The reason Rousey/Carmouche and Dodson/JOhnson is headlining is....

If the only two people in a division fight, is it really a championship fight?

Including the people starting threads on how Hendo/Machida should headline over the very first UFC women's title fight?

This.

I bet you didn't like or maybe still don't like FLW fights, maybe you don't enjoy FW and BW too.

Horrible assumptions.

UFC has done multiple 5 round fights on the same card before, why can't they do it for this one?

Just curious, which fights? I think this is interesting if it's true. :D

Women's boxing is a thriving business, yes?

I actually enjoy wmma for the most part. I knew who Liz Carmouche was before two weeks ago. I am a Kelly Kobold and Sarah Kaufman fan. They have some talent and I enjoy watching some of their fights, but they shouldn't be headlining ppv's. What I like or dislike can't change the reality of things, and the reality is that wmma is a sideshow in a niche sport, whether you like it or not.

I don't think you understood my post.

I understood perfectly well, sadly.

I bet you didn't like or maybe still don't like FLW fights, maybe you don't enjoy FW and BW too.

I actually somewhat enjoy wmma.
FW is actually the most compelling of any of the divisions at the moment in my opinion and Aldo is my favorite fighter.
I'm also a fan of Jon Dodson.
Not a big fan of bantamweight so I guess you got me there.

All for women in the UFC but not headlining PPV's on their debut fight. What if Rousey loses? Will they push Carmouche as hard as they did her?

Of course not. That's why I hate the idea of handing out a UFC title belt, then hedging by not signing 5-6 fighters to make up a real division, treating a PPV headlining fight like an experimental tryout, and Dana White is saying he doesn't know what'll happen after that. They're half-assing it - making shit up as they go along.

There is no need to have the Rousey fight as the main event. The belt is cheap, anyway.

LHW number 1 contender fight >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> WMMA title fight

It's a great way to gauge how well the womens division will do with their current most popular fighter on a PPV. Invest in Ronda, throw her in a PPV to see how much money she can make you. Work from there.

I wasn't aware that you're personal likes and dislikes was a cross section of all MMA fans everywhere.

no youre not...youre patting your own back by making this thread instead of actually directing your comments to people who make the threads you are bitching about by...news flash...posting directly where the discussion is already happening

Hey TS: you're an idiot. While I agree that a title fight should always headline, less popular title fights like rousey's debut should be co main and another title fight should be the main.

How could you possibly "cheapen a belt" more than it already is? The belt Rousey currently holds was created two weeks ago for a division that has had zero fights and currently has how many fighters, two?

so the FW title is cheapened since they gave it to Aldo even though he hadnt fought in the UFC yet....

The Women's belt is currently 'cheap'. What should have happened is it should still be the main event (because it is a title fight) but make the title up for grabs. BJ Penn vs Sean Sherk was a fight like this. Realistically, Ronda will more than likely armbar Carmouche within 60 seconds of the fight, but I still don't believe its fair that she gets the title.

You could always make the argument that it is a brand new division, and the company is ZUFFA owned. Jose Aldo vs Mark Hominick was introduced as Aldo being the champion. At the time I had no issue with Aldo being introduced as the champion before having an official UFC bought, but looking back at the BW and FW titles being given before the inaugural fights took place, I have changed my mind. It would have been much more meaningful to have the fights first, then the champion declared from the winner of the fight.

Title fights are the cream of the crop in every combat sport. A title is what every fighters aspires to have. Regardless if a fighter has been at the top of the heap for 1 day or for 10 years, a title fight is and should always be the most important match.

On a side note... WAR UFC 157, this event is going to be awesome!

Womens mma is a sideshow. The UFC is trying to cash in on Rousey's physical appearance and possibly tap into a new market. Title fights getting priority may now be the company policy; but in terms of the sport of mma, in no way is it a more important fight than Hendo/Lyoto. It would be a ppv flop if the UFC put together a women only card. WMMA will always need to leach off the popularity of the men in order to stay afloat.

I'd say Hendo-Machida is a much more important fight in the overal sceme of the sport than seeing Dana's crush Ronda beat up some hand picked opponent who has no chance or two midgets fighting each other. Both the women's division and the flyweight division are sort of oddities/sidshows that most fans are never really going to care that much about.

Just my opinion.

Women's boxing is a thriving business, yes?

I'd say thriving is a bit of an overstatement. More like surviving. When was the last time there was any significant amount of hype over a Women's boxing match? Most people, even fans of fighting couldn't name 3 fighters and they're hardly ever on TV and never on PPV.

Back