The Quintessential Discipulus Training Thread (Critique Please!)

Hehe :wink:

Yeah, I've got a few exercises now to help me get the proper endurance in my hips and legs to allow me to sit down more in my stance and on my punches for longer. I could feel my right calf and quad tightening up as I went on, and I think that's the reason for some of my awkward tightness in the bag video.

Looking good Discipulus, but here's an honest critique of your boxing so far:

Your jab to straight right look pretty solid, but try to finish with a left jab after that right. You also continually drop your right hand after throwing a solid right straight then bring it back to it's starting position, and I also saw it a few times with your left jab (I know your left hand sits quite a bit lower than your right, but it's still getting pretty low when you bring it back). Try just bringing it straight back to it's spot --it'll keep you from getting caught with a nasty left hook. (Around the 12:30 area you start to look a little better though, but I would still work on it)

-Just overall, try to string some punches together and try to be conscious of where your hands are after you throw a punch. Overall, Discipulus, your punching looks pretty great, you really throw your hips into it and seem to utilize your reach very well! Just throw more than 1-2.

(I hope you also give me a thorough critique when I post my kicking :icon_lol: )

EDIT, this is for your first bagwork video on the opening post.

Holy hell... This double-end bag is fun as a mofo. New video coming soon!

And Sinister, if you happen to look at this, I have a small question: I recall you advocating a sort of progression for how to work on the double end bag, but I can't seem to find where you said it. You recommended starting with the 1-1-2 followed by the slips, and using the jab to stabilize the bag when you lose control of it. Was your advice just to eventually work into that stabilizing jab being the first punch of the next 1-1-2 combo? When is it a good time to move into more complicated work? Thanks, man.

Last edited:
Discipulus, in the mean time while waiting for Sinister's response, just play around with the double end bag a bit. Freestyle it lol. I play with it when i first got it in the same veins as how Arni works the double bag. Obviously not as good but the thing is to get familiarize with how the bag move.

And maybe also try something like a constant rhythm drill like what Tsuya is showing too. Both are very fun to try on the DE bag.

I like that, what Kostya's doing. Thanks, man. Yeah, I currently have the thing hooked to the handle of a paint can that's not quite heavy enough to stay completely stationary. :icon_lol: So it flings around a little wildly and makes a lot of noise. But this is a seriously fun training tool. Useful, too. You know when you connect cleanly with good mechanics because of the way the bag reacts. And you know when something isn't right, because I walked away after getting my rhythm going, came back to play with the bag again after a few hours, and was mystified to find out that I couldn't seem to get it going again. It takes some finesse, for sure. I'm hoping it will be a nice supplement to help my sparring.

I like that, what Kostya's doing. Thanks, man. Yeah, I currently have the thing hooked to the handle of a paint can that's not quite heavy enough to stay completely stationary. :icon_lol: So it flings around a little wildly and makes a lot of noise. But this is a seriously fun training tool. Useful, too. You know when you connect cleanly with good mechanics because of the way the bag reacts. And you know when something isn't right, because I walked away after getting my rhythm going, came back to play with the bag again after a few hours, and was mystified to find out that I couldn't seem to get it going again. It takes some finesse, for sure. I'm hoping it will be a nice supplement to help my sparring.

You remember what i hook to my DE Bag? Those things are the worst. It twisted around every 2 minutes or so lol. And landing with the correct knuckles and mechanics is important too. And yeah, it is crucial to land the bag correctly. Everytime i didn't land my punches correctly it would just flail to some other place. As for the rhythm, i suggest you can loosen the bag a bit to get used to the bag's general rhythm, then tighten it up again when you feel you can gasp it consistently. It worked for me.

Working with the double-end bag, trying Sinister's 1-1-2 drill. Unfortunately I still seem to be standing up much taller than I'd like and bringing my head forward on the cross, but I'll be working more on that in the coming weeks. Let me know what you think.

Working with the double-end bag, trying Sinister's 1-1-2 drill. Unfortunately I still seem to be standing up much taller than I'd like and bringing my head forward on the cross, but I'll be working more on that in the coming weeks. Let me know what you think.

