The One Landed Punch in MMA is resulting in too many upsets, Luck is playing too big a factor

I agree without one good connection on the noseof Rory Robbie would've lost to Rory and never have gotten lucky against Condit.

What sort of jackass complains about a sport being too unpredictable?
one that values skill and the best winning?
freak occurrences, flukes and the worse fighter winning all undermines the skill of the sport

with MMA you have the smaller gloves but more importantly, when a punch is landed, with the follow up, there is no chance to recover like a knockdown in boxing

I disagree, I think that MMA fighters who throw punches can't throw a punch to save their ass and when the punches land, the guys have no chins. These guys are not like boxers.

one that values skill and the best winning?
freak occurrences, flukes and the worse fighter winning all undermines the skill of the sport

That's all well and good but unpredictability is what makes the sport so good. I also don't buy this whole "fluke punch" thing either, people throw punches with the intent to knock somebody out, it's up to his opponent to block or get out of the way.

I'm not about to say any of these guys will reign long, but I don't necessarily agree with the fluke part. Luck is important to pretty much everything in life, but you can try to improve your luck.

Werdum rushed into Stipe and Stipe capitalized. Rockhold threw a shitty jab and Bisping capitalized. Alvarez had some good exchanges with RDA, defended the TD, threw the same right hook that he had been throwing, the same hook that he hit RDA with just before the one that dropped him, and then never let up. Woodley threw a right earlier in the fight that barely missed then threw a faint to the body and the same right again. He also arguably made Robbie respect his ability to use wrestling if he just moved forward willy nilly by level changing.

These guys weren't swinging wildly and had clear intentions and/or game plans. And capitalizing on a fighter's mistakes takes at least some skill imo. And neither Bisping or Stipe are bums either. Plus, Luke is known for not having the best boxing skills in the world. Mike tagged him up in the first fight before the kick. Can't recall how often Werdum bum rushes.
I can't disagree with anything you're saying. Me calling the fights potential flukes is just me saying that I don't think we know how any of those fights typically go down. Those outcomes could easily be freak occurrences. I wasn't trying to discredit the skills of any of the fighters. None of those fights showed prolongued success, leading to the eventual victory, for example as seen in fights like Cain/Cigano 2 & 3, Rousey/Holm, Wonderboy/Hendricks, Maia in one of his many grappling dominations, etc.

Yes i know if you intend to throw a punch and it lands then it's not luck but how many times can you do it out of a hundred

If i throw a dart at a dartboard and get a bullseye that i was aiming for, it's not technically luck because i aimed for it, but it is luck because i'm not skilled enough to repeat the feat as much as the professionals

Oh just stfu u retard, go get a job or something. Don't talk about stuff you don't have a clue about.

It's the reality of fighting.

It's also a freak occurrence that it's happened so much recently. Miocic, Bisping, Alvarez, and now Woodley. All 4 could be flukes for all we know. We didn't get to see any of them play out to see how their skills match up.

None of them were "flukes" per say... but all four of those finishes were cases of fighters not being as cautious as a world champion should be.

I dunno if it's because they buy their own hype, or because Zuffa has pushed the whole idea of just having wars all the time, or because Sherdog gets on a lifelong wrestler like DC for not taking his chances in a stand-up battle against Anderson F***ing Silva... but these guys treated the belt like they got it out of a cracker jack box, and that was all she wrote.

(Mind you, I give Robbie a bit of a pass... that's how he fights, and that's how he won the strap... sometimes you gottta dance with the one who brung ya.)

All fighters mentioned are experienced and have been around for years.
I agree. But that doesn't have anything to do with my post. I think you're referring to my usage of the word "fluke". If that's the case, you're unknowingly arguing semantics. Read the post I just made to see what I meant by "fluke".

That one punch is the whole point of fighting.

It's not luck if your intention is to land

Its not luck, but I think what TS is trying to say is that even Federer loses a ball or two to inferior opponents, even though he dominates the game.

To applicate this logic to mma doesnt make any sense though. I think the offensive boxing game has evolved quicker than the defensive, and we're seeing the results. Coupled with that, many of todays champs just arent that good compared to prime GSP/Anderson/Lw BJ

Oh just stfu u retard, go get a job or something. Don't talk about stuff you don't have a clue about.

He's right, though. The dartboard analogy is actually a really good one. I could beat the best darts thrower on the planet in a "first guy to score a bullseye wins" contest. Not necessarily a fluke... but it also doesn't then make me the best darts thrower on the planet.

I'm just a guy who, in the right place, at the right time, hit a bullseye.

Brawlers and less calculated fighters need to adjust their style, you will see less of them as time goes on (for better or for worse). Footwork in MMA is actually more important then in boxing because of the glove size, but the level of competition is very low (in mma) compared to boxing so you see many people get caught.

Lawler's style while fun to watch won't have a place if MMA continues to evolve, however with the low payouts and many wrestlers compared to Martial artists I am unsure if MMA will get more technical (striking) or not.

No more one punch knockouts. I got you. From now on, any time a fighter is KO'd with one punch the fight shall result in a No Contest.

I'm gonna call the commissions right now.

with MMA you have the smaller gloves but more importantly, when a punch is landed, with the follow up, there is no chance to recover like a knockdown in boxing

That;s all good and well, but it is resulting in way too many upsets

Fighters are the top are all very skilled nowadays, there are no muppets

Anyone can land that one strike

Imagine if tennis matches were won by one great point won by the lesser player or one touchdown in the NFL or one basket in the NBA

I don't mind upsets in sport, its good for the sport but in MMA there are too many and they just do not feel earned

If someone outside the Top 10 beats Federer or Murray in a grand slam over 5 sets they have definitely earnt it

Change sport then

This bad logic again. Can always count on you to give shallow responses.

There are many things one attempts to do and succeeds which would be called luck. Is hitting a hole in one luck? Winning the lottery? It was the person's intention to do such things. Is a full court shot at the buzzer luck?

Think.

You cannot possible compare some person buying a lottery ticket to a fighter who has trained for months. Winning the lottery requires no skill but knocking out an elite mma fighter does.

MmA is extremely volatile

Thats why defending a belt is so important

Any one can win but defending is the true sign of greatness

Shitty gameplans are usually much bigger problem for champions than their striking defence.

Back