The Reality of a Knife Attack

laz0001

I like learning things
@Brown
Reaction score
I love this seminar video - it's the perfect embodiment of a reality-based self-defence.

Very Good, thanks.

I had some shooting buddies who used to practice stuff like this back when I was taking epee fencing classes. We did the victim against the wall bit and used fencing masks, so the face wasn't off limits.

95%+ if the knife attacker got you cornered that close and you missed, (your first and last/only) shot to trap & counter or punch his face as viciously as possible, you were butchered every time, and that's all there was to it.

Anything was possible but the odds were incredibly against you.

The attacker's face was usually the only hope. (to create enough time to survive) If you went for the body he'd sink the knife in your face every time.

Last edited:
The only thing which came to my mind after seeing that vid, don't come in that uncomfortable position. Because if you..... It's over or nearly over.

The reality of knife attack is unless you are marked for death by crime syndicate, no one will likely sneak up on you in broad daylight in crowded area, in full view of everyone, and shank you.

It will likely be a loony who is giving off bad vibes a mile away.

The reality of knife attack is unless you are marked for death by crime syndicate, no one will likely sneak up on you in broad daylight in crowded area, in full view of everyone, and shank you.

It will likely be a loony who is giving off bad vibes a mile away.
you make this declaration based off of what data? what statistics? in case you havent noticed terrorists have a habit of killing people at random in broad day light, maybe you pissed someone off and didn't realize until they were in your face with blade, or some gangs just require new recruits to commit a violent attack against someone, and that someone might just be you. you're saying things with absolutely no support.
https://www.vocativ.com/382144/isis...guides-for-lone-wolf-knife-attacks/index.html

so were those people syndicate assassins?

the one in china, unless you happened to look behind you right as he pulled knives you'd have no chance to react if you were the first victim

you make this declaration based off of what data? what statistics? in case you havent noticed terrorists have a habit of killing people at random in broad day light, maybe you pissed someone off and didn't realize until they were in your face with blade, or some gangs just require new recruits to commit a violent attack against someone, and that someone might just be you. you're saying things with absolutely no support.
https://www.vocativ.com/382144/isis...guides-for-lone-wolf-knife-attacks/index.html

so were those people syndicate assassins?

the one in china, unless you happened to look behind you right as he pulled knives you'd have no chance to react if you were the first victim

In the first vid, there is plenty of space between attacker and the victims. It seems like there is some chest puffing going on first, and things were escalating. So yes, bad vibes being given off. The first vid is not a sneak attack.

Second one sure, but chances it happens? Chances some crazy guy, who has no intentions of getting away, or has no idea why, will do that to you.

In the first vid, there is plenty of space between attacker and the victims. It seems like there is some chest puffing going on first, and things were escalating. So yes, bad vibes being given off. The first vid is not a sneak attack.

Second one sure, but chances it happens? Chances some crazy guy, who has no intentions of getting away, or has no idea why, will do that to you.
first one all we see is a guy coming from off screen, you’re just making shit up to suit your needs.

Sure there was space, but that’s irrelevant, again, I refer you to the Tueller study/drill, which you keep ignoring for some reason. 21 feet is too close, anything closer is too close.

Get over yourself you clearly have no idea what you’re talking about

first one all we see is a guy coming from off screen, you’re just making shit up to suit your needs.

Sure there was space, but that’s irrelevant, again, I refer you to the Tueller study/drill, which you keep ignoring for some reason. 21 feet is too close, anything closer is too close.

Get over yourself you clearly have no idea what you’re talking about

LOL, the would be victim is facing the direction of attacker, and making gestures with his hands. Then once the attackers pops on screen, there is someone grabbing his collar from behind. What does that indicate to you? If perhaps the victims had CCW, they have their hands on it already.

Are you the fat neck beard hosting the vids you posted? You take yourself way too serious.

Fyi, we tend to keep things around here a little more friendly than this. :)
i try to remain more friendly than that as well, but when someone refuses to acknowledge long held repeatable drills that have been proven in training, and in real life in order to spout their opinion, if that opinion is going to get people killed or seriously hurt for being taken seriously.

He’s making statements about deadly force attacks and responses with a clear lack of knowledge and understanding of the subject, while acting like some sort of authority.

LOL, the would be victim is facing the direction of attacker, and making gestures with his hands. Then once the attackers pops on screen, there is someone grabbing his collar from behind. What does that indicate to you? If perhaps the victims had CCW, they have their hands on it already.

Are you the fat neck beard hosting the vids you posted? You take yourself way too serious.
lmao he’s not me, but sure go ahead and criticize someone who makes their living teaching others about how to protect themselves from violence.