Bring that cross back to your chin, your dropping it on the retraction and follow through. Throw it from your shoulder/jaw line, straight through target and straight back. You cross shouldn't be dropping through impact when your throwing it at shoulder level. Your technique looks much improved, but on that de bag you really wan't to work on quick retraction of your shots and keeping them compact. Roll hip forward for that cross and quickly pull it back to retract glove back to jawline. Focus more on the retraction of the punch, get that hip movment more compact almost as though your beginning the retraction of the hip right before the glove lands (in anticipation of landing)...... this is what will keep your head from falling forward as well! Looks good brotha, keep it up!

Drop it through impact: this happens

floyd_mayweather_beats_hatton_240x2.jpg

or...... yes, that wasn't pleasant.

74477_1704377370223_5634635_n.jpg

Retract it low: this happens

tap2.jpg

Last edited:
Looking at both the bagwork video and the double end bag there's a couple of things I noticed:

The most obvious and glaring mistake is how you throw your cross. You fully follow through on your cross, like a full swing style motion. Kind of like how somebody would commit to throwing a baseball.

Instead you should focus on a sharp impact and instant retraction, there shouldn't be any more commitment to the punch than you have to. When you do it right you get this very explosive sharp impact.

You have a tendency to throw your punches on at a time instead of actually flowing them together, and you do this on the bagwork vid as well. What you need to focus on is getting your next punch ready as soon as your current punch lands. That's the proper way to throw a combo, or else its just single punches landing one after the other.

On the bagwork vid you had a tendency to load up your lead hook sometimes. Instead of just throwing it you were leaning back the other way. It's better to telegraph the punch the least possible.

As a summary in sparring you're going to have a hard time landing slower punches, they need to flow and you need to focus on getting that combo finished as soon as possible so you can get back to the safety of your stance and positioning.

Also its hard to tell watching the vid but if you want to throw a hard cross you should feel pressure on that lead foot if you're doing it right. That's because its the weight transfer kicking in, if that transfer's not done right you're losing a lot of power in your punches. vice versa for your lead hook you should be feeling pressure on your back foot when it lands.

Last edited:

Here we go, folks. A long-awaited update to my Sherdog training thread. Here I am shadowboxing. I definitely see some improvement over the first video I posted in this thread, though not as much as I'd like. But I'll take it, and I'm just going to keep working!

Here we go, folks. A long-awaited update to my Sherdog training thread. Here I am shadowboxing. I definitely see some improvement over the first video I posted in this thread, though not as much as I'd like. But I'll take it, and I'm just going to keep working!

inb4 "hands up lol"

But seriously, looking very clean and technical man. I'm a big fan of your footwork. Pivoting or taking angles before you attack, during your attack and after the attack at different times is great stuff to see. The weight transfer is looking good and I wouldn't wanna eat any of those punches. I saw some of my own personal favorite combinations in there (jab, lead uppercut, right cross is a killer) and I like how you incorporated uppercuts in general. Another nice detail is the way you set up your pivots with your punches. The check left hook as you pivot left is nice, as is the soft right hand to left pivot. I throw the same left hook where you step your right foot out to the right, and I really like to follow it up with a cross into a quick right leg kick. I find that it often allows me to get a really good angle for the kick and hit towards the back of the leg.

One critique I have is that when you throw a right hand, it looks like your weight lingers on the front foot just a split second longer than it needs to. That works out very well when you're following it up with a left punch or a pivot, but when you just throw the right and pull back I think you could get your weight back a little faster. I'd also like to see a little more variation in your jab. Double it up, go to the body more, feint with it low then throw it high, paw with it, stuff like that.

It's good to see technical and fluid shadowboxing rather than frantic sloppy shadowboxing or my least favorite: half extended arm punch shadowboxing. Your skills have come a long way, keep up the good work.

Your right hand...
even if your arm snaps out and back quicker than your body can open and close on the right hand (which, by the way, your hip twist is great on)... don't leave your right hand hanging out like that. You've got your right punch and your right hip twist on the same schedule... and for this reason your right hand is just hanging out in front of you while you wait for your right hip to twist back into position.
rightdrop.png

Here's what I'm saying. Note the drop, but meanwhile your hips haven't moved.
Also you let your weight get like 85% onto your front foot, as you see your front foot supinate in the "finish" image in order to compensate for balance. Don't rock front to back, just trust in the twist.

Also, I pictured you with a cowboy hat because of your avatar. Can I make a request for a cowboy hat in the next video?

Back