The Official LOW-CARB Recipe Thread:

If only my lady wasn't allergic to sugar cane. Well, technically cane sugar...but I'd bet on it being the whole plant.

It's available this website now.

Pretty expensive. About $30 to get 500g delivered. I'll probably do an order in a few weeks.

NutriKane

Does plain old steamed white rice have gluten? If so, should I cut it out when I go low-carb? Or just make sure I consume no more than 25g of carbs? I think I just answered my question?

Sugar Free Gummy Worms

3 envelopes unflavored gelatin
2 packages sugar-free jello, any flavors
1 cup boiling water
1 package Kool-Aid, any flavor (optional)

Combine all ingredients until dissolved.
Pour into an 8x8 pan, lightly sprayed.
Refrigerate until firm.
Cut into"worm-like" strips

***the koolaid makes them sour, leave it out if you only want them sweet.

Nutrition Facts
Serving Size 1 worms 93g

Recipe makes 20 worms)

Calories 6
Calories from Fat 0 (0%)
Amount Per Serving %DV
Total Fat 0.0g 0%
Saturated Fat 0.0g 0%
Monounsaturated Fat 0.0g
Polyunsaturated Fat 0.0g
Trans Fat 0.0g
Cholesterol 0mg 0%
Sodium 29mg 1%
Potassium 20mg 0%
Total Carbohydrate 0.3g 0%
Dietary Fiber 0.0g 0%
Sugars 0.0g
Protein 1.5g 2%

Sugar Free Gummy Worms - Low Carb Friends

for the peeps with the sweet tooth. havent tried them yet, but i may this weekend.

Oh my word, dieting for a fight sweet tooth right here. You know these are gonna be made! Is gelatine easy to come by? Never noticed it in a regular supermarket but then again I've never looked for it.

Does plain old steamed white rice have gluten? If so, should I cut it out when I go low-carb? Or just make sure I consume no more than 25g of carbs? I think I just answered my question?

There are rice alternatives that are low carb, but I've never tried any of them.

Here's a couple:
http://www.amazon.com/Miracle-Noodl...SAJS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1321517755&sr=8-1

TVP (Textured Veg. Protein) - Bob's Red Mill

Like I said, haven't tried either, so YMMV. And here's a link to the second one for recipes:
Pork Fried (TVP) "Rice" - Low Carb Friends

Oh my word, dieting for a fight sweet tooth right here. You know these are gonna be made! Is gelatine easy to come by? Never noticed it in a regular supermarket but then again I've never looked for it.

It should be, if you can't find it in a regular market you should be able to find it at a bakery supply store.

It should be, if you can't find it in a regular market you should be able to find it at a bakery supply store.

Hey Sinister....I posted on the last page about sugar alcohols and how they're hydrogenated. I was hoping you'd see that and comment on it. I don't really know anything about the hydrogenation process here, but I know with fat, we consider it "bad." Some other keto-ers aren't very keen on sugar alcohols in general, but I was led to believe that they don't really induce an insulin response for the most part and are generally considered "safe". Do you have any input regarding that topic?

As always the answer is somewhere in between the two ends of the extreme thought processes. They don't have ZERO insulin response, but the insulin response they have is pretty negligible. And they're self-regulating for overconsumption with that whole laxative effect thing.

That said, we use xylitol in our home-made ice cream that's more creamy than sweet. And I'm willing to hurt people over that stuff. So its invaluable as far as I, personally, am concerned.

Sugar Free Gummy Worms

3 envelopes unflavored gelatin
2 packages sugar-free jello, any flavors
1 cup boiling water
1 package Kool-Aid, any flavor (optional)

Combine all ingredients until dissolved.
Pour into an 8x8 pan, lightly sprayed.
Refrigerate until firm.
Cut into"worm-like" strips

***the koolaid makes them sour, leave it out if you only want them sweet.

Nutrition Facts
Serving Size 1 worms 93g

Recipe makes 20 worms)

Calories 6
Calories from Fat 0 (0%)
Amount Per Serving %DV
Total Fat 0.0g 0%
Saturated Fat 0.0g 0%
Monounsaturated Fat 0.0g
Polyunsaturated Fat 0.0g
Trans Fat 0.0g
Cholesterol 0mg 0%
Sodium 29mg 1%
Potassium 20mg 0%
Total Carbohydrate 0.3g 0%
Dietary Fiber 0.0g 0%
Sugars 0.0g
Protein 1.5g 2%

Sugar Free Gummy Worms - Low Carb Friends

for the peeps with the sweet tooth. havent tried them yet, but i may this weekend.

