The reason the UFC will never be accepted as a mainstream sport competition....

How much more mainstream does it have to get, folks? It's on Fox, it does over 125 million dollars on PPV, it gets publicity on major sports networks, it outdraws college football games on the same network.

Like...what else do you guys want? There's a cap for all this stuff, folks.

Many big boxing matches have rematch clauses in them, in favor of the champ. This is common and not that weird in combat sports.

The UFC will never be legitimate or part of the mainstream because (fill in your pet peeve about the UFC).

soon as I saw the title I knew this was gonna be a Jones butthurt thread :p

also GSP fought Serra, Koscheck, Hughes and then Serra again. just turned out that because Serra was injured he couldn't defend his title and then GSP was the no1 contender when he was ok to fight.

The fact that marketable champions gets extra favor over other fighters - that shows its truly not ''fair'' and ''equal'' treatment for all players/fighters.

Anderson Silva gets KO'd in a fairly non competitive fight - instant rematch

GSP gets KO'd in a fairly competitive match - instant rematch

BJ loses close decision in a super competitive match - instant rematch

Alexander loses close decision in a super competitive match - no rematch

One can argue that its fair because Champions should receive the benefit of the doubt and another chance, but if so stop complaining when we aren't looked at as a high level sanctioned sport!

Boxing does the same thing and they are accepted as a main stream sport.

Also get your facts right. GSP had to beat Kos and Hughes to rematch Serra

Yeah it sucks that it happens but I highly doubt its the reason MMA is not mainstream. I think America is just too family friendly as whole for something with the aesthetic that MMA has to become a mainstream sport.

Athletes deserve equal pay. It's unfair better ones make more money.

The fact that marketable champions gets extra favor over other fighters - that shows its truly not ''fair'' and ''equal'' treatment for all players/fighters.

!

The difference is all the guys you mentioned are champions and former reigning champions. Gustafsson is not a champion nor is he a reigning champion. He deserved no rematch nor does he deserve anything outside of what he got which was a chance.

You even comparing Gus to Anderson, BJ Penn or even GSP is where this thread fails. Gustafsson is not on that level of an instant rematch nor has he accomplished enough as a fighter to warrant an automatic rematch. Rematch clauses are usually put in reigning champions contracts and are given that accommodation because of their tenure as Champions. Gus has no championship tenure to pull shit out of shit and that is why this thread is silly.

A teacher who has been teaching at the highest level for years has tenure in the board of education whereas a substitute teacher does not and can get fired fairly easily. Gus is a rookie/substitute who just got his chance and did well but that does not warrant an automatic rematch which is usually guaranteed to champions.

The thread is ridiculous

Last edited:
accepted as a mainstream sport competition

I saw highlights of the Jones/Gus fight on several ESPN and Sportsnet.

I write novels. Writing is art and some writers, based upon their talents, deserve more success than others.

However, publishing is a business and business is all about what sells. I have friends you've never heard of who are brilliant writers. Meanwhile, Paris Hilton is a fucking bestselling author. So is Madonna. Welcome to real life.

One can argue that its fair because Champions should receive the benefit of the doubt and another chance, but if so stop complaining when we aren't looked at as a high level sanctioned sport!

1 GSP did not get "immediate" rematch with Serra & the fight was never competitive
2- All 3 were champions that lost belts, not challengers that lost UD's

I write novels. Writing is art and some writers, based upon their talents, deserve more success than others.

However, publishing is a business and business is all about what sells. I have friends you've never heard of who are brilliant writers. Meanwhile, Paris Hilton is a fucking bestselling author. So is Madonna. Welcome to real life.

LOL... Well done. As Tom Leykis would say... "90% of the world goes to the Olive Garden. That doesn't mean they have good food"

Gustafson wasn't the champ, and GSP fought twice before he rematched Serra for the title. The UFC gets more recognition on ESPN then the NHL and is on Basic Cable something that boxing isn't even on, I'd say it's pretty mainstream.

If having regular events on network and cable television with multiple outlets of coverage (ESPN, SI) isn't mainstream, I don't know what is.

How is MMA less mainstream than any other sport?

this never happens in other sports.....

I can't tell if you are being sarcastic, but no, it rarely doesn't.

The ONLY instance in boxing I can remember this happening is Lewis vs Rahman

1379826291000-USP-MMA-UFC-165-Jones-vs-Gustafsson-001.jpg

you're talking like Gus is on a 17 fight win streak with 10 title defenses, lol.

stop crying.

Back