The Program-Hopping Confessional Thread

Corrosion

Creonte
@purple
Reaction score
Hello. I am Corrosion and I am a program-hopper.

This horrible malady has cursed me throughout my entire training history. I cannot seem to stick to one method of training, I think way too much about things that should be simple, and make absolutely no progress because I can't stick to a plan and I change things every month. I gain weight one day, lose it the next. I want to be a fighter one day, and the next, the World's Strongest Man. One day it's 5/3/1, the next it's Hepburn. I'm spinning my wheels in circles, and it needs to stop. If I don't correct this, I will forevermore remain a weak pussy.

I'm going to change my program one...last...time... (back to 5/3/1) and I'm going to stick to it for at least ONE YEAR. If I don't, I want to be humiliated by Sherdog in the worst possible fashion. Please hold me accountable. Please. I need help.

For anyone afflicted with this plauge, this is not the thread to seek support and compassion, but rather, a wake up call to get our shit together. Join in, and be held accountable for our fail.

In all seriousness, I'd like to know what a 5/3/1 regimen is, if you might be able to ellaborate briefly.

I may actually try this after my next fight as my balls-out style of programming (or lack thereof) hasn`t really brought me any results.

Tosa, do you have any idea how I`d adjust this for 2 days a week? Would I do squats, and deads one week and start with bench the next? Or would I have to scrap one lift? Maybe just concenbtrating in squats and bench?

I'm going to change my program one...last...time... (back to 5/3/1) and I'm going to stick to it for at least ONE YEAR.

I think that's a good decision. If you get bored you can just change up the assistance exercises, do or not do the BBB, switch up the BBB rep schems, etc. and still be on the program.

lol I have done 3 programs since getting serious:

Starting Strength
Madcow 5x5
Wendler's 5/3/1

Love 5/3/1, I really missed the higher rep stuff when doing SS and Madcow. Like that I can do some higher reps with the assistance.

I may actually try this after my next fight as my balls-out style of programming (or lack thereof) hasn`t really brought me any results.

Tosa, do you have any idea how I`d adjust this for 2 days a week? Would I do squats, and deads one week and start with bench the next? Or would I have to scrap one lift? Maybe just concenbtrating in squats and bench?

There's different ways you could do that. I think Wendler talks about it in the e-book, as well as having a lower training frequency himself.

Like you said you could alternate whether you squat or deadlift each week. Or possibly after doing the sets prescribed by the 5/3/1 for one, you do some lighter volume work for the other. Or if you cut back on assistance, you can do both. I.e. one day squats and bench, the other day deadlift and OHP, with limited assistance. Or you could drop deadlifts, although if you did that I think it be good to still include some kind of pull of the ground, like a power clean, power snatch, clean pull etc.

What you end up doing would depend on how often do you need to train a lift to make progress (I.e. if you'd have a hard time making progress by squatting every other week, then alternating weeks probably doesn't make sense), what assistance exercises you want to include, how much volume you need etc.

All that said, maybe something like the 2 day split from the FAQ, except using the 5/3/1 for the numbers for the big 4, with the possibility of swapping deadlifts for some other kind of pull that's easier to recover from.

Goddammit C.! Your teammates were counting on you! Now you wasted 6 months at least without any PRs and now what??? You should be punished by doing THIS for at least another 6 months you program hopping fool!!1! But since we WANT you to gain at least 200lbs to your total till the end of the year you will be doing THAT in addition to your lifting until December!

There... I did it. Come on or you're DOOMED.

All that said, maybe something like the 2 day split from the FAQ, except using the 5/3/1 for the numbers for the big 4, with the possibility of swapping deadlifts for some other kind of pull that's easier to recover from.

Yes, those are the lifts I was going to use. Doing 5/3/1 on the big 3 and keeping the others as assistance. Thing is with with only 2 days to lift I would only hit the same lift every 1.5 weeks instead of every week. That`s unless I only did squats and bench and kept deads as assistance too.

Yes, those are the lifts I was going to use. Doing 5/3/1 on the big 3 and keeping the others as assistance. Thing is with with only 2 days to lift I would only hit the same lift every 1.5 weeks instead of every week. That`s unless I only did squats and bench and kept deads as assistance too.

If you're lifting twice a week, do squats, bench plus limited assistance one day, and deadlifts, and assistance the other. Or am I misunderstanding something?

