The perfect summary of my opinion of my party.

@panamaican

th

Despite all the nastiness and disingenuity of the right , you still need all of them to vote for that ticket, because in the end -- it gets you what you really want, Pan... more money in your pocket.

100%. Donald Trump is mostly a liberal with some right wing positions on popular issues.
I find this pretty funny. "We hate liberals... Our candidate is mostly liberal." That plays into the whole tribalism thing.

But no matter how you slice it, this election brought out the worst in everyone.

I find this pretty funny. "We hate liberals... Our candidate is mostly liberal." That plays into the whole tribalism thing.
Well, you probably assume that I'm big on Trump then.
I would consider myself (mostly) a tea party conservative who dislikes most of Donald Trump's policies, who in my opinion isn't a conservative at all.
Yet he clearly was the lesser of the two evils from my point of view, which is why I voted for him.
Everything else is just schadenfreude over butthurt leftists and trolling. So yes you could argue it brought out the worst.

I disagree with the author that conservatism is about free trade and how one carries themselves

To me, conservatism is about small government. Low taxes and small spending, with the government interfering as little as possible. They also defend changes to the constitution and fundamental American values

I feel like conservatives have made a mistake by pandering to evangelicals who only care about same sex marriage and abortion, which run contrary to the message of a government who leaves you alone as much as possible

The main sticking points liberals seem to have with republicans are those two battles, which frankly, are not likely to be won by conservatives. However if you ask the average republican why they support the party, they usually bring up taxes and economical issues. I think if the Republican Party moved more towards libertarianism, they would win every time
as soon as the repubs start treating the evangelicals like the dems do blacks the better. What are they gonna do, vote democrat.

Back