The perfect Manhattan or Old Fashion

MusclesMarinara

Friends with Bigfoot
@red
Reaction score
With my heavy drinking days behind me, I am more about quality rather than quantity. Well, actually I've always been about quality.. I've just had issues with quantity. yada yada.

I do believe I have found the perfect Manhattan recipe. Ladies and gentlemen I present to you the...
The Italian Stallion

4 ounces Hudson Manhattan RYE
1 ounce Cynar (70 proof)
3 dashes Basement Bitters
1 cherry

marinate the cherries in a mix of cherry liqueur and Amaretto. Spoon one cherry and a bit of the marinade in to the bottom of a Martini glass. Mix the liquid ingredients into a cocktail shaker with ice. Shake the bejeezus out it. Strain in to the Martini glass.

Extend your little finger and enjoy.

Anyone else got a good drink recipe?

Pomegranate Martini, the in drink, for Blue haired hags and Gum-bump'n old goons.

Pomegranate-Martini.jpg

Highly recommended.

Ah the 'rim job' is something I should add to my arsenal.

I like me some drinks made with cynar.

some drinks I like right now are:

old fashioned(with 16 drops of Angostura bitters)
Sazerac
Negroni
Boulevardier

I'll post a recipe when I'm not on my phone

I thought an old fashioned was when mary jane rottencrotch gave you a handy whilst wearing rubber gloves
tmb_2222_480.jpg

Never had one, but I'm very interested.

Just had a Pimm's Cup the other night at dinner and it's a very refreshing cocktail if you've never had one

I remember when I started bartending every book I read mentioned the Old Fashioned as an essential drink you had to know how to make, yet few people ever order it and almost no bars around where I live know how to make it well.

I did have one at an old place that went out of business with bourbon and a touch of cherry liqueur that would be my go-to drink for the rest of my life if I could figure out how to recreate it.

giphy.gif

I remember when I started bartending every book I read mentioned the Old Fashioned as an essential drink you had to know how to make, yet few people ever order it and almost no bars around where I live know how to make it well.

I did have one at an old place that went out of business with bourbon and a touch of cherry liqueur that would be my go-to drink for the rest of my life if I could figure out how to recreate it.

giphy.gif

I thought the same when I started bartending but you'd be surprised. I've already made more than a handful of old fashioneds, a couple manhattans, and tons of traditional martinis (gin and vodka).

I actually like making all those drinks. Muddling the ingredients, shaking, straining, the garnishing. Makes me feel like an actual bartender vs. just pouring jack and coke in a glass.

Pfft back in my day we called it a New Amsterdam. And Italian what? Take your greasy ass back to italy.

They best not muddle anything except sugar in my Old Fashions!

Don't shake it, you will bruise the liquor and change the flavor profile. Stir it

i drink the shit out of old fashioneds but drink them too fast and get wasted

Where the fuck is the poll...

√oldfashined

wtf is cynar? And i do agree a good manhattan should be shaken

Basement bitters I havent come across before, I'll have to check them out.

In Australia most cocktails are only allowed to contain 60mls of booze (2 ounces). Your recipe sounds like a monster.

I do like myself some hudsons, but if you can get your hands on this (or if someone wants to buy a bottle and ship it down to me - I'd happily pay) It's incredible.

copper-fox-rye-whisky-2.jpg

I bartended for years, during college and after.

Worked in some High end places as well.

My old fashioned tip is as follows
1)cherry plus an orange piece
2) 2-3 dash of bitters (you can also use the orange flavored bitters as well)
3) half a sugar package but if you like it sweeter pour in a teaspoon of cherry juice from the jar.

4) use a bartenders spoon to stir the drink. Don't shake it. Stir it by using the smooth end of the spoon to rub against the inside of the glass.

Also I add a drop or a splash of club soda at the end. I like mine with s bit of effervescence

Back