Economy The Poorest 20% of Americans Are Richer on Average Than Most European Nations

It's true I see everyone even kids, especially kids, wearing expensive brand new clothes like Jordans and what not while their parents are on WIC and welfare.

Do people not know that our poor get (and have always received) free no-deductible HC including dental and vision?
Prior to Obamacare, even. Medicaid. And a hospital treats anyone who comes in the door by law. Again, all before anyone ever heard of Obama.
I never did understand the HC BS.

Yeah but to qualify you have to work part-time at Mcdonalds. Even a full-time Mcdonalds worker is considered too 'wealthy' to qualify for subsidized basic healthcare.

<{hfved}>{<jordan}

In Europe you can make 100k and still qualify for evil gubment healthcare.

It's true I see everyone even kids, especially kids, wearing expensive brand new clothes like Jordans and what not while their parents are on WIC and welfare.

And they also have Iphones, spinner rims, and buy lobsters with their EBT cards, and are richer than both the richest cavemen and medieval kings combined!!

<Ellaria01>

Poverty is a relative to to the place where you live.
A family living in a dirty 3 room house in the Chicago with a car in the sidewalks would be considered well sorted in Brazil.

Many people who get an expensive illness/injury do care about their credit and want more than public housing, free sausage and egg sandwiches at school for their kids, etc. A lot of these people have insurance, but their plan says they owe thousands of dollars out of pocket.
Why don't they learn to code then? You can learn to code online for literally free and start out at like a $70K job and be making 6 figures in a year or two. Why don't they just join the military? They could be retired in their 30s! It's so easy to succeed in America.

What's wrong with a sausage and egg sandwich? Should poor people get steaks and caviar or something? What's wrong with a public house? Should all poor people get a downtown flat or something? Free food, free house, free phones, I mean come on -- that's good living for a "poor" person. You got people making your phones for $2/ hour working their butts off to just survive in tin shaqs and you're mad that our poor get free food, phones, and homes? What else should they get for free?

Last edited:
Why don't they learn to code then? You can learn to code online for literally free and start out at like a $70K job and be making 6 figures in a year or two. Why don't they just join the military? They could be retired in their 30s! It's so easy to succeed in America.

Who is the "they" you're referring to? In the post you quoted I'm talking about people who aren't content to work minimum wage jobs i.e. people who want more than the minimum society will give someone. So why would you respond by talking about ways people can earn better wages when I'm talking about people who have done just that?

What's wrong with a sausage and egg sandwich? Should poor people get steaks and caviar or something? What's wrong with a public house? Should all poor people get a downtown flat or something? Free food, free house, free phones, I mean come on -- that's good living for a "poor" person. You got people making your phones for $2/ hour working their butts off to just survive in tin shaqs and you're mad that our poor get free food, phones, and homes? What else should they get for free?

I didn't say there's anything wrong with any of that. I've said most people want more than that, and some of the people who have worked to get more than that face extreme distress because of our government's shitty healthcare policy.

I always had this feeling that Americans have a lot more "stuff" than people in other countries, even our poor people.

https://fee.org/articles/the-poorest-20-of-americans-are-richer-than-most-nations-of-europe/

We really don't have poor people. Poor is no electricity, no running water, no sewage system, and a corrugated steel roof is a luxury. Poor is having kids walk miles to get clean water that is poured into jugs which they walk back with. Either that or drink water that has a high chance of containing cholera.

Imagine being so deceived that we celebrate having more debt than others. We really are doomed.

We really don't have poor people. Poor is no electricity, no running water, no sewage system, and a corrugated steel roof is a luxury. Poor is having kids walk miles to get clean water that is poured into jugs which they walk back with. Either that or drink water that has a high chance of containing cholera.

We have millions of poor people. Just because they aren't living in the conditions you describe doesn't mean they aren't poor.

"the poorest 20 percent of Americans consume more goods and services than the national averages for all people in most affluent countries"

1 in every 32 adult Americans are under some sort of criminal justice system control.
Are prisons considered as goods and services in this report?

Lmao

Do people not know that our poor get (and have always received) free no-deductible HC including dental and vision?
Prior to Obamacare, even. Medicaid. And a hospital treats anyone who comes in the door by law. Again, all before anyone ever heard of Obama.
I never did understand the HC BS.
Yep, my unemployed alcoholic mother has. Free cataract surgery on both eyes, surgery to fix broken bones covered, medications for $5. All just by showing up at the doctor.

I verify that this not true.. Being a North European myself and to be specific from Denmark.. This report is not true. The poor live luxury in Scandinavia and there is definitely no food stamp or such things

Last edited:

That was poor in 1850. That's not poor today. Even people in third world countries don't have it that bad.

lol this is the most dogshit right wing garbage.
"groundbreaking study by Just Facts has discovered that after accounting for all income, charity, and non-cash welfare benefits like subsidized housing and food stamps, the poorest 20 percent of Americans consume more goods and services than the national averages for all people in most affluent countries"

So in translation:
We worship at the feet of the rich writing misleading tabloid garbage that tries to imply that poor people have it great by running weird tallies of all the potential charities and government program they could conceivably get then compare it to a ridiculously lower cost of living area like eastern Europe which is also a shithole. therefor super rich people are great, government is bad, and poors need to vote for less taxes and the middle class should sneer at the uppity poors.
<PlusJuan>

It's all relative. The top 20% have access to essentially whatever they desire, including the ability to exploit laws for further financial gain.

Back