The real way to beat Jones

Yes, Gus showed us how to beat Jones, Just like HMC beats Semmy. You just have to be the same size. They have been beating smaller guys for a long time, and struggle against guys their own size.

I think if DC is close enough to land a body shot he's gonna be shooting.. at least for the first few rounds. It's hard to compare Gus's standup and success with that of Cormier. What had Jones in trouble with Gus was somewhat of a boxers "ringmanship" Gus understands the sweet science and footwork to dictate the angles in the standup. I think Cormier's strategy will be nearly completely opposite and try to bully and clinch.

I agree. I'm sure DC's will be cruder looking with the obvious intention of trying to get in, stay in, and bully him. He won't be getting in and out with his striking as well as Gustafsson was so he'll have to try and stick to him, smother and beat him up. He'll be looking to use his clinch fighting a lot, his dirty boxing and takedowns specifically. Being the shorter man will allow him to get underneath Jones easier, will make it harder for Jon to get him down, but it doesn't help his reach deficit and being the much shorter man means he'll be more susceptible to eating knees and head kicks. He'll fight according to his style and body type to try and grind him down and smother him on the canvas and against the cage.

Oh my god.
This is just getting so old.

I'm a fucking Manlet and was eye to eye with Pettis and he fucking demolished Cerrone.
Bendo isn't tall. Dos Anjos isn't tall.

You guys are so obsessed with this reach and height shit.

Yea, I was hoping that guy was just trying to troll...

Not trolling I believe body punches, a great wrestler and fouling him mostly eye pokes.

like mo said, getting him to move backwards too. just gotta protect those eyes in the process.

It's for sure not leg kicks. he's just going to catch that shit then put you on your ass.

If Dominick Cruz had a middleweight or even welterweight frame he would kill JBJ

I've been watching mma for about seven years and I've helped coach (legitimately, before anyone says that I haven't. It's a little gym where I also learned to box.) anyway, everyone says they figured out how to beat Jones... But I've never seen anyone give the real key to victory.

The answer is simple. It's body punches. Alexander Gustafsson may not have won, but he arguably did best against Jones (the only other person I'd say did well was Machida). He also landed 27 body shots and was constantly threatening. This, combined with his long reach and large stature, allowed him to take down Jones. JBJ tires easily (through damage) but he can take a lot of it. Gustafsson was more resiliant to damage, and though he isn't as skilled as Jones, his intangibles allow him to stay standing and keep fighting through pain. He's kind of like Goku in this way, if you think about it. He takes damage but his ability to fight doesn't fall like Jones' fighting ability did (in that fight).

Anyway, the way to beat Jones is to fatigue him quickly, because when he gets tired, he's much easier to hit.

I'm not a coach and I respect your opinion, but the Best thing Gus did in that fight was his movement. His ability to punch and kick from numerous angles and never give jones a good target made jones uncomfortable. When your uncomfortable you don't through those risky, but highly damaging shots.

When Gus's movement slowed, jones found him cornered him and began to hurt him with heavy stuff.

Completely intentional

Well then.

1380697092809.jpg

So to beat Jones, you need to punch him?

You've cracked the case.

Back