Made some, they were pretty tasty and good to know you were basically consuming no calories.

313088_10150483395049458_512674457_10722187_1771711482_n.jpg

It did mean I ate two sachets of jelly(o) in one sitting though.

As always the answer is somewhere in between the two ends of the extreme thought processes. They don't have ZERO insulin response, but the insulin response they have is pretty negligible. And they're self-regulating for overconsumption with that whole laxative effect thing.

That said, we use xylitol in our home-made ice cream that's more creamy than sweet. And I'm willing to hurt people over that stuff. So its invaluable as far as I, personally, am concerned.

I think you misread my question, unless I'm misunderstanding your response.

I realize that these things don't have a significant insulin response (for most people), but that wasn't my question....I'm, more specifically, asking about the process of hydrogenation that makes these sugar alcohols. We know that it's a process that results in unhealthy fat, but is the effect similar to sugar alcohols, where they essentially become "bad" or "unhealthy" for you in similar manners?

Oh, then allow me to simplify my answer:

Nah.

Oh, then allow me to simplify my answer:

Nah.

:icon_lol:

I guess I don't understand what it is about the process that makes it "bad" with fat, then. It's hard researching that stuff sometimes, as you'll find plenty of sources that say that is is bad, but not necessarily why it's bad.

I saw someone mention hydrogenation with sugar alcohols and I was caught off guard by it.

"The hydrolyzed starch (dextrin) then undergoes hydrogenation to convert the dextrins to sugar alcohols." (from wikipage here: Hydrogenated starch hydrosylate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia).

I guess that puts your answer in some perspective now.

I always get asked how to get more fat intake, because it's difficult for some people to envision a meal moderate in protein, high in fat, and low on the carbs. But here's a good one featuring two of the world's best things, eggs and bacon fat:

Eggs En Cocotte with Bacon Fat

Serves 4

4 small slices bacon fat

4 tablespoons heavy cream

4 eggs

2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese, freshly grated

Preheat the oven to 350

Holy. Hell.
Just found this on the net. So simple yet so life changing.

Eggs IN Avocados

1 Avocado

2 Eggs

Heat a non-stick skillet to medium low heat. Lightly spray with oil. Slice an avocado with the skin ON lengthwise, forming one thick slice in the middle. Remove the seed and use a small cookie cutter to make a hole in the center of your thick slice. Place the avocado slice in the pan. Crack a medium sized egg into the center of the hole. Cover and cook for a minute or tow, until the egg is as you like it. Season with salt and pepper and serve.

I would drink this out of a glass if it didn't make me feel like such a fatty.

Bacon Vinaigrette
Yield: 1/4 cup salad dressing

Ingredients:

4 slices bacon
1 shallot, diced
2 – 3 cloves garlic, minced
3 Tbsp red wine vinegar
salt and pepper, to taste

Method:

In a small pan, cook 4 slices bacon until crisp, then remove and set aside (use this bacon to top your salad or just eat it).
Over medium heat in the bacon fat, sautee 1 shallot, diced until transparent, about 2 – 3 minutes.
Add 2 – 3 cloves garlic, minced and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
Deglaze the pan with 3 Tbsp red wine vinegar, scraping up any brown bits.
Remove the pan from heat, and add salt and pepper, to taste.

1/2 cup finely ground almonds
1/4 tsp. baking soda
1/2 cup freshly grated cheese of preference
1 tbsp. olive oil
1 tbsp. egg white

Preheat oven to 350 F

Grate 1/2 cup cheese

In a medium-sized bowl combine almond flour, baking soda and cheese.

In measuring cup whisk together the egg and oil. Pour the egg mixture into the dry ingredients and stir until well-combined.

Cut two pieces of parchment paper the size of your baking sheet.

Put one piece of parchment on baking sheet , then place teaspoonfuls of dough on the parchment about 1

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NiTrok
Back