The only way for Whittaker to win the rematch

Canarinha

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
We all know the recipe for Whittaker winning the rematch, no matter how many adjustments Rob has made since he lost to Izzy the first time...his best shot is to wrestle and gnp Izzy.

If he decides to engage a striking game he gon lose again.

It worked for Jan over Izzy.

Wrestle, when blitzing make sure to mostly use the Jab on it so you don't over extend and get countered, Use your kicks from range and work the body (Whittaker threw some nice body shots on Kelvin this fight). Choping izzy at the legs and trying to back him up (hard to do with Whittakers bladed stance) will most likely be the gameplan.

You guys think that simply because you perceive Jan to be less than great that he isn't tactical and smart, utilized his size advantage and took away Izzy's counter game who himself was worried about Jan's power, that Izzy suddenly has shit or exploitable TDD. Not every fight is the same, nor the situation.

Anything but, honestly. At 185, Izzy's TDD is some of the best there is in the division. He has demonstrated it time and time again and Jan is an explainable outlier at this point.

I was glad to see Rob utilize a smart game plan last night and show that he's willing to wrestle and grapple to slow down his opposition and while that is a path to victory against Izzy it isn't something he can easily implement. He still really needs to work on cutting down on that winging right hand and put his hands up more despite it possibly hurting his movement.

Anyway, great fight. I'll watch. Rob is the nicest guy there is. Izzy is still a great fighter. I'm in.

He won’t take Adesanya down and if he does he won’t hold him there. Jan is massive and has good top control, he also has a phenomenal chin.

In order to get into clinch/shot range Whit will have to step in the pocket... we all know how that played out everytime he got near Adesanyas striking range.

You guys are underestimating Adesanyas speed... Whit isn’t comfortable fighting someone much faster than him, he just doesn’t see Adesanyas strikes:

giphy.gif

BrightBriskDragonfly-size_restricted.gif

CoolSnarlingAsiaticlesserfreshwaterclam-size_restricted.gif

Israel is far from unbeatable in the stand up realm. Yes he decisively won the first time and there is nothing questionable about it but this is mma and fights can go completely differently a second time around. Takedowns could definitely open things up more for Whittaker tho so agree on that part at least

Israel is far from unbeatable in the stand up realm
Exactly, Jan showed that sticking to basics, a game plan and not over extending (getting emotional and frustrated) can negate a lot of what israel brings to the table.

He (robert) showed a good jab last night and that is his key to closing the distance safely (he needs to also be told over and over to keep his damn hands up) along with feints. Some good old cage clinching will go a long way as well.

Jan dictated the fight and along with just keeping it simple and remembering that it is an mma fight and clinching and takedowns are part of the game he pretty much shutdown israel (outside of a few flurries here and there). He engaged when he wanted to and disengaged when he wanted do.

I'd love to see Rob win, but I'm not confident it goes any better than the first time.

Jan didn't have to force his way into range standing up. Also he didn't have this bouncy thing that whittaker does. It's cool and all but it's kinda unnecessary. Also his front leg, unlike whittaker's wasn't there for the kicking. Plus jan threw a lot of body and leg kicks. Will whittaker have the discipline not to head hunt?
As for the wrestling? It probably won't work in the first 2 rounds, for obvious reasons. But even if he does get him down, does he have the technique to keep him there? You'd need a rockhold for shit like that. Does he snatch his back? Seems like rob has underrated backtaking. He's done it twice in the last two fights. Idk izzy seems to be the smart bet. I just wonder what'd happen if rob survives the fight and starts making his own reads. Izzy will always be the better striker but part of his downfall was his own doing. Those blitzes didn't help shit. Wonder what happens if he blitzes more intelligently of stops it altogether. Izzy is dope, but he's not unbeatable. He's not jon jones out there.

Back