The relevance of Sumo training

dunno if that is the same thing I saw... but I watched one where the sumo wrestlers drank an ice filled glass of turtle blood before their competition... hmmm do they know something we don't?

dunno if that is the same thing I saw... but I watched one where the sumo wrestlers drank an ice filled glass of turtle blood before their competition... hmmm do they know something we don't?

You mean you don't put turtle blood in your PWO shakes?

Thanks for the clip. Some interesting info in there.

The diet part was very interesting...10k calories a day!? Damn...

The stew looked great.

I really like Sumo.

Nage-waza that work on 300+ lb guys with low center of gravity and good balance are exactly the kind of technique us powerlifters need in a fight.

*nage-waza

Some of those big guys are amazingly nimble. Have you ever seen a Wakanohana fight?

Dammit I suck at spelling things.

I don't follow Sumo that closely as I haven't had time.

If I ever get to Japan I want to learn some Sumo. Learning the nage-waza and learning to have a base like they do would be really useful.

Do you know much about Sumo? If so, can you point me to the name of a very technical Sumo who uses nage-waza frequently?

Do you mean a wrestler who does a lot of technical throws?

I don't follow it much personally, I just saw the documentary while channel surfing the other day and upon finding the meat of the subject on youtube, decided to share.

Also, for technical sumo throws, I direct you to Asashouryuu, a Yokozuna ranked Mongolian. Amazing power and technique.

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/CEe-UIvftUg&hl=de"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/CEe-UIvftUg&hl=de" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

That's a good clip. It shows him go undefeated for all 15 days in a row of the tournament.

I've watched that clip a few time before this. I really like how he throws the guy at about 42 seconds into the video.

It just seems to me that if you can throw a 300+ lb guy with a great base to the ground, your techniques will work REALLY well versus some 200lb pencil neck.

Yeah I want to see some Sumo that use lots of Nage-waza. Got any names?

I wish I could workout, eat a huge meal and drink beer, then take a nap...everyday

Amazing seeing this thread posted on sherdog no less, and with intelligent responses >_>. I was awaiting seeing the ts get flamed to holy hell when I opened it.

EDIT: To be OT, isn't the Sumo diet seeing some revisions to make it healthier for the Sumos?

Any good books/docus on Sumo?

I'm still waiting for some college football team to recruit some Japanese sumo wrestlers as linemen. Would be sweet.

I would love to have a huge Chanko and beer feast.

I know it's in the Replacements, but wouldn't these guys be extremely good linemen?

Back