Media The reasons why GSP is le GOAT

you tried to use the nunes v ronda counter example and those two cases are no where near the same cases that the top male fighters have against each other.

I never said anywhere in this thread that because a fighter goes out on their shield that that’s the only criteria that should be used in GOAT cases. But you insinuated that that’s what I was saying with your counter example. Not a fair counter example at all.

I was strictly stating that going out on your shield should be an additional metric added to distinguish between the different goats that are in close consideration. This metric pushes certain top male MMA fighters higher in my GOAT books.
I used that example because it stands in stark contrast to your use of that metric. At the time Ronda was fighting she was at the top. Her losses are what hurt her legacy. Had she simply fought Tate for a third time as was originally planned and then retired before losing she would be remembered far more fondly. But she went out on her shield and her legacy was tarnished as a result.

I get what you’re saying about considering information gained from that litmus test as simply additional criteria but my example is one of several I could make to demonstrate what a mixed bag those results produce, which means it just isn’t a reliable metric.

I used that example because it stands in stark contrast to your use of that metric. At the time Ronda was fighting she was at the top. Her losses are what hurt her legacy. Had she simply fought Tate for a third time as was originally planned and then retired before losing she would be remembered far more fondly. But she went out on her shield and her legacy was tarnished as a result.

I get what you’re saying about considering information gained from that litmus test as simply additional criteria but my example is one of several I could make to demonstrate what a mixed bag those results produce, which means it just isn’t a reliable metric.

To MMA casuals it stands out in contrast but any astute observer of the sport knows that Ronda was arguably the most overhyped fighter in MMA history. She was saying dumb ass things like believing she’s able to beat male fighters. I mean her entire promotion was contrived. The first contender she faced she got knocked out by in Holm. What happened to Holm again? Yeah.
She went out on her shield but overhyped herself to the nth degree. There’s a difference between someone who overhypes themselves then goes out on their shield and someone who has proven time and time again he’s the big dog. Don’t get the two confused.

To use ronda as a counterexample in anything related to the men’s GOAT talks is blasphemous.

If an avenging every loss, divisional GOAT, who holds the lineal belt in not one, but two divisions, who has 13 title wins, while cleaning out 3 generations of fighters who were higher ranked & had a higher winning percentage compared to every other GOAT's, isn't the GOAT. Quite literally no one is, or will be.

<36>

Some of ya'lls dumb arbitrary reasoning for why he isn't, you could use for pretty much everyone else. Sera? AS has a loss to a negative ratio can. Hendricks?(Weird that he "beat" or "molested" {LOL} GSP into retirement when Hendricks lost, that's how you know you're a GOAT, when a close fight is used against you) Jones vs, Gus 1, Santos, Reyes.

HGH gut/Gyno? Yup the guy who advocated for stronger testing is the guy whose using. Probably just wanted himself to get caught, 5D chess GSP is playing. With absolute zero evidence, besides ya'lls favorite popping, so therefore everyone must be on it. Besides it's weird his HGH gut magically disappears when you're not taking pictures at specific angels, or he's never shown it ever except in a photo he's breathing out in. Hell even I have more "gyno" than him, and I've never touched a PED in my life.

Vasaline? Wasn't him that did it, he never told him to do it, and it literally got wiped off, nor would it have changed the outcome.

Tapping to strikes? Just because he isn't retarded like you doesn't mean he doesn't value his brain. Frank Mir who openly made fun of people tapping to strikes, tapped to strikes, because that shit hurts. GSP then went on to avenge by brutal finish, and become a divisional GoAT, and higher weight champion to cement overall GOAT.

A 15-25 minute destruction & systematic breakdown of their opponent is just as worthy of praise than a finish, if not more so, as some of you will claim certain finishes are "flukes".

And to the ones claiming GSP fans always make threads, are either new fans, or looking through rose tinted glasses to not remember the HUNDREDS of threads claiming Jones & especially Silva were GOAT. Why'd they stop? Well they either continued to pop, or lose, or turn out fights that "they should have lost"(y'all word, not mine) & all while GSP came back 4 years later at a higher weight, to beat the guy who KO'd like, & out struck Anderson Silva. Nobody knew Bisping had 1 eye until relatively recently, & it wasn't enough to deter him from becoming a champ so moot point.

Any other "rebuttals" are dumb as shit merits.

{<jordan}

<36>

<Fedor23>

if you don’t think GSP is on roids I have a bridge to sell you. Most GOATs in all the top sports are on roids. But okay, the guy with gyno, crazy muscle definition and hgh gut with needle marks on him before every fight is clean?

Let’s not forget how boring GSP fights were compared to Aldo, Silva, Fedor and even Jon Jones I would say. Yeah, he dominated his division but he tucked tail as soon as he got the shit beat out of him by Big Rig. He knew what was about to come and didn’t even fight just ducked out for years instead. That’s your GOAT? lol.

Gsp lost to hendricks

Yeah he got the piss beaten out of him and he was like this ain’t for me. Even Ronda got knocked out and still fought Nunes. She has more of a warrior spirit than GSP does.

