The Random Lifting Thread

Ianblastermaste

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Hello fellow Sherbro, have you been thinking to yourself lately "I really need a place to share my quirky lifting ideas and or epiphanies?" Well, if your answer is yes, then you've come to the right place. Everything's fair game as long as it's outside if the box and lifting related. Some things I have wondered about are:

If Smith Machine squats are frowned apon for not using stabilizer muscles, what our excuse for laying down and doing bench presses instead of weighted push-ups for more ab integration?

Does anyone incorporate field event throws as a part of your training?

What was the strangest lift you've ever done, and was it effective?

That's all, keep it random Sherdog!

If Smith Machine squats are frowned apon for not using stabilizer muscles, what our excuse for laying down and doing bench presses instead of weighted push-ups for more ab integration?

Because the difference between a smith machine squat and a barbell squat go beyond the use of stabilizer muscles. They're two completely different exercises, and each are great for their own thing, provided that you do them right and don't go doing smith machine squats with the same form you would barbell squats and vice versa...

spider_man_throwing_up_in_slow_motion-45.gif

hahahahaa . That gif is jokes rex. Oh how i missed this forum and the people. Been injured for the past 6 months, back into motion now. Lets see where this thread goes

Bulgarian split squats are just lunges

Not quite. Bulgarian split squats have the rear foot elevated, such as resting on a box or a bench. It eliminates a large amount of assistance from that leg.

Not quite. Bulgarian split squats have the rear foot elevated, such as resting on a box or a bench. It eliminates a large amount of assistance from that leg.

I thought that with split squats you don't actually move the feet at all. I.E. you get into the split position, and flex and extend the knees/hips in order to go up and down.

I thought that with split squats you don't actually move the feet at all. I.E. you get into the split position, and flex and extend the knees/hips in order to go up and down.

Yes, it's just that the Bulgarian variation has the rear foot elevated.

Split squats are sometimes called stationary lunges.

My uncle has always told me that lunges are more glute dominant than leg dominant like split squats are. Does that have any value to it?

Ok. Bulgarian split squats are just elevated lunges.

Very little transfer/relation to actual squatting imho

Most wouldn't disagree with you on the transfer between split squats and conventional squatting.

But that's not why you would do split-squats so...

Most wouldn't disagree with you on the transfer between split squats and conventional squatting.

But that's not why you would do split-squats so...

Additionally, "elevated lunges" doesn't specify whether it's the back or front foot that's elevated.

Also, I object to calling split squats "stationary lunges", since there's no actual lunging involved.

I just can't get the balance for Bulgarians.

For a while I used to do shrugs with the barbell cradled in my arms, zercher style.
I don't really remember what my motive was, but I think it was about getting better contact with my traps, or taking weight off my forearms, or recruiting more of my core muscles, or something.
Or maybe I just thought it somewhat resembled the Conan's Wheel, and figured doing it that way would magically turn me into a strongman.

Edit: Just noticed the above is actually a real thing:

Great minds think alike.
Not really though. In the end I came to the conclusion that zercher shrugs sucked. They hurt my inside elbows like a m*therf*cker.

Last edited:
Other random thoughts I had that you might disagree with:

1. Most people don't have the mobility to do the overhead press correctly.

2. Squats and squat variations alone wont give you big wheels. Your back tends to give out before your legs do. (Especially for us longer limb people)

So?

Not every leg exercise is as squat assistance. Unilateral work can have a number of benefits for athletes.

Back