing and having friends over to wrestle. now im ripped and took me 1 month after over 5 years of smoking weed and cigs heavily to get into good shape for boxing. i think its a combo of hard work and consistancy (as in a whole life time of physical activity) that are most important

Ted-P said:
LMFAO look at people bringing in evolution to this.

evolution is a theory.

and religion is a collection of myths

Back