The Old Testament was found to be more than twice as violent as the Quran

New Atheists don't get off as hard on bashing the Quran and its adherents as they do the Bible and Christians.

So they use misleading analysis like this "study" to promote the idea that the Bible is the more "dangerous" holy text. Then their overwhelming concentration on debunking and belittling the Bible doesn't seem so disproportionate and prejudicial.

I'd like to see their methods. Saying it "mentions" violence is vague. For example, what if 99% of cases of violence in the NT are presented as negative? For example, something like "And then so and so killed so and so, which was a sin," versus most cases of violence in the Quran being praised, like "And then Allah smote the nonbelievers and it was good."

EDIT: Upon reading a little more, it looks like a completely useless, superficial analysis. Just looked for words but not for context. What I wrote above could certainly be the case then, in which case labeling the NT as "more violent" is obfuscatory.

I knew this was the case as soon as I clicked on the thread

What an utterly retarded methodology for analysis. I won't even bother destroying it as anyone stupid enough not to see the massive flaw in it is to stupid to bother educating.

j2.jpg

m2.jpg

This makes a good case for the Islamic takeover of Europe! It's amazing the Christians even held them off all those centuries.

Islam has a hell though and other sick beliefs as does Christianity. Can't say the same for Judaism at best you can find some rabbis saying supremacist stuff but that's it.
This makes a good case for the Islamic takeover of Europe! It's amazing the Christians even held them off all those centuries.

Lol it does. Once upon a time practically the entire Iberian peninsula was under Muslim rule!! As was the current Balkan states. Heck Islamic rule touched down all the way to Budapest!! Where today proud patriot Viktor Orban is fighting off hordes of individuals who wish to change his country. There was even Muslim activity in Ukraine

THIS...all...day...long.

It's only a religion of peace if you fail to follow its commands to a tee!

Islam = submission. In theory if everyone submits then there would be peace, but then we look at the Sunni Shia fighting and that proves in reality that isn't the case.

It is a fairly useless analysis because the author (a software engineer) has no knowledge whatsoever of the terminology that the texts are using, nor their context. He's running a program on English translations.

For example, it is true that the Qur'an ceaseless calls Allah "merciful" (literally "Rahman"). But why? Mercy implies *guilt*, that he was going to smash you, but has (like a good tyrant) decided to be kind. Allah, in the Qur'an, is barely restraining himself from annihilating everybody with hellfire. That's why he is merciful. You are guilty, and you should pay, but Allah shall forgive you and extend you his mercy. Here, for example, are all the uses of terms in the Qur'an equivalent to 'mercy':

http://corpus.quran.com/search.jsp?t=1&q=mercy

Just look at 'em.

"Indeed, those who have believed and those who have emigrated and fought in the cause of Allah - those expect the mercy of Allah. And Allah is Forgiving and Merciful."

Another simple example:

And obey Allah and the Messenger that you may obtain mercy.

Now, one could say this is pleasant, or one could actually look at these references and say holy fuck, why is Allah constantly talking about how he shall be merciful and forgiving to those who obey him? And why is he merciful to believing jihadis who have fought for Allah? It's all about divine punishment, and its avoidance by submission to God's will. None of this can be resolved by simply taking the word 'merciful' and assuming it means something like 'loving,' when in context it normally means that Allah mercifully forgives the submitting believers of their sins .... unlike the non-believers, who he will smash for their disobedience and sentence to eternal hellfire. They get no mercy.

Likewise, the New Testament certainly talks a lot about killing ... but it condemns it. To take numerical frequency of such references as meaning that the text is 'violent' is a logical fallacy equivalent to taking an anti-war protestor to be pro-war because they talk about war so much. It is, I suppose, superficially true that anti-war protestors talk about violence a lot, using words like 'war' and 'killing'. Does that mean they are super-violent? Only if you are profoundly confused.

Saw this article today and thought to myself Zankou is going to have a field day with this.

I don't see how you can statistically count the violence since it's the level of violence that counts, much like how many white lies are less worse than a big lie (like the Iraq war).

Soooo..... apparently context doesn't matter...

Back