The Proper Snap: Proper way to set up the powerline?

Discussion in 'Standup Technique' started by ElDiabloLoco503, Jul 31, 2016.

1. ElDiabloLoco503

ElDiabloLoco503 White Belt

In my boxing gym, we are taught the shoulder snap when we box, but I've seen something more advanced...

I've been seeing many fighters like those of Freddie Roach and old heavyweights like Dempsey, Frazier, and Tyson doing a different technique.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I've studied them and it appears that they use their rotators so the power and the angle change for each punch like a catapult. That's why people talk about punching through the target in order to get the hip rotation needed for the strike. I can preform each punch in both gifs, but it appears that I am picking up their bad habits of throwing wide punches without my other hand to protect my head. Furthermore, Tyson lacked a straight right and threw a looping overhand like punch and I became slower from Sugar Ray Leonard speed to David Tua power due to this technique.

Please give a step by step instruction or a video on how to throw each punch with a powerline so I can prevent more injuries, get faster, and shorten my punches.

2. fluffball

fluffball Brown Belt

I reread your post like 4 times and don't understand what you're asking, especially the bit about a catapult changing angle. The youtube video seems to just be a video on how to throw a hook. Of course you use your body to throw a hook?

3. ElDiabloLoco503

My question is how to properly add a snap to each of my punches like the professional boxers I mentioned rather than just popping my shoulder like the video.

4. panamaican

panamaican Senior Moderator Staff Member Senior Moderator

I'm also not super sure about your question but I'll try.

If you're trying to add more snap instead of just shoulder pop then you need to start your punches with your feet and let the movement flow up through your hips and out. You need to understand a proper kinetic chain. I don't know if you know this already or not.

If already know it then it's a question of being able to apply it.

Do you know how to create snap in your hips? Meaning without throwing your punches can you snap your hips from your stance?

5. SaiWa

SaiWa Black Belt

why don't you post a video of yourself throwing some punches so people in there can see what you are doing (right or wrong)?

That would probably be the easiest/fastest way to analyze and figure out your problem...

a guy likes this.
  6. ElDiabloLoco503

I'll upload a video later this day for you guys. I'm trying to find a way how to launch my arms like how the Pros do rather than just popping my shoulder. If you guys can help me to transition to this technique, that would be helpful. They relax their arm and just snap it like a catapult rather than letting a popped shoulder carry their weight. I fucked up my scapula trying to imitate them, so I won't throw full speed.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]