The Reality of a Knife Attack

advocating pocket carry without anything to protect the trigger is flat out dangerous.
He claimed most knife attacks are loons who give off plenty of warning, he has no facts to back that up.
The idea you can always maintain 3ft distance at all times, and he continues to ignore the Tueller study/still, which has been the basis of training for police departments across the country for 20 or so years at least.

I’d have no problem if he stated his opinions as opinions rather than stating them as if they were facts.

Thanks.

Didn't he specifically say use a DA revolver for pocket carry? Double action is hard to accidentally discharge.

Does anybody have any facts on how most knife attacks go down? Or is everyone simply biased by there own observations?

I think he walked that 3ft. distance back to saying it was possible most of the time. That's easy to do where I live, but not so easy walking down the streets of Manhattan.

Reminds me of this 2 part piece.

https://www.policeone.com/edged-wea...ense-Is-or-was-the-21-foot-rule-valid-Part-1/
https://www.policeone.com/close-qua...ense-Is-or-was-the-21-foot-rule-valid-Part-2/

Thanks.

Didn't he specifically say use a DA revolver for pocket carry? Double action is hard to accidentally discharge.

Does anybody have any facts on how most knife attacks go down? Or is everyone simply biased by there own observations?

I think he walked that 3ft. distance back to saying it was possible most of the time. That's easy to do where I live, but not so easy walking down the streets of Manhattan.

Reminds me of this 2 part piece.

https://www.policeone.com/edged-wea...ense-Is-or-was-the-21-foot-rule-valid-Part-1/
https://www.policeone.com/close-qua...ense-Is-or-was-the-21-foot-rule-valid-Part-2/
i don't think he ever specified between SA, DA, or SA/DA
in general even with a DA and a safety i still think pocket carry is one of the stupidest things a gun owner can do.

i've tried to find information, but haven't found any solid studies or anything like that. i don't believe i said any specific method was most likely, just that i think its silly and dangerous to make a statement on the most likely way such an attack would occur without backing it up with some sort of facts.

good articles.
ya it seems regardless of the subject matter in self defense a lot of good lessons get extremely twisted and messed up before long. for both military, police, and civilians too many people looking just to make money offering seminars, and bringing up a subject or topic and then not thoroughly covering it. either because they instruct the attendees to look up more information, or because they just feel like packing as many different topics into their seminar to make it seem like the customer is getting the most bang for their buck.

Last edited:
i don't think he ever specified between SA, DA, or SA/DA
in general even with a DA and a safety i still think pocket carry is one of the stupidest things a gun owner can do.

i've tried to find information, but haven't found any solid studies or anything like that. i don't believe i said any specific method was most likely, just that i think its silly and dangerous to make a statement on the most likely way such an attack would occur without backing it up with some sort of facts.

I could be misremembering.

Stupid because you're sure that eventually the person will discharge the gun while pulling it from their pocket? Aren't many guns designed to be pocket-carried? Like the Beretta Tomcat?

Fair enough. I don't remember how exactly he phrased it.

I could be misremembering.

Stupid because you're sure that eventually the person will discharge the gun while pulling it from their pocket? Aren't many guns designed to be pocket-carried? Like the Beretta Tomcat?

Fair enough. I don't remember how exactly he phrased it.
stupid because any number of circumstances can cause unintentional actuation of the trigger if it’s not properly covered/protected.

When I hear or read ‘pocket carry’ I interpret that as simply sticking a gun in your pocket. Which judging from his post about not even needing to draw and shooting from inside the pocket seems to be what he’s talking about.

There are special clothing items with holsters sewn into the pockets, I have no problems with those, or this little clip type things that secure to a belt loop or waist band and simply get pulled off the weapon once the maximum length of the lanyard has been reached via the draw.

The easy counter to what I’m going to say is ‘just pay attention’ but let’s be real, we all do silly things because sometimes our minds are elsewhere. A ‘silly’ mistake with unprotected trigger can easily go from silly to deadly.

For example I have pockets layers out specifically for certain things.

Spare mag(I do pocket carry my spare) and phone carry permit left pocket along with house keys.

DL, car keys, debit card right pocket.

I do that set up every day, but every once in a while I’ll absent mindedly put my phone or house keys in the wrong pocket.
Now imagine you absent mindedly put house keys in a pocket with a gun. It’s really not that far fetched of a scenario that a key gets into the trigger guard and discharges the weapon while you’re going about your daily life.

i try to remain more friendly than that as well, but when someone refuses to acknowledge long held repeatable drills that have been proven in training, and in real life in order to spout their opinion, if that opinion is going to get people killed or seriously hurt for being taken seriously.

He’s making statements about deadly force attacks and responses with a clear lack of knowledge and understanding of the subject, while acting like some sort of authority.
He's allowed to have an opinion. You can dispute it, if you like, but you haven't proven him wrong (which is why you resorted to attacks on his intelligence).

I think you both make valid points. Yes, a random psycho or terrorist can walk up and stab you for no apparent reason and with no intention of surviving the day. You can also die in a car accident on your way to the martial arts gym. At the end of the day, life is full of risk, and we all manage risk in our own way. If he's willing to allow for the risk of a random attacker with no pre-attack indicators on the basis that it's sufficiently low probability that it doesn't warrant a great amount of training time, that's his choice.

You can disagree, but don't assume that your answer is the end all be all.

He's allowed to have an opinion. You can dispute it, if you like, but you haven't proven him wrong (which is why you resorted to attacks on his intelligence).

I think you both make valid points. Yes, a random psycho or terrorist can walk up and stab you for no apparent reason and with no intention of surviving the day. You can also die in a car accident on your way to the martial arts gym. At the end of the day, life is full of risk, and we all manage risk in our own way. If he's willing to allow for the risk of a random attacker with no pre-attack indicators on the basis that it's sufficiently low probability that it doesn't warrant a great amount of training time, that's his choice.

You can disagree, but don't assume that your answer is the end all be all.
i never said he couldn’t have an opinion I countered him for wording his opinions as fact.

There’s a big difference saying “I think the most common way for knife attacks to occur is X” with no supporting evidence, and saying “in my experience” or “in my opinion”

I never said he couldn’t have an opinion, just calling him out for his phrasing and lack of supporting evidence for his beliefs.

Back