The problems with the "Cain can push JDS' cardio to win" argument.

Cain just isnt a good athlete. He's gonna be slower, weaker, less power, more chinny. Good cardio? I bet JDS has that covered as well.

Cain just isnt a good athlete. He's gonna be slower, weaker, less power, more chinny. Good cardio? I bet JDS has that covered as well.

and compare who Cain fought to who Junior fought.... tells the story right there.

tumblr_m9xvj4IexV1r9652ro1_r1_500.gif

cardio wont mean anything.. this is a heavyweight title fight not a lightweight fight.. this is not going anywhere near 5 rounds decision.. this fight is ending in 2 rounds and JDS is gonna knock Cain out cold.

Cain does what Chael did to Anderson but doesn't get caught and he wins. Cain is going to win I think. He shows the ability to fight to his strengths like he did vs Big Foot. A lot of times fighters don't fight their fight ala BJ Penn, Sugar Evans, late Randy Couture...just do what you do best in Cain's case gnp to a victory. (if he can get JDS down)

Cain abandoning his standup is to become predictable against a devastating striker.

Very well written OP...I agree

So KOd once and he doesn't have a good "chin"

inb4kongodroppedhimtwice

buthestillrecoveredtowinthefight

I feel he gets wobbled easy not sure if it's true but a possibility. Similar to Bisping he's never really been KO'd/TKO'd much but he gets wobbeled in like every other fight.

I don't know if this is true for Cain but its certainly possible. I've never seen Kongo as a power striker.

Cain's wrestling and top game is arguably the best in the sport... JDS is like a lil-nog or a diaz brother, good TDD and possibly great bottom defense, but when stacked up against a the best wrestlers in his division he'll not be allowed to do anything.

I like Cain but he doesn't have the chin of Carwin or Nelson and will get knocked out again.

Cain's wrestling and top game is arguably the best in the sport... JDS is like a lil-nog or a diaz brother, good TDD and possibly great bottom defense, but when stacked up against a the best wrestlers in his division he'll not be allowed to do anything.

Just like the first fight? The difference between Junior and the Diaz brothers or most heavy handed punchers in the UFC, is that Juniors' TDD doesn't start with his sprawl. Junior's footwork is the tops in the division, and that's why he has an "untested" TDD despite being opposite more than competent grapplers. If you want to start comparing Junior to smaller fighters, don't use the least mobile fighters you can think of.

Don't get me wrong, Cain is quick too, but as an aggressive wrestler/striker he's always coming forward. It's a safe game against slow heavyweights who can be grabbed, or comboed after a countering jab, but its a much riskier game with dos Santos.

Just like the first fight? The difference between Junior and the Diaz brothers or most heavy handed punchers in the UFC, is that Juniors' TDD doesn't start with his sprawl. Junior's footwork is the tops in the division, and that's why he has an "untested" TDD despite being opposite more than competent grapplers. If you want to start comparing Junior to smaller fighters, don't use the least mobile fighters you can think of.

Don't get me wrong, Cain is quick too, but as an aggressive wrestler/striker he's always coming forward. It's a safe game against slow heavyweights who can be grabbed, or comboed after a countering jab, but its a much riskier game with dos Santos.

It may be just like the first fight, that's how JDS wins this fight--by knockout.

But if JDS does consistently avoid the takedown and/or escape from the bottom against the best most aggressive wrestler in the sport, than he'll be the first brazillian to ever do so. I just don't see that happening.

On paper this fight is a lot like Randy vs. Vitor.

It may be just like the first fight, that's how JDS wins this fight--by knockout.

But if JDS does consistently avoid the takedown and/or escape from the bottom against the best most aggressive wrestler in the sport, than he'll be the first brazillian to ever do so. I just don't see that happening.

On paper this fight is a lot like Randy vs. Vitor.

Not at all like Vitor. Vitor is another linear defensive striker. Even worse, he is an aggressive, mid-range puncher who relies on flurrying rushes , where dos Santos is about the opposite. A bad comparison, except for their nationality.

Good post TS. If Cain is going to win his head movement has to be improved when coming in for the TD.. Mix it up change levels and get it down.. IF he can't do that he is going to sleep again..

Cain has poor head movement and gets rocked easily (even by HW standards).

If he can get this fight into the 3rd round I think his chances increase dramatically and exponentially with each subsequent round.

I just don't think its going to go that far. But I really hope it does. I'm not a huge fan of either fighter but I like and respect them both that I don't want them to lose to each other.

jds can easily ko cain again but i think people are still over estimating his striking

yes jds. he made cain look like an easier fight than mir. jds landed a looping bomb behind cains ear. cain saw it coming and it landed in the perfect spot. i hate to use the serra gsp reference because jds is way more dangerous and powerful but its kind of what happened. jds hadnt landed anything and didnt set up that fight ending bomb all that well.

i think JDS will have a way tougher time landing that home run shot again. that said its nothing like gsp serra in that jds is a great HW and isnt totally out matched

i think if cain has trouble with the TD he still try to clinch and put JDS up against the cage and tire him out and fill his arms up with blood

i got cain by cardio but its tough to call. jds looked bigger than i expected at the face off today and cain seems to make mistakes.

funny-gifs-stupid-people.gif

Cains attributes:

CARDIO
Wrestling
Relentless G&P

The problem is JDS has dynamite in his hands, and if he connects early Cain won't be able to show his main skill set. If He makes it through the first two rounds I give him a big advantage in the fight. He's going to have to play the distance game to perfection, and make this a dirty fight.

Back