The Purge: Election Year

If you have seen THE PURGE: ELECTION YEAR, how would you rate it?

• Total voters
Yep, the second one is definitely worth watching.

I'm hearing mixed reviews about the third one though it's at 56% on rottentomatoes.

93ToKjT.jpg

A movie like this I would go with he audience score over the critics

Saw it last night, here is my review

Ahh…The Purge.

A yearly government sanctioned murder fest that somehow solved the problems of unemployment, crime, and the economy all at once…so yeah the premise of this series is pants on retarded. Three years ago the first Purge movie debuted to pretty poor reviews. Mostly due to the poorly explained premise being played straight in a bottle film and the only glowing recommendation was Adelaide Kane in a skirt. A year later, the direction of the franchise changed with The Purge: Anarchy. They took their crazy idea out in the open world and showed you what really happens during the 12 hours of murder and dancing in the streets. Add in the ass kicking charisma of Frank Grillo playing The Punisher without the Marvel copyrights and you had one of the biggest surprise hits of the year. Two years later you have the follow up and third movie in this trilogy The Purge: Election Year

https://societyreviews.wordpress.com/2016/07/01/the-purge-election-year-review/

This is one the weakest of the three

Anarchy is still the best by far

I hear the second one was good but I disliked the first one enough that it's still pretty low on my "to watch" list. It would have to really surprise me in order to inspire me to watch Part 3.

Not recommending it perse but they are quite different

Critics' Reviews for THE PURGE: ELECTION YEAR

Rotten Tomatoes: 54% approval rating (42 out of 78 critics like it)

Critics Consensus: It isn't particularly subtle, but The Purge: Election Year's blend of potent jolts and timely themes still add up to a nastily effective diversion.

Purge-Election-Year-070116-Dragonlord.jpg

Entertainment Weekly - Writer-director James DeMonaco's third chapter in the thrill-kill vigilante franchise is the best and pulpiest Purge yet. B

New York Daily News - DeMonaco has a few new clever ideas, but the movie never gets into the type of political discourse one might expect when bringing politics and election into the world of "The Purge." 2/5

James Berardinelli - The Purge: Election Year represents writer/director James DeMonaco's attempt to squeeze one more movie out of a premise that has run dry. 2/4

Newark Star-Ledger - Effective as it all is - even with an over-reliance on jump scares - "The Purge: Election Year" is, like the rest of the films in a series, an ugly one, reliant on scenes of sadism and depravity. 2.5/4

Rolling Stone - Election Year's only real stance - besides be sure to vote in November - is that America is violence. God bless the U.S.A. God save us all. 3/4

That's all I needed to hear. I'll wait for it to come out on Netflix or one of the movie channels and then I might see it if nothing else is on that interests me.

James Berardinelli - The Purge: Election Year represents writer/director James DeMonaco's attempt to squeeze one more movie out of a premise that has run dry. 2/4
aww, really? id think they could make a few of these films with the idea of the purge. just idk, do them differently so that they dont stink xD lol. really, is such a fun idea for a movie, idk how theyve mucked it up as they have /:

lol, so youre saying is worse than first one???
how could that be!???
:eek:

(i wanted to be cool too n use colored font lol)

Is the second one actually an improvement?

I was disappointed by the first and swore them off. It was a very intriguing idea that was executed in a very predictable and dumb fashion.

First one is mediocre...
Second one sucks balls, big time...
Third, well, after watching the trailer... I will watch while smoking some ganja... looks more promising, at least, more promising than the second

Wasn't a huge fan of the first but watched the second one last night and enjoyed it.
Will watch number 3 and report back

Is the second one actually an improvement?

I was disappointed by the first and swore them off. It was a very intriguing idea that was executed in a very predictable and dumb fashion.

Much better, imo.

Does anyone else get annoyed by the young daughter in purge 2? I'd clip her off real quick, fuckin know it all lol.

lol, so youre saying is worse than first one???
how could that be!???
:eek:

(i wanted to be cool too n use colored font lol)

Because at least the first one did a good job building tension as the family was being hunted in this our house, there is virtually no real tension in this movie.

I must be missing something... were the other movies hits? Seeing as how our mod made a poll for THIS movie.

I must be missing something... were the other movies hits? Seeing as how our mod made a poll for THIS movie.

The general feeling is the first one was bad but the second one was really good giving optimism for the third movie.

Mykelti Williamson was good in the movie.

I will def watch this on Netflix or cable when it hits.

While the execution of the first two movies wasn't great, I still find the series' premise very interesting.

Because at least the first one did a good job building tension as the family was being hunted in this our house, there is virtually no real tension in this movie.
/: thats too bad.
i liked the tension they had in the second one, tho i guess you could figure there would be a "happy ending". but idk, was still nice to stress at certain moments lol.
the first one just irked me though. we have this cool ass idea of total chaos in america, but get restricted to seeing one house/neighborhood, and the characters were all unlikable and made stupid decisions. maybe that idea would have worked better for a third film? but for it to be the very first was a major let down.

The third film was not as good as the second. They had a good premise with washington DC getting attacked but went ADD from that plot for the rest of the film.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
notnormal
Back