The right (rear) uppercut..

I usually set it up by luring my opponent to trade jabs, after getting the timing of his jab down I feint the jab, take a slight diagonal step back with the rear leg and just fire away the right uppercut under his jab

Sinister: During last sparring, i tried to set it up by getting the timing down on my power-jab. I threw a jab - right overhand/hook-thing. After a few times, that made them start to cover up on the overhand, that gave me a opening for the right uppercut.

I also got some good use of it during dirty boxing in the clinch. with the left hand behind his neck, i could pump in some nice right uppercuts to the chin. Bj Penn style.

I also like the left hook - right uppercut - left hook combination.. But in that combination, the right uppercut most often only do the job as a feint for the last hook.

My first time sparring I caught a 15 year veteran in the game with an uppercut, he was going ridiculously easy and his love taps would do some damage but I watched his movements and stepped forward with a rear uppercut and caught him flush, probably the greatest punch I ever landed on someone that experienced (He was born and raised in the gym).

I like to dip forward when an opponent rushes(Almost like throwing a body jab but instead use the movement to set up a rear uppercut) and bring the rear uppercut straight into my opponent if they are swinging aggressively and stepping straight forward.

Also I like to just wing them from time to time kinda of like Alexander Gustaffson, but for the most part that punch has to be set up and timed correctly- if you just throw a rear uppercut as a base or frequently you might end up like Schaub when he fought big Nog, horrible uppercut that got him Tko'd.

I love body uppercuts too, my favorite technique when I get in close and we are engaged in short range- is just a pair of sharp, fast body uppercuts from the same hand and if my opponent folds/flinches or doesn't move I add in the other arm for the combo. After about 2-3 good punches on the inside I usually start angling in range as much as possible trying to corner said opponent.

Last edited:
did you step all the way? like switching stance on the punch?

did you step all the way? like switching stance on the punch?

Against the Vet I didn't switch stance I just I stepped towards my left and kind of swung the uppercut around my hip area exactly where he was dipping.

On the dip-rear uppercut you don't have too, if timed right and the opponent is moving square it's like running right into a power punch, it can be very devastating, in sparring I only throw it with the movement not any force and it still does damage, it's a really close tactic so you usually just square up close.

Fix'd

Look at 1:05, there's the perfect example.

Last edited:
Very similar to how I started to use that UC behind my jab.

Here's a new trick I found extremely effective for this exact same kind of opponent, Im a tall lanky guy too. Once you get him gunshy with that UC, he will probably start pulling back or away to defend it when he comes in (if he's looking for it). If ya catch him doing that, feint that UC! Just roll that right shoulder and drop down onto that front leg and as he pulls back (looking for the UC) ya can take his head off with that lead hook (alternatively, this is one of my favorite ways to load up and throw a big left hook/shovel hook into the body as they pull up). Your basically feinting that UC and loading up that left hook. When he pulls back looking to defend UC, his gloves/guard will come down/on center, leaving the hook wide open......... :icon_evil

Check out Morales.

The rear UC feint to overhand and vice versa is a staple in his arsenal.

Very similar to how I started to use that UC behind my jab.

Here's a new trick I found extremely effective for this exact same kind of opponent, Im a tall lanky guy too. Once you get him gunshy with that UC, he will probably start pulling back or away to defend it when he comes in (if he's looking for it). If ya catch him doing that, feint that UC! Just roll that right shoulder and drop down onto that front leg and as he pulls back (looking for the UC) ya can take his head off with that lead hook (alternatively, this is one of my favorite ways to load up and throw a big left hook/shovel hook into the body as they pull up). Your basically feinting that UC and loading up that left hook. When he pulls back looking to defend UC, his gloves/guard will come down/on center, leaving the hook wide open......... :icon_evil

Ohhhhhhhhh, I like. I have only been sparring a tall guy as of late and he is pretty seasoned, but I want to try this on someone SOON. I will report back. Thanks Sully. Maybe I will even get off my arse and post some new vids.lol Im tightening up. I still have some issues w/the lead hook, but my jab, right, movement, and uppercut are all looking pretty money as of late. I still have a long way to go though.

My first time sparring I caught a 15 year veteran in the game with an uppercut, he was going ridiculously easy and his love taps would do some damage but I watched his movements and stepped forward with a rear uppercut and caught him flush, probably the greatest punch I ever landed on someone that experienced (He was born and raised in the gym).

I like to dip forward when an opponent rushes(Almost like throwing a body jab but instead use the movement to set up a rear uppercut) and bring the rear uppercut straight into my opponent if they are swinging aggressively and stepping straight forward.

Also I like to just wing them from time to time kinda of like Alexander Gustaffson, but for the most part that punch has to be set up and timed correctly- if you just throw a rear uppercut as a base or frequently you might end up like Schaub when he fought big Nog, horrible uppercut that got him Tko'd.

I love body uppercuts too, my favorite technique when I get in close and we are engaged in short range- is just a pair of sharp, fast body uppercuts from the same hand and if my opponent folds/flinches or doesn't move I add in the other arm for the combo. After about 2-3 good punches on the inside I usually start angling in range as much as possible trying to corner said opponent.

Another good one that Tyson used all the time once he got inside is the right hook to the body and UC after they flinch. From the outside I like to use it to counter someone lunging with a sloppy overhand right ala Silva-Gustaffson.

Watch him vs Hipp.
You can also watch him vs Holyfield (great right uppers by both) and Michael Moorer.
Was a bad , bad man , he was.
His drug habits though put a limit on him as to how long he could perform his best against the top level guys.

Watch him vs Hipp.
You can also watch him vs Holyfield (great right uppers by both) and Michael Moorer.
Was a bad , bad man , he was.
His drug habits though put a limit on him as to how long he could perform his best against the top level guys.

Appreciate it, man.

Every day i am shadowboxing at work for a long time. doing alot of variations of the right uppercut.

i gonna put this tool in my toolkit. just you wait and see.

Back