the no gi mounted ezekiel

tekkenfan

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
whats your thoughts on this technique? in jj i find their to be half ass subs and true subs i think gogo platas for instance are half ass subs certain moves that dont have a fully closed wedge kinda hard to explain

but for instance in true subs id call the rnc the king nothing weak about it when u got it everyone knows its a matter of time once your hands are locked up. the arm triangle is another good technique i feel then the leg triangle the guillotine chokes arm locks heel hooks. for instance certain subs when locked in people are like yup hes got it. and others your like eh.. will it work... those are the types of subs i dont like to hunt for

id like to really get good with the no gi Ezekiel since hat hw guy even hits it from bottom mount lol id like to use on top mount since u dont even have to give up your position to land it low risk high reward

im pretty high atm so if this doesnt make sense lol i get it

You pretty much lose nothing attacking it, and forcing them to defend can open up other options too.

Braulio Estima uses it a lot no gi.

I think it's too high risk for the reward.

but is it? you dont lose position? you are just using your hands worse case is putting right hand under their head which could get trapped for a upa roll but a good guy isnt gonna just get rolled that easily i feel mind elaborating more? i dont even really have a good gi version of this move which is why im asking here

since i hit black i really started to re evaluate my game to tighen everything up making sure all my top game subs im not giving up much position

You pretty much lose nothing attacking it, and forcing them to defend can open up other options too.

Braulio Estima uses it a lot no gi.
yes but % wise do you think its solid like if you get it you got it they arnt getting out? obviously it isnt as strong as a rnc but curious over all how it is at the black belt level as i said i tried t change most of my game and i dont do anythign that i can just catch purples and under.

if it doesnt work at bb i dont wana use it. obviously its a tech that i have to really practice a lot to get on good people but before i put int he time i wana get some in sight on the move itself if some other bbs think its worth the time

yes but % wise do you think its solid like if you get it you got it they arnt getting out? obviously it isnt as strong as a rnc but curious over all how it is at the black belt level as i said i tried t change most of my game and i dont do anythign that i can just catch purples and under.

if it doesnt work at bb i dont wana use it. obviously its a tech that i have to really practice a lot to get on good people but before i put int he time i wana get some in sight on the move itself if some other bbs think its worth the time

I think it helps more to not look at it like 'submission moves' in isolation, but whether the situation itself is valuable.

Like for example, you're probably not going to make everyone you get on top of tap to shoulder pressure, but it benefits you to get better at applying shoulder pressure. You now what i mean?

I think it helps more to not look at it like 'submission moves' in isolation, but whether the situation itself is valuable.

Like for example, you're probably not going to make everyone you get on top of tap to shoulder pressure, but it benefits you to get better at applying shoulder pressure. You now what i mean?
mhm i love that rob khan shoulder pressure lol have you seen it? i know its off topic but i feel if more guys used it and the ideas strategy behind it ore guys would like to play top game more

mhm i love that rob khan shoulder pressure lol have you seen it? i know its off topic but i feel if more guys used it and the ideas strategy behind it ore guys would like to play top game more

Him, Roy Marsh, and Braulio again are all guys i've drawn inspiration from for shoulder presh. For applying pressure in general i'd add Wade Schalles to that list too.

Him, Roy Marsh, and Braulio again are all guys i've drawn inspiration from for shoulder presh. For applying pressure in general i'd add Wade Schalles to that list too.

yeah a rob bb named travis nagle was near me i sue t cross train with them since my white belt days i learnt that and felt lots of robs top game fundamentals are in me love his mount control stuff as well. its funny when people here try to say they would take it easily and that that pressure would work on them. roy marsh learnt his pressure from rob

another good type of opener pressure attack eh does he called the "what time is it grip" he does from side and the mount to get them to react and open up an arm great in setting up armlocks arm triangles from the top since you dont have that gi lapell to threaten the choke to get their hands up the "wtsi" grip does wonders

also isnt wade a wrestling coach?

Last edited:
I’m a big fan of Ezekiel chokes in general. In the gi, I go for them from almost anywhere. Nogi, I only do them from mount, and I have a pretty high success rate with it. Theres also almost no risk in attempting it (which is one of my main criteria for integrating subs into my overall game).

