1. We now have a new forum called Fantasy Matchup Discussion. Access it here

The perfect partner

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by Jango, Aug 2, 2010.

1. Jango

Jango Yellow Belt

I wanted to hear what you guys are looking for in a drilling partner.

For me, it's someone who is about the same body type and weight and who reacts dynamically. By dynamic, I mean someone who will have very little resistance when you're trying the technique out for the first time, then after you've gotten the basic movements down, they'll add more resistance and maybe move around a little bit. And then when it feels more fluid, they'll start to defend a little. This is all within a 10-15 minute period and I've found that this is the fastest way for me to learn and remember.

I've only found a couple others who prefer this way of drilling as well. Most I've tried it with didn't get the idea of gradually adding resistance. Some preferred that I just stay pliant the whole time so they could get the technique down. It seems to be different for everyone, so I always ask how they want to drill.

Anyone else like drilling the way I do, or prefer to never have resistance while drilling, or have a different way altogether?

2. curb1850

curb1850 Green Belt

I like to try the technique a few times, switch, then switch back and have them defend better. I do like to try and nail the move a few times.

3. bjornvil

bjornvil Blue Belt

Beautiful, smart, funny, nice rack...

Wait... what???

I aggree with OP. This is our preferred drilling technique at our gym. Start without resistance, then add resistance until we try hitting the move with about 70% resistance.

4. kahyo

kahyo Orange Belt

I agree. A couple of the blue belts at my school do just that and I learn way more that way then any other method.

5. lechien

lechien Gold Belt

It is a hard one.
    I ussually pair up with the newest guy ever in the club. and do not offer any resistance at all.

6. outonbail

outonbail Living My Dreams

my perfect partner is better then me, but same weight.
    so i can work up on getting equal skills

7. ILikeBread

ILikeBread Green Belt

4 years ago I tried BJJ for the first time. I trained for many months. I could apply techniques when drilling, but when sparring you wouldn't know that I had been training for more than a few weeks.

I had to stop training when the club closed down, but recently started again. I was better at grappling in the space of a month + than I was after all that time I spent grappling years ago.

I think I have drilling with resistance and positional sparring to thank for that.

8. Fallen

Fallen Brown Belt

The perfect partner is one who listens. As with most situations, communication is key, and the onus is on the individual who wants their needs met to clearly communicate how those needs must be met (within reason of course). So for me the perfect partner will listen to my requests.

For example, some techniques come faster then others, so I will ask my partner to ramp up the resistance faster if I feel I've got the tech down. Other times I want a completely compliant grappling dummy. It varies, but I feel like as long as I'm vocal with what I want, and my partner listens, then they are doing me the best service possible.

9. Joose

Joose Purple Belt

The perfect partner is not one but many. How are you going to modify and make your game betterr if you drill with someone your same weight/height/skill level? You need heavier guys, lighter guys, better skilled guys to push you and lower skilled guys to work on your technique and moves you are trying get better at.

My perfect partner is a gym filled with people of all shapes and sizes who are willing to come in and seriously train....... and if that fails a woman with huge tits and a tight gi.

10. Fallen

Fallen Brown Belt

I think her having no gi would be ideal for those purposes?

11. sanchezero

sanchezero Green Belt