If you're lifting twice a week, do squats, bench plus limited assistance one day, and deadlifts, and assistance the other. Or am I misunderstanding something?

No, I guess I misunderstood you first. But do you think it`d be ok doing both squats and bench 5/3/1 on the same day?

I'm going to change my program one...last...time... (back to 5/3/1) and I'm going to stick to it for at least ONE YEAR. If I don't, I want to be humiliated by Sherdog in the worst possible fashion. Please hold me accountable. Please. I need help.

Ok.

*starts preparing list of most massive insults imaginable*

Btw, do you mind if I visit your log every now and then to tell you how 5/3/1 sucks balls and how some other program would better fit your goals?

I'm having some massive conscience issues about switching to 5/3/1 and doing four cycles of it, and now wanting to go back to a SS-type routine. Because i know the point of 5/3/1 is NOT to do four cycles of it and then switch. But i see guys with bigger lifts than mine get told to go back to SS all the freaking time because they're weak - and i don't want to be weak.

My short-term goal is to get stronger at deadlifts than a guy at campus who ridiculed me. He's been "training" without a serious program for 10+ years and been stuck at his 180 kg (395 lbs) deadlift for about half that time. I know that with the power of the S & C and correct programming i can overtake him pretty quickly. I'm going back to an SS type program, and i'm going to eat so much food there won't be any more starving kids in Africa because they've starved to death and then i ate their corpses. And i'm sticking with it.

You and me, TS! You and me! We can do it!

Tosa, do you have any idea how I`d adjust this for 2 days a week
? Would I do squats, and deads one week and start with bench the next? Or would I have to scrap one lift? Maybe just concenbtrating in squats and bench?

Wendler offers a couple of 2 day templates in his ebook. If you want I can post both versions here.

I'm having some massive conscience issues about switching to 5/3/1 and doing four cycles of it, and now wanting to go back to a SS-type routine. Because i know the point of 5/3/1 is NOT to do four cycles of it and then switch. But i see guys with bigger lifts than mine get told to go back to SS all the freaking time because they're weak - and i don't want to be weak.

My short-term goal is to get stronger at deadlifts than a guy at campus who ridiculed me. He's been "training" without a serious program for 10+ years and been stuck at his 180 kg (395 lbs) deadlift for about half that time. I know that with the power of the S & C and correct programming i can overtake him pretty quickly. I'm going back to an SS type program, and i'm going to eat so much food there won't be any more starving kids in Africa because they've starved to death and then i ate their corpses. And i'm sticking with it.

You and me, TS! You and me! We can do it!

That was out-fucking-standing!:icon_lol: Good luck, dude. You deserve success just for that quote - Rippetoe should put it on a T-shirt!:icon_twis

I also confess to being a program-hopper, at least to some extent. Like Corrosion, I just started the 5/3/1 today and am going to stick with it until next summer at the very least, most likely longer.

How about we make a deal? Let's start checking each other's logs every now and then to make sure everything is in order. That should keep the motivation high.

Hello. I am Corrosion and I am a program-hopper.

This horrible malady has cursed me throughout my entire training history. I cannot seem to stick to one method of training, I think way too much about things that should be simple, and make absolutely no progress because I can't stick to a plan and I change things every month. I gain weight one day, lose it the next. I want to be a fighter one day, and the next, the World's Strongest Man. One day it's 5/3/1, the next it's Hepburn. I'm spinning my wheels in circles, and it needs to stop. If I don't correct this, I will forevermore remain a weak pussy.

For anyone afflicted with this plauge, this is not the thread to seek support and compassion, but rather, a wake up call to get our shit together. Join in, and be held accountable for our fail.

Oh, thank God - I thought I was the only one! :eek:

Give me a hug, brother. I feel your pain!:icon_cry2 I have changed programs in the middle of a fucking week! That's how bad am. It's taking me all my willpower to stick to SS/PP. I keep coming up with excuses to change to Wendler's 5/3/1...or Hepburns...or a version of SS that has me Bench twice a week every week but cuts the Squats to 2 a week...and includes Close Grip Bench and Skullcrushers and Incline Dumbbell Bench...or maybe I'll use the 5/4/3/2/1 system from Dinasour Training...

AAAAGGGGGHHHHH!!!!! I need help!!!:icon_evil

Back