The Race Issue at the Oscars Discussion Thread

jeff7b9

Steel Belt
@Steel
Reaction score
What were some impressive black performances in movies in the past year?

I have heard a lot about the controversy surrounding this year oscars...

However I haven't really followed the film industry.

I have young children, I have a job, I have no free time and not a ton of expendable cash (I bought a house this year which stretched my budget pretty thin and started a new career which has me working a lot of hours)
I haven't been to the movies.

What was good this year?

What black/minority actor/actress/writer/director/film got snubbed?

Ps- was "beasts of no nation" a 2015 film? (forgive me if I messed up the title)

Let's not forget ice cube playing a unique character in ride along 2

Some gay singer just won an award. Gave a shout out to the LGBTQNTSDSUVSD community.

Straight outta Compton. Good acting all around.

ha, i like how people have to resort to just naming whatever black actor they can think of

There is no question it was a down year for black films and actors, and has been the trend for some time and will continue to be so...

Is hollywood racist and trying to shut them out? Or are they simply about the bottom line and the profit margin. Like every other industry, its usually the latter.

So the 'dirty little secret' of hollywood, as elsewhere, is that the Chinese market is ever increasingly the consumer of goods, and movies are no exception. So not only have movies been geared to the chinese market for profitability reasons, but now major Chinese studios are even buying out majority shares in the western major studios.

Everyone knows how xenophobic the chinese market can be, and less and less prominent roles will go to minorities and blacks in particular. Get used to it

Chris Rock made a joke/point that since women have their own category why not blacks.

Seems to make sense but is it offensive to others?

Lol blacks fight(cry) for the longest of time to be included but now they want out? Reminds me of those new black only college dorm rooms. Makes loads of sense.

Back