The real reason there is no kung fu in mma.

No dude.
The thread is about Kung Fu in MMA.
That's means hand-to-hand combat discussion. Not swords or guns.
First education is to know what the thread discussion is about.
You're trying to trick me. ;)
Someone said Mongols beat the Chinese Kung Fu masters and you said it was because of weapons, since Kung Fu is "hand to hand combat". That's where I pointed out that it DOES use weapons.

Of course it's an absurd discussion since a bowman on a horse doesn't give a shit how awesome you are with a sword or stick. He's gonna shoot your ass. The Mongol raids were the drive-by shooting of the Middle Ages. ;)

Either way, I'm not bashing Kung Fu, note that I even posted a list of Kung Fu based MMA guys. :)

Most probably don't remember but back in the 80s

EVERYBODY WAS KUNGFOO FIGHTING.

So you have absolutely zero evidence that kung fu techniques are applicable in mma. Thanks, I tried giving you a shot but you're just not getting it
Gonna butt in here if you don't mind. ;)
Define "kung fu techniques"? Kung Fu has punches and kicks that look just like kickboxing. Hell, Sanda looks like kickboxing. If you're only going to define Dim Mak from TV as "kung fu techniques" then I guess it really doesn't work. ;)

So you have absolutely zero evidence that kung fu techniques are applicable in mma. Thanks, I tried giving you a shot but you're just not getting it

NO thanks needed. The fact speaks for itself.

2020792.jpg

You're trying to trick me. ;)
Someone said Mongols beat the Chinese Kung Fu masters and you said it was because of weapons, since Kung Fu is "hand to hand combat". That's where I pointed out that it DOES use weapons.

Of course it's an absurd discussion since a bowman on a horse doesn't give a shit how awesome you are with a sword or stick. He's gonna shoot your ass. The Mongol raids were the drive-by shooting of the Middle Ages. ;)

Either way, I'm not bashing Kung Fu, note that I even posted a list of Kung Fu based MMA guys. :)

Yes, Kung Fu does use weapons.

My bad if I didn't communicate well in that particular post.

Lulz aside, Roy Nelson actually seems to be really serious about his kung fu training.

This was actually pretty entertaining, thanks for posting.
Didn't know Roy was so serious about it. So I guess some individuals CAN make Kung Fu work in MMA, similarly how others can make Karate, TKD, Judo, etc. work as well.

Gonna butt in here if you don't mind. ;)
Define "kung fu techniques"? Kung Fu has punches and kicks that look just like kickboxing. Hell, Sanda looks like kickboxing. If you're only going to define Dim Mak from TV as "kung fu techniques" then I guess it really doesn't work. ;)
So only the kickboxing stuff works? I'm confused by all you kung fu people being vague

So only the kickboxing stuff works? I'm confused by all you kung fu people being vague
I am not a "kung fu person".
I would say that in a kickboxing environment / rule set only the kickboxing-like stuff works, yes.
Similarly like lapel chokes don't work in MMA cause... duh. ;)

I am not a "kung fu person".
I would say that in a kickboxing environment / rule set only the kickboxing-like stuff works, yes.
Similarly like lapel chokes don't work in MMA cause... duh. ;)
Yeah so none of the other stuff besides the kickboxing works in MMA? Correct?

slEXhCv.gif

Kongo Fu is unvinceble

tumblr_o3it2mASyi1v6w3juo1_500.gif

Okay, so are there any kung fu specific techniques that I can't pick up in other TMA's/boxing/kickboxing which are applicable in MMA?

Are there any specific kickboxing techniques that you can't pick up in MT?

Do you answer all questions with questions? Is that a time tested kung fu debating maneuvre?

Kickboxing and thaiboxing, especially in the EU, have major overlaps. Kickboxing in general has more focus on punching and kicking and as such much less (or sometimes zero) focus on clinchwork, knees and elbows.

So if you're a kickboxer, you will have to do MT (in general, in Belgium thaibox and kickbox are interchangable) to get decent elbows and knees.

The problem I'd guess is that none of the active sporting/self defence MA's are "pure", BJJ for example has picked up elements of catch wrestling and I'd guess a lot of MT gyms will have picked up elements of other kickboxing styles.

The issue today is I'd say more what the greater emphasis is put on in terms of training.

Yeah so none of the other stuff besides the kickboxing works in MMA? Correct?
If by other stuff you mean the ball grabs and eye gouges etc then yes. :)

BTW if you asked me the same questions about Karate (my background) I would say the same - the simple punches and kicks in Karate are what would work best for MMA. Of course there's guys like Machida who can even pull off a crane kick and KO a former champ - but I would never say that particular technique is what makes Karate worthwhile.

Heck, if someone asked me if Karate is the best base for MMA I would say NO! MMA is the best base for MMA! But Karate is beneficial for many other reasons and indeed CAN be utilized in MMA as well - not just through its techniques but through speed, timing, footwork, overall fitness, awareness, motivation, discipline etc.

I would argue the same for Kung Fu. Perhaps there are not many successful Kung Fu fighters who have transitioned to MMA but that doesn't mean that Kung Fu is useless. IMHO.

Do you answer all questions with questions? Is that a time tested kung fu debating maneuvre?

Kickboxing and thaiboxing, especially in the EU, have major overlaps. Kickboxing in general has more focus on punching and kicking and as such much less (or sometimes zero) focus on clinchwork, knees and elbows.

So if you're a kickboxer, you will have to do MT (in general, in Belgium thaibox and kickbox are interchangable) to get decent elbows and knees.

Kung Fu focuses on quick combinations and precise strikings, darting in and out, to attack your opponents. It's quite similar to taekwando and karate. And it involves punches, kicks, knees and elbows like the other striking arts.

But if you're gonna argue that MT and kickboxing are superior striking arts than Kung Fu. You get no argument from me. I"m an MT guy.

But the myth that Kung Fu doesn't work in a modern fight has already been debunked by the very existence and success of Cung Le.

If by other stuff you mean the ball grabs and eye gouges etc then yes. :)

BTW if you asked me the same questions about Karate (my background) I would say the same - the simple punches and kicks in Karate are what would work best for MMA. Of course there's guys like Machida who can even pull off a crane kick and KO a former champ - but I would never say that particular technique is what makes Karate worthwhile.

Heck, if someone asked me if Karate is the best base for MMA I would say NO! MMA is the best base for MMA! But Karate is beneficial for many other reasons and indeed CAN be utilized in MMA as well - not just through its techniques but through speed, timing, footwork, overall fitness, awareness, motivation, discipline etc.

I would argue the same for Kung Fu. Perhaps there are not many successful Kung Fu fighters who have transitioned to MMA but that doesn't mean that Kung Fu is useless. IMHO.
I come from a shotokan background, I know what you're saying and my questions aren't rethorical. I am actually curious about the advantages of having a kung fu background and which techniques are workable

Back