The right (rear) uppercut..

Frode Falch

Steel Belt
Professional Fighter
Reaction score
How do you like to set it up?

louis_bivins.jpg

With a jab or two.

anything special you look for before you throw it? what make you choose the uppercut after the jabs instead of a cross or a body shot?

If my opponent dips or leans to my left side, but a bit lower than shoulder level, or if they seem to be upright and guarded against the cross, the uppercut is the correct answer.

I like to use it when someone grabs for a clinch. It is a good shield against being grabbed. More specifically, fast double uppercut combos.

With a jab or two.

Frode, if you go back and watch one of the vids Sinister posted doing Mit Work with Arni (training of a viking thread, I believe)........ There is an excellent example of how to use the jab to set up the UC. It's a trick that I haven't seen many guys teach, and probably the first time I have seen a mitt holder (that being Sin) have the boxer use this method to teach rear UC. I'm sure someone can find and re-post the vid. The idea demonstrated with the jab/double jab would be to fade/feint the jab outside a bit to open the opponents guard and hide the rear UC coming up in between. The rear UC is one of my favorite shots and probably one of my better punches, but it wasn't a shot I was comfortable throwing anywhere but right in close. Using this tactic makes it a much higher percentage shot at range or coming in behind the jab.

I like to use it when someone grabs for a clinch. It is a good shield against being grabbed. More specifically, fast double uppercut combos.

One of the best examples of recent that comes to mind, watch Cotto Vs. PBF. I love how Floyd would tuck n roll underneath (particularly when Cotto was trying to smother or grab on to him) and throw that double UC or lead UC in between Cotto's guard to set up his right hand. I believe somewhere late in that fight he about sat Cotto down with a short lead UC. What so impressive is how PBF is able to get his shoulders in a position (between cottos guard) that really nullified Cottos ability to mount any offense when he did it. Excellent example of how to throw the lead UC and not be as defensively vulnerable to the right hand. PBF would just slide inside Cottos Guard, Stand him up those lead UC's and put himself into a position where Cotto could only defend, and by the time he had recovered that high guard and got back down in his stance he'd eaten a right hand behind that UC. Really a thing of beauty.

Frode, if you go back and watch one of the vids Sinister posted doing Mit Work with Arni (training of a viking thread, I believe)........ There is an excellent example of how to use the jab to set up the UC. It's a trick that I haven't seen many guys teach, and probably the first time I have seen a mitt holder (that being Sin) have the boxer use this method to teach rear UC. I'm sure someone can find and re-post the vid. The idea demonstrated with the jab/double jab would be to fade/feint the jab outside a bit to open the opponents guard and hide the rear UC coming up in between. The rear UC is one of my favorite shots and probably one of my better punches, but it wasn't a shot I was comfortable throwing anywhere but right in close. Using this tactic makes it a much higher percentage shot at range or coming in behind the jab.

Thanks man. And thanks Sinister. I will check it out for sure. :) Its the punch i dont like to throw. But it all about the set ups.

You can also set it up with a left hook or left uppercut.

One of the best examples of recent that comes to mind, watch Cotto Vs. PBF. I love how Floyd would tuck n roll underneath (particularly when Cotto was trying to smother or grab on to him) and throw that double UC or lead UC in between Cotto's guard to set up his right hand. I believe somewhere late in that fight he about sat Cotto down with a short lead UC. What so impressive is how PBF is able to get his shoulders in a position (between cottos guard) that really nullified Cottos ability to mount any offense when he did it. Excellent example of how to throw the lead UC and not be as defensively vulnerable to the right hand. PBF would just slide inside Cottos Guard, Stand him up those lead UC's and put himself into a position where Cotto could only defend, and by the time he had recovered that high guard and got back down in his stance he'd eaten a right hand behind that UC. Really a thing of beauty.

Huh, sounds pretty interesting. Thanks for cluing me in. I'm trying to find it right now.

jab is awesome setup and also the right rear up-cut is a good starter for a left lead hook

This punch saved me after getting my ass handed to me by a super aggressive fighter who has sinced left the gym. He is already short and very strong, but when I found out he used to take...we will say "uppers" it kind of made sense how he could walk through so many HARD straight rights.lol So anyway, the coach taught me to just kind of paw out the double jab (Im tall w/a decent jab) and when he would try to kind of rush in, I would try to launch his head into the stratusphere. Rinse, wash, repeat. Change up the jabs and he will eventually get gunshy. This is the only punch that I have in my arsenal that could slow him down, because my hook just isnt accurate or fast enough but I find that hook pretty easy. I always use this for shorter, aggressive figthers now. jab, jab, UPPERCUT!!!LMAO

Oh, and you can add the left hook after the UC....then the right if they are still there.

This punch saved me after getting my ass handed to me by a super aggressive fighter who has sinced left the gym. He is already short and very strong, but when I found out he used to take...we will say "uppers" it kind of made sense how he could walk through so many HARD straight rights.lol So anyway, the coach taught me to just kind of paw out the double jab (Im tall w/a decent jab) and when he would try to kind of rush in, I would try to launch his head into the stratusphere. Rinse, wash, repeat. Change up the jabs and he will eventually get gunshy. This is the only punch that I have in my arsenal that could slow him down, because my hook just isnt accurate or fast enough but I find that hook pretty easy. I always use this for shorter, aggressive figthers now. jab, jab, UPPERCUT!!!LMAO

Very similar to how I started to use that UC behind my jab.

Here's a new trick I found extremely effective for this exact same kind of opponent, Im a tall lanky guy too. Once you get him gunshy with that UC, he will probably start pulling back or away to defend it when he comes in (if he's looking for it). If ya catch him doing that, feint that UC! Just roll that right shoulder and drop down onto that front leg and as he pulls back (looking for the UC) ya can take his head off with that lead hook (alternatively, this is one of my favorite ways to load up and throw a big left hook/shovel hook into the body as they pull up). Your basically feinting that UC and loading up that left hook. When he pulls back looking to defend UC, his gloves/guard will come down/on center, leaving the hook wide open......... :icon_evil

Last edited:

I usualy accept the clinch but if I refuse it.
Work best on someone reaching up.
I usualy toss it from the left to follow with cross right or right UC.

I usualy accept the clinch but if I refuse it.
Work best on someone reaching up.
I usualy toss it from the left to follow with cross right or right UC.

Well said, agreed!

The lead UC is a better option to deter the clinch, if you miss that lead UC or clincher just eats it and grabs on anyway your in a far better position to defend the clinch as your weight (should) fall onto the back foot and your shoulders are more square to the clinchers. Miss the rear UC or have clincher grab on anyway, just a slight jerk down and he's got your upper body separated with your weight on the front foot....... any your easy to twist, turn or toss off balance.

Seems a little easier to pull back with a lead uppercut too. It works as a bait punch, so if you're baiting someone to try and clinch you, you bring your head forward a little and smack 'em with the uppercut as you pull back from their attempt, hopefully catching them with their hands out wide.

So tried this on the friday sparring. Ive worked it into the pad session. It is still very hard to land during sparring

Where/when were you throwing it Frode?

Back