The real reasons DJ gets no respect.

Sonnen didn't get away with cheating. He was suspended for a year following the Silva fight and then essentially forced to retire from the UFC and dropped from FOX Broadcasting after his last failed test.

Gus gets away with his violent past essentially because no one knows much about him. As details of his sordid past have come out more, his popularity has noticeably waned. It's a lot harder to find a Gustaffson AV around here than it was two years ago.

McGregor's cockiness is an almost constant source of complaining on Sherdog. Look on the front page and there will b e a thread about McGregor. open that thread and their will be complaints about his cockiness.

You don't notice those things because your mind is already made up. Which is why I said that your way of thinking is vulnerable to confirmation bias. Such bias is on full display in your latest comment.

Well put.

I meant they got away with retaining their fandom after their incidents.

Definitely due to his stature, but also because people around here have a hard time believing they would lose to him even with zero training because they think they can overpower him with size.

I personally don't like his style of fighting, it's like GSP's lay and pray but on the feet or the equivalent of edgar.

I will never support a point fighter.

I don't think it's so much that people don't respect MM, we all respect what they do. The thing is, alot of people just aren't compelled by that division

Because 90 % of MMA fans are delusional drunken fools that think they can beat MM "because Im taller and weight 200 pounds"

In boxing:
Jack Johnson
Muhammad Ali
Mike Tyson
Roy Jones jr
Floyd mayweather

All of the were extremely hated in America

In MMA:
Anderson silva - lots of people claim he's "not black, he's Brazilian" got tons of disrespect
Rampage Jackson - hated after ko Liddell
Rashad Evans - hated after ko Liddell
Benson Henderson - disrespected for being "boring" aka humble. Criticized for being Christian while other fighters are religious too.
Jon jones - hated even before the dui and hit n run for frivolous reasons.
Demetrius Johnson - see Henderson except for Christianity.
Add Cormier to that list. Ever since he won the belt, he's become "cocky and arrogant."

I meant they got away with retaining their fandom after their incidents.

Did they keep all their fans after their respective incidents? Nope.

Did Mike Tyson lose all his fans after being convicted of rape? Nope.

Did your very selective anecdotal review of fighter popularity levels prove that anyone other than yourself and LA look at fighters through race tinted glasses? Nope.

Sonnen didn't get away with cheating. He was suspended for a year following the Silva fight and then essentially forced to retire from the UFC and dropped from FOX Broadcasting after his last failed test.

Gus gets away with his violent past essentially because no one knows much about him. As details of his sordid past have come out more, his popularity has noticeably waned. It's a lot harder to find a Gustaffson AV around here than it was two years ago.

McGregor's cockiness is an almost constant source of complaining on Sherdog. Look on the front page and there will b e a thread about McGregor. open that thread and their will be complaints about his cockiness.

You don't notice those things because your mind is already made up. Which is why I said that your way of thinking is vulnerable to confirmation bias. Such bias is on full display in your latest comment.

Well put.

I think Gus' popularity waned because of his loss to rumble moreso than details of his past. His initial popularity came from him being a worthy challenger to Jones.

In boxing:
Jack Johnson
Muhammad Ali
Mike Tyson
Roy Jones jr
Floyd mayweather

All of the were extremely hated in America

In MMA:
Anderson silva - lots of people claim he's "not black, he's Brazilian" got tons of disrespect
Rampage Jackson - hated after ko Liddell
Rashad Evans - hated after ko Liddell
Benson Henderson - disrespected for being "boring" aka humble. Criticized for being Christian while other fighters are religious too.
Jon jones - hated even before the dui and hit n run for frivolous reasons.
Demetrius Johnson - see Henderson except for Christianity.

Explain why white fighters get away and get excuses with cheating (sonnen), violence ( Gus) and cockiness (mcgregor) while non-white fighters don't,

Lot's of bullshit, there's plenty of reasons why people dislike these guys. You can be as hypocrite as you want when it comes to white people's "racism", but you're only proving them day by day that you're hypocrite.

Think about it, why would people have problems with those guys, aside from their skin color? I'm sure you can give it a try.

I'm not going to bother making a list of counter-example, the bullshit is big on this one.

Add Cormier to that list. Ever since he won the belt, he's become "cocky and arrogant."

Oh look, it's Lucifer Alpha holding another dumb mainstream opinion. How normal.

I respect him, but I know his division is shallow

I think Gus' popularity waned because of his loss to rumble moreso than details of his past. His initial popularity came from him being a worthy challenger to Jones.

Far enough. I know I personally began to like him less when it came out he had been a thuggish youth.

I find rather dull to watch, but that's just my opinion.

Far enough. I know I personally began to like him less when it came out he had been a thuggish youth.

What the hell his past as a young man has to do with who he is now, Gus really seems like really nice person, everybody do shit when young, give him a break. It's not like he just beat his wife like some fighters are doing.

What the hell his past as a young man has to do with who he is now, Gus really seems like really nice person, everybody do shit when young, give him a break. It's not like he just beat his wife like some fighters are doing.

I have no idea what kind of person Gus seems like. I don't know him. But a guy who was kicking the shit out of people on the streets less than ten years ago who now kicks the shit out of people for a living isn't the kind of fighter I am generally a fan of.

I deeply believe that people change, but I have no reason to believe Gus has. I wasn't a huge fan of his in the first place. Now I am generally apathetic toward him.

His personality is shit. Yea, being flyweight doesnt help but, the guys is just boring

His personality is shit. Yea, being flyweight doesnt help but, the guys is just boring
What's "shit" about it? Seems very articulate and intelligent. I'd much rather listen to DJ break down the fight game than some wack rassling promo you guys cream yourselves over.

I will say that it is good to see that most have simply stopped trying to find fault with what Johnson actually does in the cage and instead admit that it doesn't really matter to them. For the longest time there were still tons of people calling him a point fighter and a runner even after he had walked down one of the better and more powerful counter punchers in the sport and then beat the shit out of him in the last two rounds. He is one of the three best pressure fighters in the sport, I think (I'd probably put RDA and Weidman up with him).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Freddie556
Back