Social The Obama Phone Comes Pre-loaded with Malware the User Can't Uninstall

Ok boomer
About the level of defense I expected about your stupid comment. "OMG, I will die if I can't text ! Oh no, I might have to get off my lazy ass and do something in person! Gubment owes me a phone and internet access!"
{<jordan}

About the level of defense I expected about your stupid comment. "OMG, I will die if I can't text ! Oh no, I might have to get off my lazy ass and do something in person! Gubment owes me a phone and internet access!"
{<jordan}

You sound like you haven't applied for a job in about 30 years.

Peak boomer mentality. Full retard too.

You sound like you haven't applied for a job in about 30 years.

Peak boomer mentality. Full retard too.
I'll take my do for myself mentality over a ridiculous excuse of a person like you who can't leave the house.

I'll take my do for myself mentality over a ridiculous excuse of a person like you who can't leave the house.

So that's a no.

{<jordan}

It's 2020 old man, the internet is interwoven into the fabric of society now. If you think you'd "do it yourself" into getting a job at my organization, we'd tell your old ass to apply online and then roast you in the ATS comments.

Everything is online meow dude. It's not like ye olden days where you could just walk into a place and get a job. I'm sure there's outliers to be found but for the most part that's not how it works these days

Everything is online meow dude. It's not like ye olden days where you could just walk into a place and get a job. I'm sure there's outliers to be found but for the most part that's not how it works these days
BS. So what you're telling me is that if someone doesn't buy me a cell phone, my only recourse is to find a dirty corner to die in? What nonsense. Most small businesses are still using paper applications. There are other places to work than McDonald's or Walmart.

BS. So what you're telling me is that if someone doesn't buy me a cell phone, my only recourse is to find a dirty corner to die in? What nonsense. Most small businesses are still using paper applications. There are other places to work than McDonald's or Walmart.
I didn't say that, it'll help the conversation if you don't project your assertions onto my statements.

Most? I don't have raw data to look at but I highly doubt that.

And yeah, a phone and internet access are a must for most jobs. At the bare minimum you're significantly decreasing your chances of employment without those two things. Even if you find a job that still has paper applications you still need a phone, minimum, and if you wanna give yourself a fighting chance, at least access to a library to design a resume and fill out online applications.

Regardless, to the point, all that matters is that you're significantly decreasing your odds of finding a job without a phone and the internet, as there's a whole lot of jobs that can only be applied to online. To disagree with that in 2020 is asinine.

I didn't say that, it'll help the conversation if you don't project your assertions onto my statements.

Most? I don't have raw data to look at but I highly doubt that.

And yeah, a phone and internet access are a must for most jobs. At the bare minimum you're significantly decreasing your chances of employment without those two things. Even if you find a job that still has paper applications you still need a phone, minimum, and if you wanna give yourself a fighting chance, at least access to a library to design a resume and fill out online applications.

Regardless, to the point, all that matters is that you're significantly decreasing your odds of finding a job without a phone and the internet, as there's a whole lot of jobs that can only be applied to online. To disagree with that in 2020 is asinine.
There are plenty of resources for employment for even the most desperate situation. Everyone is allowed in a library, they are open to the public. There are also agencies that offer placement and training. You're not going to forfeit your life if you don't have a cell phone.

There are plenty of resources for employment for even the most desperate situation. Everyone is allowed in a library, they are open to the public. There are also agencies that offer placement and training. You're not going to forfeit your life if you don't have a cell phone.
I know there's resources for employment/training and libraries, that's part of why I mentioned libraries, the places for placement and training aren't directly relevant to the discussion, we're speaking more so about the communication aspect. I didn't say you "forfeit your life", I explained it very clearly.

Cell phones are a valuable resource for acquiring a job.

I know there's resources for employment/training and libraries, that's part of why I mentioned libraries, the places for placement and training aren't directly relevant to the discussion, we're speaking more so about the communication aspect. I didn't say you "forfeit your life", I explained it very clearly.

Cell phones are a valuable resource for acquiring a job.
But not having one doesn't mean you can't do it. No different than a car. Would you support buying welfare recipients cars?

But not having one doesn't mean you can't do it. No different than a car. Would you support buying welfare recipients cars?
Not having one makes attaining employment much more difficult. I could eat without grocery stores but they make the process a lot easier.

It's much different than not owning a car.

Not having one makes attaining employment much more difficult. I could eat without grocery stores but they make the process a lot easier.

It's much different than not owning a car.
er.... Its 10000X more difficult to hold a job with no transportation. Come on now.

I thought the welfare phones were just like a flip phone or something. I didn't realize they were smart phones. That's pretty sweet for those in need I guess.

Do they even make flip phones anymore? I’ll buy one. I’m tired of all of you following me around everywhere I go.

er.... Its 10000X more difficult to hold a job with no transportation. Come on now.
Entirely dependent on where you live, and we're also not talking about holding a job but attaining one. That's not even a goal post shift, that's changing the subject.

You could car pool, use Uber, Lyft, taxis, bicycles, buses, or trains. Unless you live rural those are feasible in many places though yes, not having a car can be problematic, especially in the US. Even then, that's still an entirely different subject and not comparable to communication.

Entirely dependent on where you live, and we're also not talking about holding a job but attaining one. That's not even a goal post shift, that's changing the subject.

You could car pool, use Uber, Lyft, taxis, bicycles, buses, or trains. Unless you live rural those are feasible in many places though yes, not having a car can be problematic, especially in the US. Even then, that's still an entirely different subject and not comparable to communication.
No, we actually agree that there are options other than giving everyone free shit, is what I think. I don't think its a "goal post shift" or changing the subject at all. I live in a rural community. How could I get to work with no car? There's no bus here. So I should get a car. Some people need a phone, I need a new car.

You say you can car pool or other options that cost money (?) but you can't use someone's phone or email? Can't go to an employment agency?

No, we actually agree that there are options other than giving everyone free shit, is what I think. I don't think its a "goal post shift" or changing the subject at all. I live in a rural community. How could I get to work with no car? There's no bus here. So I should get a car. Some people need a phone, I need a new car.

You say you can car pool or other options that cost money (?) but you can't use someone's phone or email? Can't go to an employment agency?
Well public transportation is its own discussion and something the US needs to improve on, and it's a public service like the phone in this scenario. I also agreed that transportation can be an issue in areas. You're shifting the conversation away from the original subject to validate your views on that subject. Transportation is its own problem, and most agree that the US has a car culture (which is very costly) and not nearly enough public infrastructure.

A phone (or smartphone in this case) allows you to call, email, and apply for jobs. A phone with this functionality also doesn't cost what a car does upfront nor long term, especially when factoring in maintenance and insurance. It's another way of helping people and the cost to benefit is easier to work out. Phones are fairly cheap and a necessity in the modern world.

As far as the idea of giving people cars in theory, if somehow the math showed that it was a practical, cost effective solution to a problem, I wouldn't have an issue with it. Social safety nets are there to save money, because it turns out a dog eat dog mentality costs more than social programs.

I also never said you couldn't use someone's phone (email doesn't make sense, email is not a device) and I never said you couldn't go to an employment agency.

Point of need of a data capable phone aside. You can still walk into a business and apply or ask to speak to a hiring manger. It actually gives you an advantage as it shows initiative and drive while simply filling out an online application makes you 1 of a thousand faceless files in a repository unlikely to to be read

Back