The real way to beat Jones

ItsyBitsySilva

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
I've been watching mma for about seven years and I've helped coach (legitimately, before anyone says that I haven't. It's a little gym where I also learned to box.) anyway, everyone says they figured out how to beat Jones... But I've never seen anyone give the real key to victory.

The answer is simple. It's body punches. Alexander Gustafsson may not have won, but he arguably did best against Jones (the only other person I'd say did well was Machida). He also landed 27 body shots and was constantly threatening. This, combined with his long reach and large stature, allowed him to take down Jones. JBJ tires easily (through damage) but he can take a lot of it. Gustafsson was more resiliant to damage, and though he isn't as skilled as Jones, his intangibles allow him to stay standing and keep fighting through pain. He's kind of like Goku in this way, if you think about it. He takes damage but his ability to fight doesn't fall like Jones' fighting ability did (in that fight).

Anyway, the way to beat Jones is to fatigue him quickly, because when he gets tired, he's much easier to hit.

Hmmm...a combination of insight as well as stupidity in this post. :icon_lol: at "I've been watching for 7 years".

Hmmm...a combination of insight as well as stupidity in this post. :icon_lol: at "I've been watching for 7 years".

he also coached at a gym...his proof: he learned to box at said little gym

I've seen Jones visibly tired in one fight and that was a war with Gus. Even in that fight he had more gas in the tank to finish than Gus did. To beat Jones you need distance and to be light in your feet, constantly circling and using strong boxing/jabs to keep Jon from setting and punishing you with kicks, or shooting for takedowns. There aren't a whole lot of folks built for that type of game, assuming Jones hasn't continued to evolve like he has before every other fight of his career.

I gotta reach all the audiences. I wrote this to be exactly as you said - insight and stupidity on purpose, I'm just surprised someone caught on lol

I agree that Gus showed the way to beat him, but unfortunately for the rest of the division, they don't have the physicality or the same level of skill as Gus.

It's not body punches, it's' cutting off his shitty footwork

I agree that Gus showed the way to beat him, but unfortunately for the rest of the division, they don't have the physicality or the same level of skill as Gus.

It's not about skills, it's about height & reach advantage.
It's the same reason why Donald Cerrone has problems against taller fighters in his weight division.

It's not about skills, it's about height & reach advantage.
It's the same reason why Donald Cerrone has problems against taller fighters in his weight division.

Oh my god.
This is just getting so old.

I'm a fucking Manlet and was eye to eye with Pettis and he fucking demolished Cerrone.
Bendo isn't tall. Dos Anjos isn't tall.

You guys are so obsessed with this reach and height shit.

I don't see Cormier being any threat to Jones unless he can take him down and keep him there for at least half the round. Body strikes are nice, but unless DC can grind him out, he'll get outpointed or stopped.

Pretty sure it's that reach and height.

It's not body punches, it's' cutting off his shitty footwork

I believe goggles would defeat jones... Can't eye poke, can't capitalize

Also, I think AIDS or necrotizing fasciitis would defeat jones as well

You guys are so obsessed with this reach and height shit.

markhuntko.gif

I gotta reach all the audiences. I wrote this to be exactly as you said - insight and stupidity on purpose, I'm just surprised someone caught on lol

Hmm...I wonder which camp I fall into :icon_neut

I think the guy to beat Jones will be a tall, long-legged kickboxer who can move like Carlos Condit. He will literally chop Jones down with leg kicks that he'll have little to no wind up on them ala Jose Aldo style. I don't know where this guy is right now, but when he shows up on the scene, I'm gonna say "oh snap, the new LHW champ is here!"

All you gotta do is fight him and beat the fuck out of him. Fighters respect him too much. Shogun had the right idea but got caught in the first 3 seconds lol. Rashad was doing good before he started backing up and letting Jones control the center of the cage. Don't let Bones get comfortable, keep pressuring. Too many fighters with superior stand up are terrified of getting taken that they end up getting picked apart.

Bones ain't great at anything, he's just really good at using his lengthy body for TDs and making fighters fear his TDs so much that they lose the stand up. Best chance you got is say fuck it and brawl it out or you gonna get eye gouged to death, then once your blind you'll get picked apart by kicks.

Cormier has what it takes unless the eye gouge hurts him too much.

I think the guy to beat Jones will be a tall, long-legged kickboxer who can move like Carlos Condit. He will literally chop Jones down with leg kicks that he'll have little to no wind up on them ala Jose Aldo style. I don't know where this guy is right now, but when he shows up on the scene, I'm gonna say "oh snap, the new LHW champ is here!"

So, you think that Condit is able to move better for his size than Gustafsson? :icon_lol: And this is coming from a fan of them both.

BTW TS, there is more than one way to beat Jones. Like Da Speeit said, a good bit of this has to do with footwork, cutting the cage off from him and forcing him to consistently fight off his back foot (he's weak here). Jon's footwork is pretty shitty too (Gustafsson's is better).

Gus exposed Jones a bit. Particularly Jones' lack of boxing fundamentals and reliance on being more athletic than his opponent. Gus shut down the take downs and was able to keep it standing. I don't see anyone else at LHW who combines his frame, technique and take down defense though.

Cormier offers something entirely different. A stout chin, heavy hands and beastly wrestling. But I think Jones' length and versatility will win out. Bring on the Gus rematch!

Back