The ONE Championship Deal with Turner Sports

JayPettryMMA

Danger Zone Aficionado
Staff member
Forum Administrator
Reaction score
Ever since the Turner deal with One Championship was announced, I've been struggling with something. ONE will be putting on taped re-airs of some (12) events on TNT coupled with shows like One Countdown and a reality show. The fight night tape delayed broadcasts will be one hour long. How does that pay off?

The pre-fight show will be as long as the broadcast itself. And these events are lengthy, averaging 11 or so fights, so unless they make it a clip show fans won't be seeing anywhere near the full picture. It feels more like it would be One Reloaded than actual fight nights, which...what's the point?

Yes, there will be the potential for exposure on an American cable network, but unless they really hammer advertising about it (I have yet to see anything anywhere) how will the public know? The first event of 2019 for One is in two days, and looking through the upcoming TNT schedule, there is no One to be seen up to February 1st. It's just basketball, reruns of Charmed/NCIS/Supernatural, the same rotation of movies like The Accountant over and over, and a Star Wars and a Hunger Games marathon.

Am I missing something? BR Live isn't making anyone pay to see the events in January, which tells me they may be just testing the water to see how many people tune in, before they can get a gauge on how much to charge. The lack of answers or any information whatsoever from One is surprising given that this broadcasting deal is in effect this week.

Ever since the Turner deal with One Championship was announced, I've been struggling with something. ONE will be putting on taped re-airs of some (12) events on TNT coupled with shows like One Countdown and a reality show. The fight night tape delayed broadcasts will be one hour long. How does that pay off?

The pre-fight show will be as long as the broadcast itself. And these events are lengthy, averaging 11 or so fights, so unless they make it a clip show fans won't be seeing anywhere near the full picture. It feels more like it would be One Reloaded than actual fight nights, which...what's the point?

Yes, there will be the potential for exposure on an American cable network, but unless they really hammer advertising about it (I have yet to see anything anywhere) how will the public know? The first event of 2019 for One is in two days, and looking through the upcoming TNT schedule, there is no One to be seen up to February 1st. It's just basketball, reruns of Charmed/NCIS/Supernatural, the same rotation of movies like The Accountant over and over, and a Star Wars and a Hunger Games marathon.

Am I missing something? BR Live isn't making anyone pay to see the events in January, which tells me they may be just testing the water to see how many people tune in, before they can get a gauge on how much to charge. The lack of answers or any information whatsoever from One is surprising given that this broadcasting deal is in effect this week.

It looks like nowadays a lot of TV networks love MMA because of its quantity that can fill their empty spots.
So they buy it, no matter the quality. And MMA gets money from it.

They don't even care/care less for public exposure....

Your guess is as good as mine what this Tuner Sports deal is all about and how it works.

Its a mess and if someone has it all figured out on how it will work I'd love to know.

P.S.: This is like the crazy weird deal a media outlet would've signed in like 1994 to see what this MMA thing is all about.

Back