The reason behind Khamzat vs. Edwards

It’s not that difficult...

Magny = No name gatekeeper. He’ll do absolutely NOTHING for Khamzats stock. He wouldn’t even bring a handful of views to a free FN card.

Not one person in MMA is worried about Magnys pillow fisted point fighting style.
No one cares about Edwards as well, and I actually think that Magny has more fans that Edwards (at least I like him more).
If they thought that Edwards is a draw, they would still offer him a title shot next (over Burns).
I don't think that's the reason.

I am hoping Leon finishes Khazmat . A finish will bring some hype to Leon. A lot of people are underestimating Leon.

Where is that from?
The last what I've heard (From Dana on press conference at the last fight night, I think) that Magny does want to fight him, and they working right now on it.

And even if he turned down this particular date, they could just arrange it on some other date, and not mess with Edwards rating and so on.
And by the way, before they did all the rating shit, they offered the fight to Edwards which he turned down.
We can all read between the lines. Magny called him out, and either Khamzat or Dana chose against it.

And we all know why. It's because the risk-to-reward is too high. If Khamzat beats Magny (a risky fight) he really didn't advance very far up the ladder. Edwards is dangerous too - in a very different way - but the reward is higher.

Hey. This is the game that Dana has created the rules for. Every party wants a win-win bout; lowest risk possible, highest reward possible. Some fighters have more negotiation power than others - Khamzat has more than Magny, apparently - but by now everyone knows and is playing by these rules.

Where is that from?
The last what I've heard (From Dana on press conference at the last fight night, I think) that Magny does want to fight him, and they working right now on it.

And even if he turned down this particular date, they could just arrange it on some other date, and not mess with Edwards rating and so on.
And by the way, before they did all the rating shit, they offered the fight to Edwards which he turned down.

There was an interview with Chimaev from this weekend where they asked what happened with the Magny fight. Khamzat said that Magny had declined since he wouldn’t be ready by that date. It was almost two months away at that time.

I think Leon has a lot to win in this fight. All eyes are gonna be on this fight.

This was the right fight to book all along and they match-up quite well and it makes sense for both guys as they both wanna climb the ladder and fight for the title next and I have no doubt the winner of this fight will get Title shoot. Win-Win for both guys

We can all read between the lines. Magny called him out, and either Khamzat or Dana chose against it.

We all know why. It's because the risk-to-reward is too high. If Khamzat beats Magny (a risky fight) he really didn't advance very far up the ladder. Edwards is dangerous too - in a very different way - but the reward is higher.

Hey. This is the game that Dana has created the rules for. Every party wants a win-win bout. Some fighters have more negotiation power than others - Khamzat has more than Magny, apparently - but by now everyone knows and is playing by these rules.

You just basically said what I think it is, that Magny is not a good path for Khamzat to a title, but it does not says that Magny did not agree on a date.

You just basically said what I think it is, that Magny is not a good path for Khamzat to a title, but it does not says that Magny did not agree on a date.
In no uncertain terms, he's been fast tracked.

I am hoping Leon finishes Khazmat . A finish will bring some hype to Leon. A lot of people are underestimating Leon.

Because the world would be so much more fun with the overly charismatic Leon The Destroyer Edwards, who wants to point fight 24/7.
I guess we see things differently, nothing wrong with that.

Khamzat is undeserving of a shot at the number 3 ranked welterweight that is on an 8 fight win streak.
i guess that top ranked guy should win then and make it 9 straight.

There was an interview with Chimaev from this weekend where they asked what happened with the Magny fight. Khamzat said that Magny had declined since he wouldn’t be ready by that date. It was almost two months away at that time.

I think Leon has a lot to win in this fight. All eyes are gonna be on this fight.

Wait what Magny declined a December 19th showdown with Khamzat?

Edwards should be fighting Gilbert Burns for a title shot. Fuckin hell, people use to claim the UFC was so much better than boxing but look what's happening now. Pick and choosing match ups to build up preferred fighters records and gift title shots to undeserving fighters. What a fucking joke.

I get where you're coming from but let's be real. In boxing, they create that can for a legitimate fighter to crush. This isnt that. This is people saying this guy is good I reckon he could be champ and the UFC respecting that and letting us see.

Like Human Bass said, if it was boxing we would have waited 5 years just to see him fight a respectable fighter. In MMA if you look like you're that good, and you're talking like you're that good then lets see what you've got. I'd take that approach every day of the week.

Apparently. Swedish TV released an interview this past weekend where they talked about it.

Thanks. His a good guy and everything I like the guy he carries himself well in interviews etc etc but I didn't want to see him get smeshed and he kinda of dodged a bullet. Because he was gonna get smeshed guaranteed and it didn't look competitive to me stylistically either and after watching the RDA fight I lost inerest in that fight

Yea Dana probably wants to just fast track someone who he thinks can beat Snoozeman. Seeing as Leon already lost to him they probably don't think he's that guy.

It's easy to go ahead in advance and try to fast track a guy, I keep thinking about Adrien Broner's run in boxing, he was so highly touted, even Dana White was singing his praises, described him as "Mayweather with offense". Then he fought a guy named Marcos Maidana and we all know how that went, he got hurt, he got dropped and was never the same after that fight.

That's why I never say this guy or that guy is going to be champ based on them smashing lower level opposition, Broner for instance, looked like a world beater against mid tier guys, but when he stepped up even against the Paulie Magliniaggis, it got a lot harder. And against top guys like Porter, Garcia and Pacquiao, he was virtually outclassed.

Guys,
Before the Khamzat vs. Edwards fight was announced, people on Sherdog were speculating why UFC does not make the Khamzat vs. Magny fight, and whether Khamzat ducks Magny, I knew that Khamzat does not, but the reason why the fight hasn't been announced yet, was bothering myself as well.
But after the fight vs. Edwards was announced, I think that I understood the reason.
I'm pretty sure that UFC just wanted to give the title shot to Khamzat as soon as possible, and you cannot give it to someone that beats 9th ranked, so they found a pretty genius idea to pressure Edwards who ranked 3rd, and make him fight Khamzat.
If Khamzat wins I'm pretty sure they'll give him the title shot, but if he'll lose they are not obligated to do the same to Edwards as he'll beat an unranked fighter.

I just cannot think on another reason why not give Magny the fight, and given the new relationship between Dana and his new son, Khamzat it looks more than probable.

What do you think?

gotta admit, i'm excited to see this fight...wanna see how khamzat does against a highly ranked guy. people say, he's fought only bums...it's not always who you fight, but how dominant you look when you beat them. and every single fight, I have seen of his, he's looked impressive..

Back