The Price of Failure(Murdocks Lifting Log)

murdock00

Piss Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
I told myself I wouldnt do this. Lifting logs are dumb, I said. Online lifting logs are even worse. (No offense) For someone like me who is, at best, a recreational lifter, they are completely pointless and a waste of time. Recent events have led me to reevaluate that opinion. Long story short Ive been pissed at my lack of gains recently and cant remember what the fuck ive been doin from week to week in detail enough to accurately measure progress, or more specifically lack thereof. That being said I welcome any and all participation in this log, good, bad or otherwise. Alright then lets get this trainwreck underway!

Stats n' Shit

Height : 5'9"
Weight: 165-170 lbs

Current Maxes (Best of my Knowledge)

Bench: 210lbs
Squat: 190lbs ATG (Yes I am quite ashamed)
Dead: 250lbs (Yes I am even more ashamed)

Current Goals

Bench: 225
Squat: 240
Deadlift: 300

Interesting Info About Me

You will never meet a more apathetic, unenergetic, unmotivated **** in your entire life. Ive had a lack of energy pretty much my entire life, and I do believe it influences the way I approach life in more ways than I care to admit. Im pretty sure its psychological and not physical and I only bring it up b/c I feel that it does affect my lifting, sometimes to the point I cant complete a workout. Allright enough Dr. Phil bullshit lets get to the really embarrassing parts.

Thursday 4-17-08 2:30pm

Bench
135x10 (warmup)
155x5
165x5
175x5
185x5
195x3

Notes: Damn shoulders always give me problems when I bench. I keep my shoulderblades together and keep my back tight as I can but on heavy sets they feel uncomfortable. OHP gives me no problems though, its weird.

Incline Bench
115x8
135x6
145x6

Notes: Shoulders felt fine on this, most likely due to the bitch weight.

Standing Dumbbell Curls
Included here for completeness sake.

Skull Crushers
65x6
65x8
65x8

Notes: Done with an EZ-Curl bar.Used wrist wraps. More weight than I normally use(not much), they were heavy, but still felt under control.

Overall Notes:
Did everything I set out to do. Thought about doing some heavy double/singles(10-15lbs more) on Bench but decided not to risk my shoulder too much. Other than that felt pretty good and was surprised I did SC's with that much weight as easily as I did. Well I didnt drop the bar on my head anyway. Ive been staring Bill Starr in the face for a few months now but havent had the balls to actually give it a try. Ill finish this week out and keep it in mind.

Saturday 4-19-08 2:30pm

SOHP

Barx20 (Warmup)
85x10
105x5
115x5
115x5
125x5
125x4 (Failed on 5th rep)

Notes: Bar Cleaned from floor, used wrist wraps on 125. Wanted 135 so bad but triceps were shot from Benching.

Deadlift

135x10 (Warmup)
185x5
205x5
215x5 (Had to use straps to hold weight)
225x5 (See above)

Notes: Starting doin deads on Fatty's advice. He told me the only was to get huge bulging discs like his was to hit the deads.
This is my 2nd week doin them, had no idea they were so fucking taxing. I was sweating like a whore in church.

Shrugs

185x8
195x8
205x8

Notes: Used straps on all sets. Grip was absolutely shot to shit. I didnt realize I was that damn weak.

Chins

BWx10
BW+15x8
BW+25x6

Notes: On the 2nd and 3rd set I had to reset on the floor halfway through b/c I could barely hold onto the bar.

Pullups

BWx10
BW+25x6
BW+25x6

Notes: Same as above.

Overall Notes:
Deads are fucking tough. Even with the light weight Im using. Next session I think Ill try a slightly less strict form on Shrugs that Bill Starr suggested from a thread posted earlier. Gonna go watch the fight at a buddy's house, fucking excited for this one. After reading the interview Serra gave on Sherdog it made me realize hes probably as much a victim of fabricated hype and animosity as any other fighter.

This is my 2nd week doin them, had no idea they were so fucking taxing. I was sweating like a whore in church.

I know what you're saying about these. I can't believe how much I sweat when I do these. I can't think of a more intense exercise for your CNS.

Damn, I thought you had titled yourself "The Prince Of Failure" for a while there...

Nice log, keep up the good work!

I pity the fool who post in that crazy fool murdock's log.

Anyway i would say:

Don't use straps on DL, try using a mixed grip (1 underhand one over hand.) You can also hook grip. Avoid wraps whenever possible.

Chins and Pull ups? There's no real reason to use multiple grips in one workout. Your load was high that day already like you said, DLs are hard.

Damn, I thought you had titled yourself "The Prince Of Failure" for a while there...

Nice log, keep up the good work!

Haha thats awesome, wish I had thought of it. And thanks.

Oh and Im keeping up with your log too. Im interested to see how Bill Starr works for someone whos not too much of a pussy to try it.

Monday 4-21-08 3:30pm

Squats
135x10 (warmup)
155x5
165x5
175x5
185x5
135x10

Notes: My form on squats still isnt where I want it to be. I have trouble coming out of the hole, Im not explosive enough, and my knees wobble on heavier sets. I did higher volume on the low range to try and get used to proper form, and to build a little more endurance. 185 didnt feel super heavy, but I just had trouble pushing out of the hole. I also dont think Im goin deep enough on heavier sets. Fuck.