Yeah he got the piss beaten out of him and he was like this ain’t for me. Even Ronda got knocked out and still fought Nunes. She has more of a warrior spirit than GSP does.
I also like how he was "against" juice

Jones has earned the right to do what he wants ... look how many defenses he had and he’s prepping for a move up

okay what about aldo silva fedor.. never ran period

I guarantee you Mcgregor can cut down to featherweight today and fight... that IV shit is used as an excuse
GTFO out of here again...with Conors muscle mass he isnt going anywhere near 145, hell he only just makes LW, why do you think he wanted to fight Dustin at WW and Cerrone?
Talking out of your arse twice in one thread is pretty impressive

GTFO out of here again...with Conors muscle mass he isnt going anywhere near 145, hell he only just makes LW, why do you think he wanted to fight Dustin at WW and Cerrone?
Talking out of your arse twice in one thread is pretty impressive

You think he can’t make FW? If he wants he can cut the weight. You think you can’t lose muscle mass or something? watch how you talk to me.. you GTFO here

Khabib fan here lmao. Retired after three title defences after winning the VACANT title against Al Iquinta to protect his 29-0 record, mostly made of bums. GSP domimated a tough WW division for many years. Oh yeah and Bisping just out-struck Silva and Ko’d Rockhold
And then got the shit kicked out of him by Henderson before fighting Gsp with one eye. You left that part out

You think he can’t make FW? If he wants he can cut the weight. You think you can’t lose muscle mass or something? watch how you talk to me.. you GTFO here
pffft nope, he wont lose his muscle mass as hes in love with the way he looks , you only have to understand that by all the pics he takes of himself flexing in his jocks.
I will talk how I please, especially when it involves you talking absolute bollocks in most of your shit dribbling posts.

pffft nope, he wont lose his muscle mass as hes in love with the way he looks , you only have to understand that by all the pics he takes of himself flexing in his jocks.
I will talk how I please, especially when it involves you talking absolute bollocks in most of your shit dribbling posts.

so your entire argument is he doesn’t want to cut down to FW because he wants to keep his looks? Right got it. Einstein over here.

Outgrew his division? lmao listen to yourself

have you seen all the fighters lately dropping divisions with ease? garbrandt aldo everyone is going down... how come it’s not getting harder for them?

please... the only casual here is you

IV Ban. I said it. Learn to read.

Everyone knows GSP is the UFC GOAT, no need to rub it in the faces of Khabib and Anderson nuthuggers.

Be merciful, as GSP fans you have great power, and with great powers come great responsibility.

Conduct yourselves like GSP himself would, let the hater talk trash at press conference (heavies), and then destroy them in the octagonal structure (war room).

RUSH BLESS

GSP definitely the GOAT:
-never popped for juice (this rules Anderson and Jones out forever)
-long dominant run at his natural weight class
-avenged every loss
-2 weight world champ
-fought world class competition for pretty much his entire career
-beat other GOAT-tier fighters like Hughes and Penn

Lengh of stay at the top and quality of opposition put him over Khabib for me. Khabibs the 155 GOAT and an amazing fighter/person but the records of his opponents and lack of top level grapplers on his resume put him behind the grease for me. GSP outstruck the best strikers and outwrestled two NCAA champs. His opponents had more wins and fewer losses than Khabib's. Also more of his wins came as champ when he had a target on his back. A win when youre on top means more than a win on your way up, because your opposition is better and you're the most studied guy.

To MMA casuals it stands out in contrast but any astute observer of the sport knows that Ronda was arguably the most overhyped fighter in MMA history. She was saying dumb ass things like believing she’s able to beat male fighters. I mean her entire promotion was contrived. The first contender she faced she got knocked out by in Holm. What happened to Holm again? Yeah.
She went out on her shield but overhyped herself to the nth degree. There’s a difference between someone who overhypes themselves then goes out on their shield and someone who has proven time and time again he’s the big dog. Don’t get the two confused.

To use ronda as a counterexample in anything related to the men’s GOAT talks is blasphemous.
If you don’t think that Ronda is in the conversation for female goat then I don’t know what to tell you. Yes the talks around here were ridiculous for a time during her reign, but frankly her attitude and her losses did way more damage than they should have to her overall legacy.

But that’s fine. Agree to disagree with respect to Ronda. BJ and Gomi both took a hit to their legacy for sticking around too long. Aldo probably could have retired after the second Mendes fight and there wouldn’t be so many people somehow saying he’s behind McGregor all time. Not saying I agree with any of these perceptions, but the fact that they exist in fairly significant quantities seems to run counter to your claim.

But I get it. These are other people’s opinions and not yours. So how about this; we can agree that if it were a reliable metric we would be able to see multiple instances of consistent application across the board. So instead of me giving you suitable examples where it explicitly can’t be a metric, how about you give me some outside of Khabib and GSP where it actually can be applied? Because maybe I’m just not thinking of some obvious ones, but if it’s just those two cases then it’s not really a rule.

Back