Social The Obama Phone Comes Pre-loaded with Malware the User Can't Uninstall

My tax dollars also subsidize corporations (like them not paying a living wage to their workers) and endless war.

Corporate entities are as bad and worse than the government and many of the problems in government are tied to corporate collusion and corruption.

'Limited government' is simplistic. Government that is responsive to and reflective of the will of its constituents is the better answer. Whether that means small, medium, or large government (by whatever metric those definitions are being applied), matters less than the strength of the democratic process and peoples' involvement.

Not having an environmental agency or regulations on building standards, food, and drugs would be considered 'limited government' but that's not really wise in those examples, aye?

A smart phone is a universal human right bigot. Get used to it.

In all honesty, smartphones are ubiquitous enough that they probably should be.

Maybe not a human right in such strong terms, but lacking access to the internet when even menial labor requires you to apply online is a big millstone around the neck. Smartphones aren't luxury items anymore. Shit, I probably couldn't find a working flip phone if I wanted to. Not saying they need the new iPhone, but even a cheap smartphone can be critically important.

Adbombing poor people seems like a bad way to get a roi. I mean unless it's promoting lotto scratchers and cigarettes.

Last edited:
Can't have unremovable malware if I never buy that phone.
K0KPgis.jpg
What do you mean buy?

It's a welfare phone.

I thought the Obama phone was going to be 2 paper cups and a bit of string?

They still hand these out at 7-11 here in 29 Palms

They always try to talk to me when I pump gas, they always get the HHH disgust look in return

Peasant shit

Shouldn’t Virgin Mobile be the one to blame? It sounds like the government pays
US Government-funded Android phones come preinstalled with unremovable malware

Just another example of a road paved to hell with the best intentions.

Your tax dollars hard at work infesting the population with corporate adware and major security hazards. This is why the best government is the most limited government.

"The UMX U686CL is provided by Virgin Mobile's Assurance Wireless program. Assurance Wireless is an offshoot of the Lifeline Assistance program, a Federal Communications Commissions plan that makes free or government-subsidized phones service available to millions of low-income families. The program is often referred to as the Obama Phone because it expanded in 2008, when President Barack Obama took office. The UMX U686CL runs Android and is available for $35 to qualifying users."

This sounds like a fuck up on the part of either Virgin or the folks installing the software, not the government.

the article was from yesterday

You forgot to add "STUPID!" at the end for your post toward that Mike Tyson fan (who apparently is still on HIS nutsack while Mike hasn't been relevant since 1990!)

The actual policy started under Clinton, but there have been numerous acts/laws since the early 20th century regarding telecommunications. Obama just expanded it. He didn't sign the initial law into act.
Exactly. And he's been out of office for 3 years.

This is why the best government is the most limited government.

Not that virgin should get away with sneaking ads on the phones, but maybe people that qualify for this phone and benefit from it would rather have it with ads than no phone at all. Baby, bathwater, etc.

Also technically our tax dollars don't pay for the program, the USF does.

Maybe not a human right in such strong terms, but lacking access to the internet when even menial labor requires you to apply online is a big millstone around the neck. Smartphones aren't luxury items anymore. Shit, I probably couldn't find a working flip phone if I wanted to. Not saying they need the new iPhone, but even a cheap smartphone can be critically important.
Not to mention the absence of public payphones.

Last edited:

It's the new library in many ways.

Shouldn’t Virgin Mobile be the one to blame? It sounds like the government pays

"The UMX U686CL is provided by Virgin Mobile's Assurance Wireless program. Assurance Wireless is an offshoot of the Lifeline Assistance program, a Federal Communications Commissions plan that makes free or government-subsidized phones service available to millions of low-income families. The program is often referred to as the Obama Phone because it expanded in 2008, when President Barack Obama took office. The UMX U686CL runs Android and is available for $35 to qualifying users."

This sounds like a fuck up on the part of either Virgin or the folks installing the software, not the government.
Yes, however the government should have included rules to protect the user's privacy.

Ultimately it's the voters' fault for not electing candidates with stronger views on internet privacy/international data collection IMO.

Last edited:
Yes, however the government should have included rules to protect the user's privacy.

Ultimately it's the voters' fault for not electing candidates with stronger views on internet privacy/international data collection IMO.
Agreed, and I think you'd agree it should apply to all privacy not just these phones.

Agreed, and I think you'd agree it should apply to all privacy not just these phones.
Hell yes. Especially these folks though as they who qualify for the phone program are more targeted for intrusive data collection and advertising as well as less likely to be aware of it, from what I remember. Not to mention they're vetted by the government to qualify initially, or "targeted to take place in a an aggressive data collection scheme" by our officials.

Last edited:
Worry about your own country Sketch (or reroll as an American -- it's too late for this account).
I’m American. Take it to the lounge if you want to debate me on it.

Back