You should probably stop watching 70’s action movies and get some actual relevant firearms training.

i try to remain more friendly than that as well, but when someone refuses to acknowledge long held repeatable drills that have been proven in training, and in real life in order to spout their opinion, if that opinion is going to get people killed or seriously hurt for being taken seriously.

He’s making statements about deadly force attacks and responses with a clear lack of knowledge and understanding of the subject, while acting like some sort of authority.

We all get frustrated from time to time. The vibe in here is incredibly chill and supportive of each other. Welcome to the forum.

What exactly did he say that's factually incorrect? And what's the evidence that proves him so. On initial read I took your differences as mostly a matter of opinion.

lmao he’s not me, but sure go ahead and criticize someone who makes their living teaching others about how to protect themselves from violence.

You should probably stop watching 70’s action movies and get some actual relevant firearms training.

You are offended I stated is very unlikely anyone will be attacked in broad daylight in front of many people by a crazy person. But you just so badly want to believe it can happen to you. Do you want that chance to finally become a hero or something after waiting all these decades?

You dumbass, what drills have I refused to acknowledge or dismiss? I state is unlikely you will be attacked with knife in broad daylight in front of many people. You post vids of two knife attacks, and think that means we are all in eminent danger now.

I've lost two close friends to knife attacks & had them pulled on me twice. So, I know from first-hand experience just how dangerous they can be.
The first friend I lost, Dave, was a Golden Gloves heavyweight who was drunk & overconfident during a spat with his live-in girlfriend when she pulled a kitchen knife on him. He didn't take the threat seriously & tried to take the knife away from her & she stabbed him in the chest & he bled out before the paramedics ever got there.
The other friend was Calvin "Pop" Porter a former top twenty welterweight contender who was a notorious street fighter in his area who died under very similar circumstances to Dave as he got into an altercation with an individual that pulled a knife on him in front of a corner store in Niagara Falls, NY. Again, it was a situation of him not respecting the blade & he got stabbed directly in the aorta & died immediately.
In my two situations, I was very lucky on both occasions. But, I unlike my friends I knew to be fully aware of just how dangerous the blades could be.
In the first incident, I confronted a rather unstable guy at a party who had tried to hit on my then-girlfriend in a vulgar way & because he knew what I'd do to him in an unarmed fight he pulled a butcher knife on me. So, I picked up a kitchen chair & proceeded to batter him through a window with it. After which he ran off.
Then, about a decade later my step-daughters boyfriend pulled a knife on me when I went over to their place to calm him down during an argument he was having with her. In that case, I could have probably disarmed him without too much trouble but I didn't want to risk getting cut so I just hit him with a right hand, dropped him & then took it away from him.
That I was able to get through both incidents without getting cut though is unusual & I realize how lucky I am. I could have easily wound up like both of my friends had I not had the awareness that I'd gained from my training in combatives as opposed to just boxing.

We all get frustrated from time to time. The vibe in here is incredibly chill and supportive of each other. Welcome to the forum.

What exactly did he say that's factually incorrect? And what's the evidence that proves him so. On initial read I took your differences as mostly a matter of opinion.
advocating pocket carry without anything to protect the trigger is flat out dangerous.
He claimed most knife attacks are loons who give off plenty of warning, he has no facts to back that up.
The idea you can always maintain 3ft distance at all times, and he continues to ignore the Tueller study/still, which has been the basis of training for police departments across the country for 20 or so years at least.

I’d have no problem if he stated his opinions as opinions rather than stating them as if they were facts.

You dumbass, what drills have I refused to acknowledge or dismiss? I state is unlikely you will be attacked with knife in broad daylight in front of many people. You post vids of two knife attacks, and think that means we are all in eminent danger now.
ive literally brought up the Tueller drill at least twice and both times you ignored it.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wideopenspaces.com/tueller-drill-need-train/amp/

I never said anyone was in eminent danger, you simply chose to make claims with out support, and ignore simple things.

Last edited:
advocating pocket carry without anything to protect the trigger is flat out dangerous.
He claimed most knife attacks are loons who give off plenty of warning, he has no facts to back that up.
The idea you can always maintain 3ft distance at all times, and he continues to ignore the Tueller study/still, which has been the basis of training for police departments across the country for 20 or so years at least.

I’d have no problem if he stated his opinions as opinions rather than stating them as if they were facts.

You moron, when did I state those in this thread? That was a another thread. But did you even read my responses let alone understand them? You have anger management issues.

Back