THE PROFESSOR AND THE MADMAN Starring Mel Gibson, Sean Penn (First Trailer)

Dragonlordxxxxx

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
Reaction score
Mel Gibson and Sean Penn to Star in THE PROFESSOR AND THE MADMAN

nZFfVGq.jpg

After nearly two decades, Mel Gibson is ready to bring the best-seller The Professor and the Madman to the big screen and has enlisted Sean Penn in the effort.

Gibson, who acquired the film rights to the Simon Winchester book back in 1998, is poised to star opposite Penn, who is in negotiations, in the true story of the creation of the Oxford English Dictionary — a tale that delves into madness, genius and two obsessive men who changed the course of literary history.

Though Gibson had long developed Professor and the Madman as a directing vehicle, he has handed the reins to his Apocalypto writer Farhad Safinia, who is set to direct the film. The filmmakers are eyeing an September start date in Europe.

Gibson will play Professor James Murray, who in 1857 set about compiling the OED, one of the most ambitious projects ever undertaken. Penn will play Dr. W. C. Minor, who submitted more than 10,000 entries but was also an inmate at an asylum for the criminally insane. Safinia wrote the screenplay, while Todd Komarnicki and John Boorman penned an earlier draft.

Mel Gibson and Sean Penn to Star in 'The Professor and the Madman' (Exclusive)

Isn't Penn a Jew?
This won't go well if Mel has a drink.

now this has the right amount of crazy casting to pull off that story

if anyone is looney enough to make the dictionary into an interesting story - its Mel.

Huh? Those two? lol Well, I give points to Penn for taking this; I'm sure he'll be getting some shit from his Hollywood pals.

Both are great actors (Mel is underrated), and both are crazy. Excited for this one. There probably won't be any violence in this movie (you never know...). It might be the kind of movie that gives some life to each career.

I have read this book and it's an interesting story.

I wish Mel was directing--and I assumed he was when I saw the headline--but this is good for him nonetheless. With Hacksaw Ridge first, and now this, it looks like Mel is coming back to life.

Plans make this a movie set in antiquity. Mel as a Roman Legionaire and Penn as a Hebrew Roman soldier who comes at a cross road..

Who wants to eat?

Who the FUCK wants to eat?

Go have something to eat!!

HOORAY!!!!!

Fuck!!

FUUUUUUUCCCKKKKK!!!!!

FUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCKKKKKKK!!!!

FUCK and HATE!!!

FUCK

CUNT

COCK

Grbfgdsdlfknlk

Last edited:
Bad Boys (1983) is Penn's only good movie, besides FTARH.

Man, I wish Mel was directing this, too.

2016:
Blood Father and Hacksaw Ridge.
The year of Mel.

Can't wait for their next movie Max & Sam

Who wants to eat?

Who the FUCK wants to eat?

Go have something to eat!!

HOORAY!!!!!

Fuck!!

FUUUUUUUCCCKKKKK!!!!!

FUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCKKKKKKK!!!!

FUCK and HATE!!!

FUCK

CUNT

COCK

Grbfgdsdlfknlk
Shut up Madonna *back hand slap*

Oh, I thought it would be called The Wife Beaters.
All joking aside, I might see this flick.

Back