The real life effects of gerrymandering explained

Andy Capp

2GM/c2 Belt
@Titanium
Reaction score
I just happened to come across an article that very clearly explained why gerrymandering is so effective and offers a plausible solution to fix the issue in an objective way.

The Math Behind Gerrymandering and Wasted Votes

Just as important was its discussion of wasted votes,
"So what counts as a wasted vote? Consider California’s role in presidential elections. Since 1992, California has always backed the Democratic nominee for president. Therefore, California Republicans know they are almost certainly backing a losing candidate. In some sense their vote is wasted: If they were allowed to vote in a toss-up state like Florida, their vote might make more of a difference. From a Republican perspective, that would be a more efficient use of their vote.

As it turns out, Democratic voters in California can make a similar argument about their vote being wasted. Since the Democratic candidate will likely win California in a landslide, many of their votes, in a sense, are wasted, too: Whether the candidate wins California with 51 percent of the vote or 67 percent of the vote, the outcome is the same. Those extra winning votes are meaningless."

What they call the efficiency gap, the difference between the 2 sides' wasted votes expressed as a percentage of the total votes, seems to tackle this problem.

Of course, in a perfectly fair setup, there could still be a lopsidedness to the outcome for a whole host of reasons, but at least addressing the most obvious cases should be a top priority for people who go around attaching the words liberty and freedom to everything yet they seem to be the most serious offenders:

"Nationwide, Republicans were able to draw 55 percent of congressional districts in their favor following the last census while Democrats did the same with just 10 percent. Consequently, Romney prevailed in 224 of the districts in use for the 2016 elections, while Obama carried just 211, even though the president won the national popular vote by nearly 4 percent in 2012."
-- https://www.dailykos.com/stories/20...ly-gerrymandering-can-swing-election-outcomes
The above is also a great explanation of the practical effects on gerrymandering. I recommend giving it a thorough read.

I don't think the average American is aware of how bad it really is so it's not going away anytime soon, sadly.

California isn't the only state that's essentially controlled by a single county/voting zone.

WA, NY are among that list as well.

California isn't the only state that's essentially controlled by a single county/voting zone.

WA, NY are among that list as well.
I suppose you're entirely unfamiliar with the term 'example'?

I suppose you're entirely unfamiliar with the term 'example'?
No I get it. Was just adding that most everyone knows about California. Washington goes as King county sees fit in national elections and even for state stuff.

Really annoying.

It's a neat idea and makes a lot of sense. I'm sure it took a lot of thought to come up with something that the average person can digest in terms of calculations.

It's a neat idea and makes a lot of sense. I'm sure it took a lot of thought to come up with something that the average person can digest in terms of calculations.
Yes, if you read the article, although the principle is fairly simple, the math is by not, but a practical application of it ought to be effective enough to be worthwhile.

Yes, if you read the article, although the principle is fairly simple, the math is by not, but a practical application of it ought to be effective enough to be worthwhile.
I think the math is simple enough that they'll be able to explain it to judges and whatnot. They could use the example in the article and then follow up with a direct comparison to actual districts in a state. I dunno, I've got zero experience with how math is presented in a courtroom setting.

I think it's virginia that the D's won 51 percent of the vote yet only won 5 seats while the Rs won 13.

Nationwide the D's need in excess of 60 percent of the vote to claim the house.

The Pennsylvania decision that came down last week is incredibly hopeful.

https://www.google.co.nz/amp/www.mc...ndering-data-muschick-20180212-story,amp.html

So the urban areas should always get to run every thing in the state?

2012counties.png

2012counties.png

People get representation, not land. I think maps like this can be misleading since they imply an equal distribution of people for those (not you) that don't understand them.

Also, in Virginia the rural Republican areas have controlled the state legislature for the past 20 years or so. Not sure how that shows the "urban areas running things."

2012counties.png
Why doesn't Denali National Park have its own vote in the Electoral College? It's as big as Massachusetts.

2012counties.png

If you had any concept of US electoral policy, you'd know rural folks have way, way disproportionate influence over governance at the state and (especially) the federal level.

Your position is pretty clearly unconstitutional in contravening "one person, one vote."

No I get it. Was just adding that most everyone knows about California. Washington goes as King county sees fit in national elections and even for state stuff.

Really annoying.
That's cool but your other post didn't say anything like that. Anyway, the articles detail lots of other examples, so no argument there. That's pretty much the point.

That's cool but your other post didn't say anything like that. Anyway, the articles detail lots of other examples, so no argument there. That's pretty much the point.
I've been a bit, agitated, worrying about a job application/interview time so I'm a tad scatterbrained right now, apologies.

Last edited:
If you had any concept of US electoral policy, you'd know rural folks have way, way disproportionate influence over governance at the state and (especially) the federal level.

Your position is pretty clearly unconstitutional in contravening "one person, one vote."

Do you know how the electoral college works, and why it was designed the way it was?

barring County/local stuff, being a Republican in Cali is all but pointless

Back