The REAL REASON why the UFC are desperate to have Conor as champ again!

MMAart

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
Ever wonder why the UFC seem desperate to have Conor as champ again? All of us have heard that he's a "huge star," but how popular is he compared to the other top UFC stars?

According to Google Trends (web search) for the past 5 years, Conor's peak popularity is less than 1/3 of Ronda Rousey's in the US:

Untitled.jpg

Conor's popularity in the US is only ranked 6th relative to his popularity in the other countries:

Untitled.jpg

So how is it that Conor seems to be a huge asset for the UFC?

I'm going to suggest to you Sher bros that the reason has to do with Ireland: It's potentially "p4p" a much bigger market than the US right now.

NvTECvM.jpg
According to various sources, Ireland has a huge recent influx of money due to mega multinational corporations (Google, Apple, Microsoft, etc.) transferring hundreds of billions in assets and hiding them there to avoid paying taxes:

Ireland is the biggest “tax haven” in the world used by multinationals to shelter profits, according to a new study by economists from the United States and Denmark.

The research from academics at the University California, Berkeley and the University of Copenhagen estimates that
foreign multinationals shifted $106 billion (€90 billion) of corporate profits to Ireland in 2015. (https://www.irishtimes.com/business...t-corporate-tax-haven-say-academics-1.3528401)

132148_600.jpg

An Irish arm of Google has paid dividends of $50.8bn (€45.3bn) over the past two years, ahead of it losing the benefits of the so-called 'double Irish' tax scheme.

The latest accounts show its profits were entirely tax-free in 2018.
(https://www.independent.ie/business...gle-unit-paid-50bn-in-dividends-38827956.html)

Microsoft last year shifted $52.8 billion (€47.1 billion) worth of assets from Singapore to Ireland, as its Dublin-based European headquarters also assumed control of the software giant’s operations for the entire Asia-Pacific region.

(https://www.irishtimes.com/business...-asian-trading-operation-to-ireland-1.3903630)

source.gif

Last edited:
Conor is a mma superstar,its no rocket science

I get it. At the end of the day its all about money, everything is.

I just hate how it takes away from the integrity of the sport. Connor in no way deserves a TS. And were talking the deepest division in the best MMA organization in the world.

Thank you for showing the stats TS.

Conor is most popular for the amount of people talking about him during a meassured period of time compared to other UFC stars

Ireland has a population of 4.8 million.

US has a population of 330 million. 1/3 of the US is still 20x larger than Ireland.

I don’t think UFC cares about Ireland that much.
<DisgustingHHH>

Last edited:
Funny how the entire Conor fanbase suddenly googled Khabib after he raped that ass. "Who the fook is this guy????"

Stopped reading at “ever wonder”. No, I don’t. McG sells a ton of ppv.

So, what I gather from those stats is that Ronda and Conor is - by far - the biggest names in MMA.

Why would you use the stats to prove anything besides that?

Ireland has a population of 4.8 million.

US has a population of 330 million. 1/3 of the US is still 20x larger than Ireland.

I don’t think UFC cares about Ireland that much.
<DisgustingHHH>
i think they care about 1 mil ppv buys more than 100 mil streaming illegally online.

So, what I gather from those stats is that Ronda and Conor is - by far - the biggest names in MMA.

Why would you use the stats to prove anything besides that?

Ireland is arguably p4p the bigger market than the US right now due to the multinational corporations transferring hundreds of billions of assets there.

The UFC is trying to milk that Irish cashcow ASAP.

Well those graphs are nice and all, but my mom knows who Conor is and has no clue who Ronda Rousey is. My mom doesn't follow sports at all. That says something. If my mom knows who someone is, they have to be a pretty big star.

I also have fight parties all the time. Conor/Cowboy had more people show up than any recent fight I can remember...which is sad because there have been much better fights than that one in the not-too-distant past.

Because the UFC is more interested in live gates and PPV sales than they are in web searches?

Yes, that's true but that's not the entire picture. Ireland is arguably p4p a much more lucrative market than the US right now due to the big corporations transferring hundreds of billions in assets and hiding them in Ireland.

