The Queens Gambit (Netflix)

I am known around here as stoneface, hee hee. My wife is enjoying the show. Maybe if I really grit my teeth I can finish the last 4 episodes. Maybe Beth will stub her toe at some point and I'll join her in her journey.
Most of what you're taking issue with is presented meaningfully in the last few episodes. And not just as a montage, but through at least 2 episodes of meaningful character development for her, Harry Beltic, and Benny Watts.

Edit: Also, if they're going to show her studying up, it makes a lot more sense to do it later on for when she's getting ready to play the best of the best than for when she's working her way up. There's little reason to repeat story beats just because it would make things more realistic.

Most of what you're taking issue with is presented meaningfully in the last few episodes. And not just as a montage, but through at least 2 episodes of meaningful character development for her, Harry Beltic, and Benny Watts.

Edit: Also, if they're going to show her studying up, it makes a lot more sense to do it later on for when she's getting ready to play the best of the best than for when she's working her way up. There's little reason to repeat story beats just because it would make things more realistic.

Maybe I'll survive it, I hope so

Wow so foking good
Every episode was just perfect
Its probably gonna end up being the best new tv show of 2020
10 out of 10 for me and very high on mine all time list

was the best show i've see all year
anya is amazing

My wife challenged me to a game before the end of the first episode. I won, but she had me nervous for a second until I realized I could check her and mate in two.

They went a little too Hollywood in the finale but overall it was great.

Really impressive how she carried the whole show pretty much solo, looking forward to seeing more of her.

9/10

You simply do not understand how amazing true Chess prodigies are.

Paul Morphy, Jose Raul Capablanca, Bobby Fischer are some Chess GOATS who learned on their own at a very young age.

Morphy learned watching others play and his family realized his potential when he showed his father and uncle that one of them should have won instead of the game being drawn. Then he resetted the pieces and showed them how his uncles missed the win. By the age of 9 he was unbeatable in his own city. By 12 he was spanking chess masters.

Capablanca learned chess on his own by also watching his father play. He was good enough to beat his father at the age of 4. By the age of 12 he was able to beat the Cuban Chess Champion (Juan Corzo).

Bobby Fischer learned chess on his own when he was 6 years old - his only aid was a book of old chess games. Two years later he played an exhibition match with a former Scottish champion and was able to impress the Brooklyn Chess Club President and he personally tutored Bobby Fischer afterwards.

And the main character did not get good without help. She was tutored by a janitor who was strong at chess and was given chess books to learn from. She was tested by a high school chess teacher who made he play against high school kids in simultaneous games. She had plenty of chess knowledge by the time she started competing seriously and her natural talents took over. Spanking regional or state champions wouldn't be a stress of the imagination for a true chess prodigy with training.

And she lost to Watts at the end of the 3rd episode no? So she did not mow down everyone.
Those players had access to great competition though. Sure being a prodigy comes with immense natural talent, but it only gets you so far. She wins the state tournament after years of rust, it's a game that requires constant practice to play at that level.

So far I really enjoy it, but she definitely comes off as a Mary Sue to me. It is worse by the fact that she's a woman, Judit Polgar only went so far and she's in a league of her own and literally raised as an experiment to pursue chess to the fullest as opposed to Beth who wasn't allowed to even play it. Not to mention this is the 1960's and the Soviets are churning out grand masters faster than you can say Rashid Nezhmetdinov. It's a stretch even with PED's, which she probably wouldn't have been alone there. But still a good show, I can't wait to keep going.

She was hotter before she went for anorexic.

2.5 down, wife and I like it.

Want to play chess, haven't played since i beat my best mate with a Scholars Mate. Only just found out it had a name, I actually worked it out myself.

New Netflix series with Anya Taylor Joy as an orphan chess prodigy. I'm two episodes in and I like it a lot. It seems like it's going to be a good series. Judging by the first two episodes, it's already one of their best shows.

Anyone else check it out?

MV5BM2EwMmRhMmUtMzBmMS00ZDQ3LTg4OGEtNjlkODk3ZTMxMmJlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjM5ODk1NDU@._V1_UY1200_CR90,0,630,1200_AL_.jpg

Just watched episode one. Will watch more. Thank goodness for binge watching good shows.

her nipple is visible in episode 6 ...just a heads up with 11:16 mins left in the episode. it is also very evident she was a ballerina in that scene she is dancing in her underwear.

New Netflix series with Anya Taylor Joy as an orphan chess prodigy. I'm two episodes in and I like it a lot. It seems like it's going to be a good series. Judging by the first two episodes, it's already one of their best shows.

Anyone else check it out?

MV5BM2EwMmRhMmUtMzBmMS00ZDQ3LTg4OGEtNjlkODk3ZTMxMmJlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjM5ODk1NDU@._V1_UY1200_CR90,0,630,1200_AL_.jpg

It's really good. I finished the show in two weekday evenings. It's also basically every woman's dream story.

Emotionally tough, rough independent upbringing that takes away any softness, the men she beats in chess adore her and She is treated with much respect in the "men's arena", she has a crew of guys that support her and back her in her efforts, she sleeps with most of them at some time before moving on, then in the future her same crew is always down and devoted still, she bests the men in their great arena of intellect, and at the end, her super handsome crush comes back into her life.

The lead actress has this strange attractiveness. Noticed it in her previous film Witch as well.

Back