The Random Lifting Thread

Strongman is the most properly named strength sport.
Olympic weightlifting should be called powerlifting.
Powerlifting should be called weightlifting.

Olympic lifting is called weightlifting.

"Olympic lifting" or "Olympic weightlifting," while commonly used, are both incorrect. When the proper term is used, no correction is necessary.

And women compete in Strongman. So should it not be called "strongperson" or whatever PC bullshit gets used now?

True stuff. I think unilateral lifting is a good thing for athletes, just not necessarily single leg squats. Lots of athletes operate on a lead leg type deal, like baseball players, runners, fighters, etc. However, if you are a runner single leg squats won't do you much good, as the posterior chain is the main muscle group used on running. Single squats wouldn't do great for grapplers, because even though the quads are used in many shooting takedowns, a majority of takedowns are performed on two feet.

Olympic lifting is called weightlifting.

"Olympic lifting" or "Olympic weightlifting," while commonly used, are both incorrect. When the proper term is used, no correction is necessary.

And women compete in Strongman. So should it not be called "strongperson" or whatever PC bullshit gets used now?

My mistake on the terminology. I maintain that 'power'-lifting is more accurately descriptive of the clean&jerk and snatch, while simply 'weightlifting' would be better suited to the squat, bench and dead.

Perhaps Strength Atheletics? Or maybe StrengthWOD...
Is there a female version of WSM? Is it World's Strongest Woman? Will google.

I know I genetically have large quads, and calf's (my dads side of the family is super indian Mexican, short and stocky), but I'm sure being obese for most of my teenage years also contributed. Fat guys that lose weight almost always have great legs.

Full squats or half squats?

Height/weight/squat numbers?

I squat twice a week, one "high bar" going atg and one "low bar" going parallel. Stupid I know. On high bar day assistance/supplemental exercises are "quad related", like front squats, leg press, leg extensions. On low bar day mostly posterior chain stuff, like good mornings, dimmel deads, leg curls....

I'm around 6'2, with the limbs of a 6'6 guy. Haven't maxed out in ages but my raw rep pr is 405 x 7 atg (an inch from ass touching ankles). Low bar parallel I hit 495 x 3, no belt or wraps.

Nothing to write home about.

I squat twice a week, one "high bar" going atg and one "low bar" going parallel. Stupid I know. On high bar day assistance/supplemental exercises are "quad related", like front squats, leg press, leg extensions. On low bar day mostly posterior chain stuff, like good mornings, dimmel deads, leg curls....

I'm around 6'2, with the limbs of a 6'6 guy. Haven't maxed out in ages but my raw rep pr is 405 x 7 atg (an inch from ass touching ankles). Low bar parallel I hit 495 x 3, no belt or wraps.

Nothing to write home about.

What is your bodyweight?

Do you have any vids of your squats?

What is your bodyweight?

Do you have any vids of your squats?

Around 105 kgs. Nope no videos, but if I wanted to boast I would have said better numbers. For reference, I bench 405 x 3 touch and go. So I bench almost what I squat, which is embarrassing.

But this is the internet so just assume I'm full of shit.

Off topic - I'm currently buying equipment to open a gym. In my country, all equipment related to weightlifting and strongman is labelled under the category "crossfit". So bumber plates, olympic barbells, prowlers, and even trap bars are considered crossfit equipment.

Around 105 kgs. Nope no videos, but if I wanted to boast I would have said better numbers. For reference, I bench 405 x 3 touch and go. So I bench almost what I squat, which is embarrassing.

Again, video plox.

105kg at 6'2, "with the limbs of a 6'6 guy", 495x3 low-bar, 405x7 "atg" high bar, 405x3 bench, no vids.

125998075120279.jpeg

Didn't want to make a new thread for this, but maybe get a few non horrible sarcastic answers here. How do you guys treat your first week back in the gym after some time off?

I've been running 5/3/1 and doing well, but haven't been in a gym at all the last 3 weeks because of projects, finals, and moving. I squated on tuesday did about 20 lbs less than I had been, and dropped the assistance from 5x5 to 3x5 for volumes. My legs are so fucking sore, and it's Thursday now. Not unbearable, but they're pulling the whole "not quite sure how to walk normally thing" even just around the office.

Do you guys ease back into lifting? Or just go hard knowing you're in for a shitty week and that it'll be back to normal before too long?

I try to jump right back into where I left off. It normally isn't long until I get back into my rythm.

Didn't want to make a new thread for this, but maybe get a few non horrible sarcastic answers here. How do you guys treat your first week back in the gym after some time off?

I have at least one session with every exercise where I will go a bit easier.

With main lifts, if I am normally doing 5x5 I might do something like 3x3 at 80-85% of what I was doing before. If I am doing assistance, I might do 3x10 instead of 5x10 with just a little less weight.

For conditioning it's pretty similar. I usually do LISS, and when I am in the swing of things I try to go for an hour if I can, sometimes more. If I've missed time, first session back will be 45-50 minutes, a little slower.

Important point is that this might take me several sessions depending on the split you are using. If I am doing a full body type split, I have to do a couple of sessions to cover all the exercises. If I am doing a "4 days, one day per main movement" split, then I have to do 4 sessions like that.

Maybe some people like to get back into it faster, but skipping those days doesn't seem to speed things up for me, it just guarantees I will be sore.

But this is the internet so just assume I'm full of shit.

Off topic - I'm currently buying equipment to open a gym. In my country, all equipment related to weightlifting and strongman is labelled under the category "crossfit". So bumber plates, olympic barbells, prowlers, and even trap bars are considered crossfit equipment.

Well, this makes me think your country must be newer than Crossfit.

So, accordingly, since Crossfit's only been with us since 2000, this makes me deduce that you're from either: East Timor, Montenegro, Serbia, Kosovo, or South Sudan -- which are the only countries newer than Crossfit.

Am I correct?

105kg at 6'2, "with the limbs of a 6'6 guy", 495x3 low-bar, 405x7 "atg" high bar, 405x3 bench, no vids.

125998075120279.jpeg

Yeah, I wouldn't believe me either.

I don't want to post video of myself on an internet forum just to prove a point. Mock me as you feel necessary :icon_cry2

Is that really impressive numbers for somebody lifting 10 - 15 years? I've been lifting off and on since early teens, I'm now 30. My father was a wrestler (Traditional Korean wrestling) and pushed me hard in the sport. Unfortunately I got my mom's genetics.

Well, this makes me think your country must be newer than Crossfit.

So, accordingly, since Crossfit's only been with us since 2000, this makes me deduce that you're from either: East Timor, Montenegro, Serbia, Kosovo, or South Sudan -- which are the only countries newer than Crossfit.

Am I correct?

Nope, Philippines. I live here part time because my wife is Fil-Am.

Most likely the companies that make gym equipment only recently started making those types of equipment since crossfit got popular.

I can say one good thing about CF and that is that's really helped my mobility. They know how to improve it, do improve it fast.

Nope, Philippines. I live here part time because my wife is Fil-Am.

Most likely the companies that make gym equipment only recently started making those types of equipment since crossfit got popular.

Ahh, I get it.

Wow, the reach of Crossfit. It's like AIDS.

Back