Ever wonder why the UFC seem desperate to have Conor as champ again? All of us have heard that he's a "huge star," but how popular is he compared to the other top UFC stars?

According to Google Trends (web search) for the past 5 years, Conor's peak popularity is less than 1/3 of Ronda Rousey's in the US:

Untitled.jpg

Conor's popularity in the US is only ranked 6th relative to his popularity in the other countries:

Untitled.jpg

So how is it that Conor seems to be a huge asset for the UFC?

I'm going to suggest to you Sher bros that the reason has to do with Ireland: It's potentially "p4p" a much bigger market than the US right now.

NvTECvM.jpg
According to various sources, Ireland has a huge recent influx of money due to mega multinational corporations (Google, Apple, Microsoft, etc.) transferring hundreds of billions in assets and hiding them there to avoid paying taxes:

Ireland is the biggest “tax haven” in the world used by multinationals to shelter profits, according to a new study by economists from the United States and Denmark.

The research from academics at the University California, Berkeley and the University of Copenhagen estimates that
foreign multinationals shifted $106 billion (€90 billion) of corporate profits to Ireland in 2015. (https://www.irishtimes.com/business...t-corporate-tax-haven-say-academics-1.3528401)

132148_600.jpg

An Irish arm of Google has paid dividends of $50.8bn (€45.3bn) over the past two years, ahead of it losing the benefits of the so-called 'double Irish' tax scheme.

The latest accounts show its profits were entirely tax-free in 2018.
(https://www.independent.ie/business...gle-unit-paid-50bn-in-dividends-38827956.html)

Microsoft last year shifted $52.8 billion (€47.1 billion) worth of assets from Singapore to Ireland, as its Dublin-based European headquarters also assumed control of the software giant’s operations for the entire Asia-Pacific region.

(https://www.irishtimes.com/business...-asian-trading-operation-to-ireland-1.3903630)

source.gif

that's actually pretty interesting. Is Endeavor relocating there?

Well those graphs are nice and all, but my mom knows who Conor is and has no clue who Ronda Rousey is. My mom doesn't follow sports at all. That says something. If my mom knows who someone is, they have to be a pretty big star.

I also have fight parties all the time. Conor/Cowboy had more people show up than any recent fight I can remember...which is sad because there have been much better fights than that one in the not-too-distant past.

Avril Lavigne has at least 200-300 Million views per Video and my mom doesnt even know her. Hell … i thought that Avril was a man.

Conor is popular, but his popularity is a bit overrated.

Avril Lavigne has at least 200-300 Million views per Video and my mom doesnt even know her. Hell … i thought that Avril was a man.

Conor is popular, but his popularity is a bit overrated.

Avril has been around for like 20 years...probably longer. I don't know, I'm just guessing. Her videos have been getting views since Youtube started. Not a great comparison.

Conor's popularity is huge for an mma fighter. It's still a niche sport, and while he's not a household name, he's the closest thing to it as far as mma fighters go.

Lol, the Irish Republic has a population of less than 5 million, its small potatoes. Those multinationals base their European operations there because of the low rate of corporation tax, but the EU has told the Irish that they have to raise their rates and maybe even compensate for revenue lost by the big players like Germany.

The UFC is anxious to squeeze as much profit out of McGregor before, you know, other matters possibly intervene.

Trends is a good metric for popularity and public interest, but when a guy holds the all time PPV record you don't really need to analyze their value by online impressions anymore.

Avril has been around for like 20 years...probably longer. I don't know, I'm just guessing. Her videos have been getting views since Youtube started. Not a great comparison.

Conor's popularity is huge for an mma fighter. It's still a niche sport, and while he's not a household name, he's the closest thing to it as far as mma fighters go.

Conor & Mountain couldnt even break 60 Million views.

I would never have heard of conor without Sherdog.

imo Mike Tyson is still the biggest Combat Name lol … 3-4 weeks old Videos got 10+ Million views … thats crazy.

Back