The One Landed Punch in MMA is resulting in too many upsets, Luck is playing too big a factor

Dessyboy

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
with MMA you have the smaller gloves but more importantly, when a punch is landed, with the follow up, there is no chance to recover like a knockdown in boxing

That;s all good and well, but it is resulting in way too many upsets

Fighters are the top are all very skilled nowadays, there are no muppets

Anyone can land that one strike

Imagine if tennis matches were won by one great point won by the lesser player or one touchdown in the NFL or one basket in the NBA

I don't mind upsets in sport, its good for the sport but in MMA there are too many and they just do not feel earned

If someone outside the Top 10 beats Federer or Murray in a grand slam over 5 sets they have definitely earnt it

It's not luck if your intention is to land

MMA is inherently more based on luck because fighters don't compete as much as other sports, just the way it has to be or these guy would die three years after they debut.

Its not luck. Its fighters not having good striking defense.

What he said
giphy.gif

You mean shitty boxing is the cause of upsets. Fucking Matt brown with his hands down.

It's not luck. It's the human body. Hit some one in the face at the right spot hard enough and they go night night. Doesn't matter about skill, doesn't matter about anything else. If you don't want to get knocked out don't get clean shots to the jaw

It's the reality of fighting.

It's also a freak occurrence that it's happened so much recently. Miocic, Bisping, Alvarez, and now Woodley. All 4 could be flukes for all we know. We didn't get to see any of them play out to see how their skills match up.

Yes i know if you intend to throw a punch and it lands then it's not luck but how many times can you do it out of a hundred

If i throw a dart at a dartboard and get a bullseye that i was aiming for, it's not technically luck because i aimed for it, but it is luck because i'm not skilled enough to repeat the feat as much as the professionals

This bad logic again. Can always count on you to give shallow responses.

There are many things one attempts to do and succeeds which would be called luck. Is hitting a hole in one luck? Winning the lottery? It was the person's intention to do such things. Is a full court shot at the buzzer luck?

Think.

Do what I do watch the smaller guys. They cant hurt each other as much and move faster too. Seems like skill trumps luck more so. I hate HW. Obviously any HW can destroy the little guys but it's a total crap shoot among themselves.

This logic has always been flawed.

I don't even think Woodley was lucky but this intent thing never made sense.

A hole in one requires luck. A golfer's intent is to do it every time but it next to never happens statistically.

What do you propose as a solution to this "problem" then?

Yes, we should book fighters to not punch the head. Patterson, get in here.
-X0t_VTF.jpg

Woodley a landed a right, before the finishing shot as well. Lawler reacted well to that, but the cobwebs wouldn't have cleared in time.

Woodley has crazy power, and he loads up on every punch he throws.

Like how Shane Carwin landed 11 1st round knockouts in a row.

What the f**k, I hope you're not referring to the WW title fight. That wasn't luck.

Back