Front Squats
115x6
125x5
135x5

Notes: Still working on wrist flexibility, feels pretty strained when I do these. Not sure about hand width placement either. Is a slight forward lean normal?

Barbell Calf Raises
Seriously....wtf?

Overall Notes: Was another one of those days, goddamnit. Woke up really tired, had trouble gettin my ass in gear. Kept telling myself it was time to workout, and kept ending up on the couch half asleep. I suck.

Monday 4-21-08 3:30pm

Squats

Notes: My form on squats still isnt where I want it to be. I have trouble coming out of the hole, Im not explosive enough, and my knees wobble on heavier sets. I did higher volume on the low range to try and get used to proper form, and to build a little more endurance. 185 didnt feel super heavy, but I just had trouble pushing out of the hole. I also dont think Im goin deep enough on heavier sets. Fuck.

Hump.

I don't know if you are low bar or high bar squatting but humping solves pretty much every weightlifting problem.

Rocking box squats could help.

Only do weight you can do correctly.

Wednesday 4-23-08 2:00pm

Benchpress
135x10(warmup)
175x5
175x5
175x5
175x5
175x5

Notes: Lowered the uprights on my bench and it seemed to make it easier to lift off the weight. Decided to try heavier weight and skip the incline to kinda get rdy for next week.

Skullcrushers
65x10
65x10
65x10

Notes: This weight feels alot more comfortable than it used too. Ill try it for a little while longer and then move up 5lbs. Id like to give close grip bench some more work but I dont wanna stress my shoulders too much if I dont have too.

Misc Ab Work

Overall Notes: Fell good today. Much much better than Monday. Ive decided to give the Starr program a go, starting next week. I also went to a site Rippetoe has a Q&A section on and watched ALOT of user submitted Squat videos he critiqued and read his responses and believe I can use what Ive learned to improve my own Squat technique. Heh funny thing is Im dreading designing the program scheme more than the actual workout itself. Thats a special kind of lazy there.

You should really post your current routine in the OP...

I was going to say box squats too. If you have to use lower weight who cares? They definitely help with form, depth, coming out of the hole, everything.

And start doing some grip work for sure. Do deadlifts double overhand until you absolutely can't, then try mixed grip, but ditch the straps.

I was going to say box squats too. If you have to use lower weight who cares? They definitely help with form, depth, coming out of the hole, everything.

And start doing some grip work for sure. Do deadlifts double overhand until you absolutely can't, then try mixed grip, but ditch the straps.

Agreed on the straps. Ive got some coc's so thatll help with grip. I havent been doin squats long enough to try variations just yet, so Ill just stick with back squats for awhile longer. Ill switchem later on after I see how the Starr thing goes.

/trips over log....holy shit is this thing still here?

/dusts off log, glances around nervously....fucking hell this is awkward...

/shuffles feet uncomfortably....well as long as Im here...

Harro log, I am sorry to have abandoned you for so very long. These long months I have been away I was helping a friend bury some hookers in the desert. I hope you understand.

Rong story short Im a razy **** and didnt update my rog. I tried to 5x5 for about a month and didnt make any noticeable gains due I believe almost entirely on my lack of proper recovery. Squatting 3 times a week didnt sit well with my knees either. Not blaming the squats on that. Most of all I just got fucking bored with it. I started dreading lifting days. When I realized that thats when I stopped. Maybe later Ill resume, well see.

Allright current status. I read some of Urbans log and found out hes a speed freak and figured if Smack worked for him, hell its good enough for me. Been drinking energy drinks pre workout for a week or so and they really work. Im still tired but I dont just give a flying fuck. I find myself slapping my hands together and shit like a goddamned curl monkey. Im just glad Im at home so noone sees this shit. 3 a week is what Im at now until I get hooked then Im sure Ill be blowing my dealer for a six pack. Ok enough bullshit, time for....more bullshit!

Monday 6-16-08

Bench
135x10
155x5
165x5
175x5
185x5
190x5

Notes: Fucking ass shit hell. Im goddamn stuck on bench. I mean fucking good n' stuck. That 190 was ugly as shit. Ive been able to rep 185 for a while now and Im not improving. Im gradually raising the reps and shit higher but I keep hitting this wall. Gonna do some heavier singles and doubles next week for the top part and see how it goes. FUCK

Bicep Curl
Vain sissy motherfucker. Did you flex in the mirror too? Its assistance for chins I swear! Yea just like gettin your taint waxed right?

Incline Bench
135x6
135x6
145x5

Notes: Bout got that 145 stuck on my ass. God thats sad but it happens every time.

Skullcrushers
45x15
55x12
55x12

Notes: Brought the weight down to get back in the groove of them. Gonna alternate Close grip and these from time to time.

Overall Notes: I am Plateaued. There I said it. My new goal is to rep 200 for 5 on bench. Gonna be fucking tough. I can hit 205 for 1 without straining too much, but it is fucking heavy. Gonna alternate assistance exercises week to week, maybe that will help bust this plateau.

In other news: CHECK OUT MY FUCKING NEW AVATAR HELLZ FUCKING YEA!!!!!!

And in honor of my new Avatar...

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZvJ7OfMByhk&hl=en"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZvJ7OfMByhk&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Back