The Official SBC amateur boxing thread.

I think it had to do with the whole Darfur thing or some other Political agenda.

I think it had to do with the whole Darfur thing or some other Political agenda.

gotcha. apparently this U.S coach almost booted two other guys off the team for missing practices.

Sounds like Camp Chaos but we'll just wait and see.

For those of you following the Luis Yanez story.

He's off the team and the U.S will travel 8 boxers, which I believe is the lowest number ever for the U.S squad.

Look at the bright side, Five, your country sending eight fighters over is a helluva lot better than us up here in Canada only sending one over (Adam Trupish, who's realistically not much of a hope for medalling, I don't believe).

While Canada has a fairly strong presence in the pros nowadays with Quebec being strong, the drop off in producing quality international amateurs over the last 20 to 25 years from this country is nothing but fucking sad, as well as embarassing.

Yea your right...its just my realization that medals from our boxing team are going to be harder to achieve now. i'm basically bitching because thats what i do best.

Olympic boxing is like baseball to me...once the game itself changed i found myself drifting away from all of the surrounding elements but still focused on my favorite team.

Any Super Heavyweight predictions?

The writer for Sports Illustrated is predicting: Robert Alfonso (G), Roberto Cammarelle (S), Islam Timurziev (B), and Zhang Zhilei (B).

Meh, I don't know.

I've sorta been following the results of that division since the Pan Am Games last year (and seeing what I can on YouTube), and I think the gold will come down to Timurziev (if he stays healthy) and Cammarelle, with the veteran, Kubrat Pulev also in the hunt as one of the medalist. Depending on the draw, either Glazkov or Alfonso taking the other bronze medal.

Any Super Heavyweight predictions?

The writer for Sports Illustrated is predicting: Robert Alfonso (G), Roberto Cammarelle (S), Islam Timurziev (B), and Zhang Zhilei (B).

Meh, I don't know.

I've sorta been following the results of that division since the Pan Am Games last year (and seeing what I can on YouTube), and I think the gold will come down to Timurziev (if he stays healthy) and Cammarelle, with the veteran, Kubrat Pulev also in the hunt as one of the medalist. Depending on the draw, either Glazkov or Alfonso taking the other bronze medal.

Roberto Cammarelle is certainly the great hope of the italian team.
And what about the HW? Hope Russo takes G

And what about the HW? Hope Russo takes G

I think Russo would have to be one of the two or three favourites for gold at heavy, as from my understanding, there's not as much depth in that weight class this year when compared to super heavyweight, which has a good seven or eight guys with real medal possibilities. Russo, Chakhiev, Acosta, maybe Wilder(?)...I'd be completely shocked if Russo doesn't at least medal, and a gold is entirely possible for him.

what a shame he was easy gb best chance at gold in boxing , he looked really good when he won the world championshipss beating that russian can't think of his name .

look like he'll be moving to the pro#s very soon

British gold medal prospect Frankie Gavin has pulled out of the Olympic Games having failed to make his weight.

The lightweight world amateur champion is now flying home from the Team GB training camp in Macau.

Gavin, 23, would have needed to weigh in at 60kg (9st 6lb) on every day he competed in Beijing but was 3lb (1.36kg) over that mark on Thursday.

British former Olympic medallist Richie Woodhall questioned team planning, describing it as a "total let-down".

Southpaw Gavin had beaten every major competitor in his Olympic class after becoming the first Briton to win an amateur world title in Chicago last year.

But with one of Britain's brightest boxing medal hopes now suddenly not able to compete in Beijing, Gavin's preparations and the team's decision to enter him in that category will be scrutinised.

GB boxing coach Terry Edwards refuses to apportion blame

"Regrettably it is clear that Frankie will not make his weight before tomorrow morning's weigh-in," admitted head coach Terry Edwards on Thursday.

"Frankie has been working his whole boxing career towards the Olympic Games and he is obviously completely devastated.

"He gave 110% but it is the last bit, where you have to shed the water, that is crucial.

"In the end there was nothing left to come off and at that stage I took the responsibility of withdrawing him.

"I didn't want Frankie to suffer any ill-effects to his health from being that dehydrated."

Woodhall, who won light-middleweight (71kg) bronze at Seoul 1988, told BBC Sport he could not accept a boxer failing to make the weight for an Olympic event.

"There's that many people - nutritionists, physiotherapists - involved these days that are paid good money," said Woodhall.

"It's been a total let-down by everyone. Making the weight is just not an issue - you make the weight."

Edwards felt Gavin had done everything he could to make his weight.

"He was determined to go ahead and give it his best shot, which I think he did," Edwards told BBC Radio 5 Live.

"That determination and attitude shows that, in my opinion, Frankie hasn't failed. I think he is a tremendous talent and he will come back from this.

Woodhall critical of boxer Gavin

"It was my decision. Frankie did everything I asked him to do and maybe a little bit more and in the end I decided he had done enough and I called it a day.

"It was one of the hardest decisions I have made in my boxing career. I made it for the right reasons, to protect the health and safety of one of my boxers. There was no argument."

Gavin, from Birmingham, was supremely confident ahead of Beijing, telling BBC Sport: "I should win [at] the Olympics."

But BBC boxing commentator Mike Costello said he had struggled to make the weight all year.

"For the first time in his life he has been training like a professional not an amateur, and he has been getting bigger as a result and fighting a running battle with his weight."

Costello said Gavin was not able to step up to the heavier class because fellow British boxing team-mate Bradley Saunders had already qualified in the light-welterweight.

"At the Olympics, the boxers have to make the weight every day they box," said Costello.

"Even if he had made the first weigh-in he might have struggled afterwards. Dehydration might have become a real problem."

Tommy Chaney, Gavin's amateur coach at the Hall Green boxing club in Birmingham, said Gavin's predicament should not be allowed to affect the rest of the British team.

"Frankie feels like his world has fallen in," said Chaney.

BBC OLYMPICS BLOG
All that is certain is a young man will be flying home now with a bag full of regrets rather than the gold medal many thought was his for the taking

BBC Sport's Matt Slater
"It's important now that the attention is shifted to the remaining seven boxers who all have a fantastic chance to medal.

"That's what Frankie wants and he'll be watching avidly on the television despite how upset he is right now."

Gavin must now decide if he is to remain an amateur until the London Olympics in 2012, or turn professional - as he was already expected to do following Beijing.

Team GB chief Simon Clegg, confirming Gavin's departure from the squad, said: "It is always regretful when an athlete who has qualified for the Olympic Games is unable to compete.

"The BOA's focus is now to support its remaining 312 Team GB athletes who begin competing this Saturday."
support its remaining 312 Team GB athletes who begin competing this Saturday."

That is too bad, the Russian he beat at the World Championships was Aleksei Tishchenko, who took gold at Athens. I was actually in Chicago when that took place and it was a semi-big deal since Tishchenko hadn't lost in forever, and both were favored to medal in Beijing.

A day to lose 3 lbs, and they leave Beijing?

That doesn't smell right to me.

he'd have to keep the weight of for pretty much the whole tournament tho wouldnt he#

if he was having so much trouble makin the weight throughout the year surely they should of known with him training constanly for the olympics his muscle mass and frame would increase

someones to blame for this and i dont think its gavin

they showed him on the news at the airport, poor lad was cryin his eyes out

Wow, that sucks. They're down to 8 members now with really only 2 favorites to high medal.

British gold medal prospect Frankie Gavin has pulled out of the Olympic Games having failed to make his weight.
Too bad! Domenico Valentino should have avenge his loss to Gavin at the World Championship!!

Back