1. We are currently experiencing technical difficulties. For those experiencing login issues, a temporary solution is to clear your cache and cookies on your web browser. We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience.
  2. The official Sherdog Store is back! Check it out! » Discuss it here! »

The power of words

Discussion in 'Mayberry Lounge' started by Alphaboy, Jan 13, 2020.

1. Alphaboy Gold Belt

One thing that fascinates me is when cultures that have never met each other develop sayings, rituals, customs, etc. independently.

Now I like to think of myself as a man of science, but even science has its limitations. If I hear of a group of people have practiced a form of medicine or old wives tale for centuries, I'm going to put stock in it; these people have been doing what they do for that long for a reason. Even if Western science has not yet found any evidence of said practice's effectiveness, I will give it credence.

With that said, I've always grown up hearing about the "power of words". This is something I've heard among Americans, non-Americans, spiritual people, non-spiritual people, etc. I think just about every culture says not to jinx things or not to put bad energy in the universe, speak positive affirmations, etc.

What do you think about this Sherbros? Is what we say important or is it just a matter of superstition? Do our words have some power to make things manifest, or is it just a hindsight justification we use when things inevitably happen?

Thoughts?

2. Threetrees Free Jon Gruden

most obvious answer

3. Aegon Spengler Gold Belt

Placebo effect is a legitimate phenomenon and isn’t well understood.

We also are just barely starting to understand how and why we generate grammar.

I think your curiosity is justified and your thought process is very sound. I’d recommend looking into an anthropologist named Renato Rosaldo and an emotion named “liget” - crazy fucking story man.

4. OverCoronavirus Pressure Mayberry = War Room, WR = OT. Shit. Banned

5/7/89 Grateful Dead show, Frost amphitheatre
    I personally don't say things. It sets a bad precedent.

5. Alphaboy Gold Belt

The interesting thing about placebo effect is that it will work even if you know it is a placebo; this opens up questions about the power of the mind over the body... but hey, they say if the mind was simple enough to understand, we wouldn't be smart enough to understand it anyway.

Thanks for the reference, I'll check it out. If you have any articles or anything feel free to send them my way.

6. Estemachine Gold Belt

I can't tell you how many times I stopped people from cursing themselves, for example when they say "I'm getting sick" I'll stop them and tell them to say instead "I'm the healthiest, I've ever been" or "I have great health" etc.

People have no idea all the problems they create for themselves just by their language, I am extremely careful of the way I talk, specially of the way I talk to myself. I always speak to myself in a positive way.

7. Alphaboy Gold Belt

You avoid saying positive things, negative things, both?

8. Alphaboy Gold Belt

Just curious are you religious or non-religious. You're from South America, right?

9. SammyPops Steel Belt

Words are important. Think of, for example, that Chinese word for black people carries a negative note. Interesting eh?

10. Aegon Spengler Gold Belt

Well, ok, but I don’t want to derail the thread too much.

https://www.npr.org/sections/health...scovers-the-terrible-emotion-locked-in-a-word

11. Alphaboy Gold Belt

Damn, not to get off topic but the word and slur is the same? Shit.

12. SammyPops Steel Belt

As its been explained to me.

Get this- even the word for white person is not good. Some say it means lightskinned but other say it translates to 'see through, not worth looking at'.

13. Jack Reacheround Never Go Black

Then you are not a wise investor. Many things cultures do for a long time are done solely because they are tradition. Like boiling eggs in virgin boys’ urine.

Even a lot of the conventional wisdom for western medicine has been reversed with the advent of big data. But eastern medicine seems to have the most bullshit in it.

14. SKYNET Infrared Belt Platinum Member

Words are only as important as the context in which they are being used.

as far as them having any power, that can vary depending on who is listening or reading them

15. Estemachine Gold Belt

Non religious, but I'm spiritual.

16. RetiredSlave Red Belt

Theyre outward expressions of thought. Kind of like saying guns are powerful. Just tools.

17. Threetrees Free Jon Gruden

I mean not very interesting questions to be honest
    https://www.cochranelibrary.com/cdsr/doi/10.1002/14651858.CD003974.pub2/full

In terms of the question of the thread,
    I think the way in which people perceive things is important, for example positive thinking before a job interview will likely help reduce stress and help with confidence - so "speaking it into existence" is just a reinforcement of that mindset.

And cross cultural studies of language that reveal interesting things about the way in which different cultures describe different things with language, isn't really an interesting finding about the power of words - its an interesting finding about the differences in perspectives and how those influence life.

18. Alphaboy Gold Belt

19. JOE QUEEF Red Belt Platinum Member

This is some intelligent discussion, I tell you hwhat.

Carry on.

20. Threetrees Free Jon Gruden

Pain tolerance is subjective,
    This doesn't claim anything contrary to the article I posted.

IBS is trickier to explain, but still not so much as length of exposure to the placebo with or without deception dulls the efficacy