THE ROCKETEER Sequel in the Works

Dragonlordxxxxx

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
Reaction score
THE ROCKETEER Sequel Headlined by Black Female Character in the Works

Disney-Rocketeer-072816-Dragonlord.jpg

The Rocketeer is ready to blast off once again. Walt Disney Studios is developing a reboot of the 1991 action adventure movie, hiring Max Winkler and Matt Spicer to pen the script, which is being titled The Rocketeers.

The project, in the early development stages, is considered a sequel-reboot and, in a modern-day twist, will be headlined by a black female character.

Rocketeer was based on the popular 1980s indie comic by Dave Stevens and, like Star Wars and Raiders of the Lost Ark, was a loving homage to the serials of the 1930s and 1940s.

The story followed Cliff Secord, a stunt pilot who discovers a rocket pack and suit to die for and become embroiled with mobsters and Nazis, as well as Howard Hughes and the FBI.

The Joe Johnston-directed movie starred Billy Campbell as Secord, Jennifer Connelly as his aspiring actress (a Betty Page homage) girlfriend, Timothy Dalton as an Errol Flynn-type actor who is a Nazi spy and Alan Arkin as Secord's mechanic.

The new take keeps the story in a period setting and offers a fresh view on the characters. Set six years after the original Rocketeer and after Secord has vanished while fighting the Nazis, an unlikely new hero emerges: a young African–American female pilot, who takes up the mantle of Rocketeer in an attempt to stop an ambitious and corrupt rocket scientist from stealing jet-pack technology in what could prove to be a turning point in the Cold War.

'The Rocketeer' Reboot in the Works From Disney; New Lead Will Be a Black Female Character (Exclusive)

The Rocketeer is ready to blast off once again. Walt Disney Studios is developing a reboot of the 1991 action adventure movie, hiring Max Winkler and Matt Spicer to pen the script, which is being titled The Rocketeers.

The project, in the early development stages, is considered a sequel-reboot and, in a modern-day twist, will be headlined by a black female character.

In modern times, it's a twist if the protagonist retains the original race and gender.

WTF. I was indifferent to the original movie but was sold on this sequel, up until they threw in the SJW bit. Fucking Hollywood, I swear to god.

THE ROCKETEER Sequel Headlined by Black Female Character in the Works

Disney-Rocketeer-072816-Dragonlord.jpg

Rocketeer was based on the popular 1980s indie comic by Dave Stevens and, like Star Wars and Raiders of the Lost Ark, was a loving homage to the serials of the 1930s and 1940s.

The story followed Cliff Secord, a stunt pilot who discovers a rocket pack and suit to die for and become embroiled with mobsters and Nazis, as well as Howard Hughes and the FBI.

The Joe Johnston-directed movie starred Billy Campbell as Secord, Jennifer Connelly as his aspiring actress (a Betty Page homage) girlfriend, Timothy Dalton as an Errol Flynn-type actor who is a Nazi spy and Alan Arkin as Secord's mechanic.

The new take keeps the story in a period setting and offers a fresh view on the characters. Set six years after the original Rocketeer and after Secord has vanished while fighting the Nazis, an unlikely new hero emerges: a young African–American female pilot, who takes up the mantle of Rocketeer in an attempt to stop an ambitious and corrupt rocket scientist from stealing jet-pack technology in what could prove to be a turning point in the Cold War.

'The Rocketeer' Reboot in the Works From Disney; New Lead Will Be a Black Female Character (Exclusive)

Heard about this on twitter, at first that they're remaking 'The Rocketeer.' I thought 'There's already an oversaturation of superhero flicks, and The Rocketeer was a great superhero flick when there was only one every few years.'

Then I read it's going to be a black female, I thought 'Are these fucking idiots at Disney paying attention to the boxoffice returns of Sony's Ghostbusters? And if it's taking place in the 1950s/60s, it's obvious they're going to put some racial/sexist undertones.'

Are these remakes of classic films with race/sex changes of the central characters, going to become a trend in Hollywood, reguardless of the failing boxoffice returns?

You know Hollywood is out of ideas when it remakes movies that sucked the first time

Heard about this on twitter, at first that they're remaking 'The Rocketeer.' I thought 'There's already an oversaturation of superhero flicks, and The Rocketeer was a great superhero flick when there was only one every few years.'

Then I read it's going to be a black female, I thought 'Are these fucking idiots at Disney paying attention to the boxoffice returns of Sony's Ghostbusters? And if it's taking place in the 1950s/60s, it's obvious they're going to put some racial/sexist undertones.'

Are these remakes of classic films with race/sex changes of the central characters, going to become a trend in Hollywood, reguardless of the failing boxoffice returns?
They need to remake Coming to America and have it star Yakoff Smirnoff or Borat

They need to reboot The Gods Must Be Crazy, but have it be a whole bunch of white men that are confused and baffled by the new Ghostbusters remake instead of a Coke bottle.

They need to reboot The Gods Must Be Crazy, but have it be a whole bunch of white men that are confused and baffled by the new Ghostbusters remake instead of a Coke bottle.

Damn. Never thought I'd see that movie mentioned here. Holy shit, that takes me back.

I know the Rocketeer sucked because we watched it in class when I was pretty young and I remember being super excited to sit and watch a movie instead of doing school work.

About halfway through it I was just wishing we were all in detention doing homework instead.

WTF. I was indifferent to the original movie but was sold on this sequel, up until they threw in the SJW bit. Fucking Hollywood, I swear to god.
Hollywood is into making money. I never understood why people like you can't distinguish between businesses and random people arguing on the internet.

Hollywood is into making money. I never understood why people like you can't distinguish between businesses and random people arguing on the internet.

Except that Ghostbusters was trying to do the same thing and flopped hard, even with its 73% rating on RT. How is this turning a profit again?

Except that Ghostbusters was trying to do the same thing and flopped hard, even with its 73% rating on RT. How is this turning a profit again?
So you think the $150 million investors poured into the movie was a social justice donation? That's ridiculous. Not everyone lives in your SJW battle ground. Everything you see is apparently a grenade to you.

I'd rather take a chance of finding out about the new hero character while watching the movie. I know that'd be pretty difficult, but still. Having the race and gender just thrown out in the synopsis makes it look like pandering bullshit.. Which could set a negative tone before the movie even gets made. It happened with Ghostbusters, HOWEVER, at least this movie isn't a total diversity/pandering reboot and takes place within the same 'universe'. Simply saying, "..a young pilot.." would have sufficed.

Serious question. Does this all seem possible within the ramifications of the first movie? I know Nazis are involved and all that, but was the racial diversity really there in the first movie, or the subject material, in order to set this up? Or is this basically the work of the diversity shoehorn?

Gonna try to keep an open mind with this if it's made, as I did enjoy it growing up. If it turns into a flat out reboot and the original movie never happened I won't watch it.

So you think the $150 million investors poured into the movie was a social justice donation? That's ridiculous. Not everyone lives in your SJW battle ground. Everything you see is apparently a grenade to you.

Huh? If anything you're the one that seems to be writing it off as a SJ donation. You said Hollywood is about making profit. I pointed out that the SJW-friendly Ghostbusters flopped hard because it went against everything longtime fans wanted in the movie, and you're acting like that doesn't matter...

Back