The Oldest Lineal Belt (Sept 8, 1990)

You forgot the WWWF World Martial Arts belt that was given to Mark Coleman from Antonio Inoki after his defeat of Alan Goes. That was the title presented to him some time after his match with Muhhamed Ali in their mixed fight match (circa 1976).

Yeah maybe we should also track some Kimura or Helio Gracie belt, that would be awesome

ALAN PARTRIDGE sent me here...

Wait, explain the "Belts" some more. Open Weight? Why the 2nd belt?

Following a 2nd lineal belt line is dumb.

It's like following Tito Ortiz' 2nd tier UFC LHW title. Who cares.

Yeah maybe we should also track some Kimura or Helio Gracie belt, that would be awesome

We're talking heavyweights.

Weight class aside, I don't recall there being a title involved with either one.

ALAN PARTRIDGE sent me here...

Wait, explain the "Belts" some more. Open Weight? Why the 2nd belt?

Okay, to answer you first question "Open weight?"

1. Well...kind of. It's lineal. That means rather than following officially sanctioned title defenses, you just follow if every fight had in fact been a fight for the belt, whom would have gotten the belt next. So if some fighter moves up in weight or fights a higher weight class individual and loses, then yes, the belt can move across weight classes.

2. Why the 2nd belt?

My goal was to find the oldest lineal belt still in the game. The first shooto belt was retired. In otherwords, the last guy to have it retired without defending it. The second shooto belt was never retired so it still exists lineally.

Back