The Official SBC amateur boxing thread.

He's competing for a changing Cuba in the Super Heavyweight division.

He grabbed the title in that division at the 2007 Pan America games (he knocked Nogueira out of the semifinals), and I think he shouldn't have much difficulty taking the gold medal in Beijing.

Watch out for a rematch with Algerian Newfel Ouatah from the 2004 World Juniors.

Also to watch for in the SHW division :
*Jose Payares (VEN), Silver Medal 2007 Pan Ams
*Vyacheslav Glazkov (UKR), Has wins over three others in the bracket

He didn't knock Nog out, he just raped him on points. He knocked him out of the tournament.

gotcha. being able to ko Nog with headgear and big gloves has got to be near impossible.

"Middleweight Shawn Estrada will lead the U.S. team into competition Saturday."

U.S.A FTW!

Gary Russel Jr. is out. Passed out and taken to the hospital with dehydration.

Middle weights and light heavies are on tonight from 11pm - Midnight on West Coast Time.

He's competing for a changing Cuba in the Super Heavyweight division.

He grabbed the title in that division at the 2007 Pan America games (he knocked Nogueira out of the semifinals), and I think he shouldn't have much difficulty taking the gold medal in Beijing.

Watch out for a rematch with Algerian Newfel Ouatah from the 2004 World Juniors.

Also to watch for in the SHW division :
*Jose Payares (VEN), Silver Medal 2007 Pan Ams
*Vyacheslav Glazkov (UKR), Has wins over three others in the bracket

Here's the bracket for the super heavies;

Vyacheslav Glazkov
Robert Alfonso

Newfel Ouatah
Jose Payares

Mohamed Amanissi
Zhilei Zhang

Dan Beahan
Ruslan Myrsatayev

---

Roberto Cammarelle
Marko Tomasovic

Kubrat Pulev
Oscar Rivas

Islam Timurziev
David Price

Ehwarieme Onorioqe
Jaroslav Jaksto

To be honest, I don't think Alfonso is making out of the first round of the tournament, as I'd put him as a slight underdog against Glazkov, who has faired better against common opponents like Rivas (Alfonso is like 2 and 1 versus him and lost to him most recently, whereas Glazkov handled him 23-7 or thereabouts), and who also holds a previous win over Alfonso earlier this year albeit it was close (15-13, I think). If he does get by Glazkov, though, it almost looks like he has a trip straight to the finals because all of the other (and main) favourites are on the bottom half of the bracket.

Once again, Kubrat Pulev (who's beaten half these guys, including Alfonso 20-9) has got a tough, tough draw. He should get by Rivas in the first round, and I would expect him too, but Rivas has been fighting well lately if going on the results this year. After that, though, Pulev would have to take on Cammarelle, who's the one guy out of the bunch who seems to have Pulev's number.

Anyways, looking at the bracket, I think we'll see the following medals handed out;

G - Timurziev
S - Glazkov
B - Cammarelle
B - Zhilei

Any wonder how Zhilei got the easiest friggin draw to the semis? :icon_conf

Sharkey, how are you able to follow the amateur ranks so closely? They are rarely on TV. I have a tough enough time keeping limited track of the top amateurs in my city alone.

A few different places, Chatz, but this site here is probably the main one I go to, which is chalk full of amateur results;

http://amateur-boxing.strefa.pl/

I also use this site amongst others, since I got to go to the '07 World Championships I've been a bit of a glutton for ammy info.

Although it sucked the Cuban contingent wasn't there it helped get me even more psyched for the Olympics to see some of the matchups missed last year.

EDIT: In addition to the draw Zhang Zileil got just look at Zou Shimings' path to the finals...
he was a pretty huge favorite before this, but with Tanamor, Ayrapetan, Yanez and Dostiev all on the other half he must have had a lot of "luck" on his side.

Glazkov/Alfonso should be a classic.

It should be a close one.

I still can't believe the draw Pulev got, though, as I figured him to be the #3 guy going into these Games behind Timurziev & Cammarelle. I was also touting him as a potential darkhorse to win gold (or at least get to the finals), but always included disclaimer stating that he'd have to be in the opposite draw of Cammarelle to do so. He may be able to beat him this time out, but past results suggest that that is a difficult task for him, as Cammarelle has beat him at least twice so far.

Put him in the upper draw, and he goes on to the finals, I feel, as he has beaten the three main medal favourites up there in the past and fairly clearly at that (Zhilei fought him the closest and that was still 15-6...Alfonso and Glazkov twice couldn't come within ten points of Pulev when they faced him).

http://www.aiba.org/documents/site1/Olympics/2008 Olympic Games/91kg.pdf

Here's the draw for the HW's (91 kg) division.

Just quickly glancing at it it looks like Osmay Acosta has an easy road to the semi's in the top, as does Chakhkeiv.

I think the bottom side is much tougher with Russo and Zuyeu facing off in the first round, and despite the easy roads Chinese fighters have got in other draws this one did Nijiati no favors as he'd have to fight the winner of that to get to the semis.

For USA fans I think Deontay Wilder has an easy road to the semis to medal, but no further, at least he wouldn't have to worry about getting thwacked by Acosta again, until the finals.

My prediction is G - Osmay Acosta (Cuba)

S- Clemente Russo (Italy)
B- Ruslan Chakhkeiv (Russia)
B- Deontay Wilder (USA)

Saw Julian Jacksons son today, Julius Jackson. The Hawk was in his corner but he got outpointed by an Irish southpaw. He kept headhunting too much with right hand leads and got picked off.

The olympic poinbt scoring is weird...3/5 judges have to mark it as a scoring blow within a second of each other. I could have swore I saw a lot more scoring blows than they were getting credit for. I dont think I have seen them credit a shot to the body as a scoring blow once yet.

I watch the fight trying to avoid looking at the score where i form my own judgement. Thats where i realize the difference between the pros and the amateurs.
Pros always have at least one judge smoking crack.
Amateurs have at least three judges smoking crack. Its so fucked.

I watch the fight trying to avoid looking at the score where i form my own judgement. Thats where i realize the difference between the pros and the amateurs.
Pros always have at least one judge smoking crack.
Amateurs have at least three judges smoking crack. Its so fucked.

Could not have said it better myself.

Saw Julian Jacksons son today, Julius Jackson. The Hawk was in his corner but he got outpointed by an Irish southpaw. He kept headhunting too much with right hand leads and got picked off.

The Jacksons were never technically sound but Julian had wrecking balls for fists, is it like father like son? Or do we have to wait till he turns pro? I sure hope so...

YouTube - Julian Jackson Highlight

Back