The people who think coke isn't a PED

Kelman

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Anyone know where the sports medical fraternity stand on this?

If cocaine is not viewed as having any directly applicable properties to sports/sports training then I think Jones's failed test is not such a big issue really.

If cocaine is considered to be of value to a user in terms of performance or of training ability, then you'd have to expect the UFC to strip him and suspend him.

Anyone know for sure which it is? I don't have a clue really, it's not a common drug for a sportsman to be caught with, as far as I know.

In competition: yes

Out of competition: no

Huge Jones fan here..
Cocaine IS , and has always been performance enhancing for a pro athlete. It is as effective if not more than roids.

If you don't think it's a PED, you're a massive dork who needs to get their head out of their asses.

It's not a banned substance. Jones will be ready to defend against Rumble-Gus.

I do cocke sometimes to enchance everything (except sexual performance).

If he was on it during the fight an taking a bump between rounds maybe

If it took it before the fight it would speed up his reflexes and give him more stamina for the fight as well as a numbness which would enable him to take more shots. Having said that he probably just used it to party and chat more freely during the press week. That rehab story is complete bs. Coke addicts take a few lines an hour, don't think Jones is on that.

I've already seen a few threads saying "wait, coke is OK but weed isn't?" or "Diaz gets suspended for a year for weed and Jones does coke and gets nothing?"

OK I'm not sure if these threads are serious, maybe they're people just playing around, but if they are and for anyone else similarly confused this thread is for you.

First, there's a difference between in competition testing (that is, the drug tests you take immediately after your fight) and out of competition testing (the tests you take in the weeks/months leading up to an announced fight.)

Both coke and weed are banned substances in an in-competition test. Neither coke nor weed is banned in an out of competition test.

Jones tested positive for coke metabolites in an out of competition test. Diaz tested positive for weed metabolites in an in-competition test.

I will note that the weed rules have changed, and the threshold for a positive test is MUCH higher now than it was when Diaz got popped. It's high enough so that you'd have to be high or have just smoked mere hours before your fight to test positive now. Diaz's positive test probably would've come back negative today. It's unfortunate that he and many others were punished for a drug metabolite that didn't have any influence on the fight, but at least that flaw in the rules is fixed. Diaz also got a higher suspension because it was his second offense.

So that's the difference between coke and weed (TL;DR, there basically isn't any) and that's why Diaz got suspended and Jones didn't.

Last edited:
Coke is a stimulant. On the long run, if you're a heavy user, it fucks you up... but if you're an occasional user, it greatly enhances your reflexes, your speed and your stamina/endurance, with no real bad side-effect (well except maybe the risk of becoming addicted)

Dunno if Jones was high when he fought, but if so, he's a fucking cheater who deserve to lose his title

Huge Jones fan here..
Cocaine IS , and has always been performance enhancing for a pro athlete. It is as effective if not more than roids.

If you don't think it's a PED, you're a massive dork who needs to get their head out of their asses.

Source?

because from what I understand cocaine can actually be lethal when exercising (it increases your heart rate and so does training..it strains the heart)

I dont like posting about stuff like this but coke really is a PED

I honestly think it could be used to gain a bit of advantage when training. It definitely gives you a feeling of invincibility and energetic, in short bursts anyway.

Do I think Jones used it to help with training? No. But in theory I would think guys have used it this way before.

I think cocaine would do far more harm than good for training. The majority of the studies on it show that its benefits are more psychological than physical and that many of the physical effects are capable of being very detrimental especially in endurance activities. That said, the psychological benefits are real and that's why it's banned in competition. Out of competition it will harm you more than it will help. In a grueling 25 minute fight like the one Jones just went through, it could be disastrously detrimental considering it's effects on heart rate and heat retention.

If you haven't used coke you really shouldn't have an opinion

It's not a banned substance. Jones will be ready to defend against Rumble-Gus.

Yes it is banned, just not for out of competition, if his most recent test comes up positive (the in-competition test which was taken fight night or night prior), then he is stripped of belt, win becomes NC, and he's suspended from fighting.

Saying it's not banned as a flat statement is wrong. It is banned.

Was he even tested on fight night?

Lol anyone that doesn't think coke is a performance enhancer have obviously never fucked a girl while on coke

Bones knows!!!!

Back