The Race Issue at the Oscars Discussion Thread

I am at a point where I cannot listen to racial comedy. I used to be a big fan of comics like Chris Rock (Never Scared) and Russell Peters (Red, White and Brown), but I do not care for that style of comedy anymore.

Ditto. It's too easy now, nothing creative going on and it panders to the low IQ crowd. I think the last I enjoyed was Patrice O'Neal, somehow he made it fun. But he drank too much grape soda so now he's dead.

I have not seen the latest Rocky movie. I stopped watching after Rocky IV.

Creed is a solid flick. Anyone who enjoyed Rocky 1 will probably enjoy it.

His blacks vs :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:z routine was pretty critical of blacks, he stopped doing it because of idiots who used it to justify their racism.

This one also got me cracking

But he cant do them, not because of the PC crowd, but because idiots use it to rail against black people and he doesnt wants to be associated with that crowd.

Those are definitely classics. I can understand why he stopped doing those jokes. There was definitely a lot of racist people who started repeating those jokes and using them to justify their racist views. I just think it's time to move away from that style of comedy. We need to start building bridges instead of walls. There is far too much racial antagonism going on at the moment.

I strongly disagree. There was far more depth and nuance in Mark Rylance performance compared to the cliched character portrayed by Michael B. Jordan. Rylance was a mesmerizing one of a kind performance. Anyone could have played Creed.

So you haven't seen Creed, don't know who else was nominated for supporting actor, but think your opinion is valid? Noted.

His blacks vs :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:z routine was pretty critical of blacks, he stopped doing it because of idiots who used it to justify their racism.

This one also got me cracking

But he cant do them, not because of the PC crowd, but because idiots use it to rail against black people and he doesnt wants to be associated with that crowd.

Same reason Chappelle "went crazy" and ran off to Africa.

The nuances of observational comedy, especially with regards to race, is largely lost on the majority. Eventually, them laughing AT you wears on the aspiring black comic.

Then again, you also have guys like Mooney, who take that fact and roast your ass for it. Probably the only comic I know who really goes in on people who solely come for shucking and jiving.

Hush, you'll interrupt his outrage masturbation session.

df7hck.jpg

Those are definitely classics. I can understand why he stopped doing those jokes. There was definitely a lot of racist people who started repeating those jokes and using them to justify their racist views. I just think it's time to move away from that style of comedy. We need to start building bridges instead of walls. There is far too much racial antagonism going on at the moment.

Autocriticism is some of the best form of comedy, just because it takes racial connotations to some people and under certain circumstances, it certainly doesnt takes away its merits.

Notice how Chris rock Black people vs :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:z, talks about issues and culture, not about races, it doesnt says that black people are inherently criminal or inferior, but that some aspects of its culture are plain wrong, its autocriticism, it talks from the heart and his personal experiences.

Same reason Chappelle "went crazy" and ran off to Africa.

The nuances of observational comedy, especially with regards to race, is largely lost on the majority. Eventually, them laughing AT you wears on the aspiring black comic.

Then again, you also have guys like Mooney, who take that fact and roast your ass for it. Probably the only comic I know who really goes in on people who solely come for shucking and jiving.

Mooney is brutally racist towards whites.

Autocriticism is some of the best form of comedy, just because it takes racial connotations to some people and under certain circumstances, it certainly doesnt takes away its merits.

Notice how Chris rock Black people vs :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:z, talks about issues and culture, not about races, it doesnt says that black people are inherently criminal or inferior, but that some aspects of its culture are plain wrong, its autocriticism, it talks from the heart and his personal experiences.

Do you think that such a routine would be acceptable coming from a white comedian?

Mooney is brutally racist against whites.

You think The Boondocks is racist against whites. You're going to have to excuse me if I throw my head back in laughter and disregard your crying.

Annnnnnnnddddd.....go!

gT83EWF.gif

Do you think that such a routine would be acceptable coming from a white comedian?

Autocriticism is quite big on white comedy too, ever heard of Mark Twain? He railed against his society.

Autocriticism is quite big on white comedy too, ever heard of Mark Twain? He railed against his society.

I meant if it's cool for a white guy to have a skit comparing black people to :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:z.

I meant if it's cool for a white guy to have a skit comparing black people to :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:z.

How can a white man can be AUTOcritical if he is railing about black people?

To me the most telling thing was the Amy Winehouse documentary winning over multiple documentaries telling of the plight of the third world. Hollywood might be a bit self absorbed.

Actors/actresses are the most self important, narcissistic, entitled group of people on the planet. The whole idea of a televised awards show for them is ridiculous. The idealization of Hollywood is a perfect example of what's leading America down to toilet.

Yeah it's pretty much Hollywood masturbation and fart smelling.

I never said that. How can Chris Rock be autocritical when he makes white people jokes?

I never said he was autocritical when he was telling white jokes, at that point it becomes racist jokes.

I never said he was autocritical when he was telling white jokes, at that point it becomes racist jokes.

Christ Rock is notorious for telling racist jokes. They're funny. Not Dave Chappelle funny, but funny. He has carte blanche to make all sorts of racist jokes across the board without public backlash.

My question was, does a white comedian have the privilege of making 'black people versus :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:z' jokes without backlash?

Christ Rock is notorious for telling racist jokes. They're funny. Not Dave Chappelle funny, but funny. He has carte blanche to make all sorts of racist jokes across the board without public backlash.

My question was, does a white comedian have the privilege of making 'black people versus :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:z' jokes without backlash?

Depends on context and subtetly.

Seinfeld was pretty good at parodying tons of different ethnic groups in New York.

and Seth McFarland shows do too.

Depends on context and subtetly.

Seinfeld was pretty good at parodying tons of different ethnic groups in New York.

and Seth McFarland shows do too.

That's kind of the point. No one is ever going to ask in what context Chris Rock spoke about. He has absolute carte blanche, and that bothers people.

Back