I’m a big fan of Ezekiel chokes in general. In the gi, I go for them from almost anywhere. Nogi, I only do them from mount, and I have a pretty high success rate with it. Theres also almost no risk in attempting it (which is one of my main criteria for integrating subs into my overall game).
exactly is the reason i wana really work it into my mount game to me now my top game is 90% mount and back only go to side off passes and from there im trying to transition to the back or mount un fortunately most mount attacks no gi that are successful you have to leave the mount to go for it with arm locks arm triangle are the only real attacks i try for in mount at high levels i dont mess with mounted triangles americana's

the only way id go for mounted triangle is if they duh an arm udner my leg or if we somehow ended up there id never try to set it up from scratch though

yeah a rob bb named travis nagle was near me i sue t cross train with them since my white belt days i learnt that and felt lots of robs top game fundamentals are in me love his mount control stuff as well. its funny when people here try to say they would take it easily and that that pressure would work on them. roy marsh learnt his pressure from rob

another good type of opener pressure attack eh does he called the "what time is it grip" he does from side and the mount to get them to react and open up an arm great in setting up armlocks arm triangles from the top since you dont have that gi lapell to threaten the choke to get their hands up the "wtsi" grip does wonders

also isnt wade a wrestling coach?

Many folk really underestimate the simple utility of a forearm across the throat.

It's like, you can just put it there, and instantly he's in trouble. He no longer has the option of just sitting and relaxing, because now his oxygen is getting cut down. He can't just leave it there, he has to do something about it; but he can't always do something about it. If he just fights to brush it off, you can just keep putting it on, and now he's all focused on that, instead of trying to reverse or escape or do anything else, all the while you are still working on your pass or submission entry or simply riding him. And if they start overreacting to try to escape the pressure, that then opens up more options. In order to deal with pressure, they need to act in certain ways, which lets you predict their actions.

One of my favorite ways of applying elbow pressure is actually through an underhook. Sometimes called a crossface underhook, or 'face nelson'. It's a very powerful position, and also very versatile. You can use it standing, against the cage, on the ground, in guard, halfguard, mount; any time you could otherwise use an underhook like normal.

Wade was a folkstylist yes who specialized in matwork, and also competed in sambo too (something many guys in the olympic program did back then). He actually holds the record as the most 'pinningest' wrestler in collegiate wrestling history to date as well; the trophy for most pins in a season is named after him. His specialty was knowing how to apply the most pressure, pain, and over all life-restriction with his technique (without getting called of course), such that many of his opponents would actually pin themselves to escape (and the ones that wouldn't would still be thinking about it rather than resisting more).

About 6 or so years ago he came more into the submission grappling and mma side of things when, after Billy Robinson died (peace be upon him), he was hired to be the head coach of Jake Shannon's catch wrestling org.

Last edited:
Many folk really underestimate the simple utility of a forearm across the throat.

It's like, you can just put it there, and instantly he's in trouble. He no longer has the option of just sitting and relaxing, because now his oxygen is getting cut down. He can't just leave it there, he has to do something about it; but he can't always do something about it. If he just fights to brush it off, you can just keep putting it on, and now he's all focused on that, instead of trying to reverse or escape or do anything else, all the while you are still working on your pass or submission entry or simply riding him. And if they start overreacting to try to escape the pressure, that then opens up more options. In order to deal with pressure, they need to act in certain ways, which lets you predict their actions.

One of my favorite ways of applying elbow pressure is actually through an underhook. Sometimes called a crossface underhook, or 'face nelson'. It's a very powerful position, and also very versatile. You can use it standing, against the cage, on the ground, in guard, halfguard, mount; any time you could otherwise use an underhook like normal.

Wade was a folkstylist yes who specialized in matwork, and also competed in sambo too (something many guys in the olympic program did back then). He actually holds the record as the most 'pinningest' wrestler in collegiate wrestling history to date as well; the trophy for most pins in a season is named after him. His specialty was knowing how to apply the most pressure, pain, and over all life-restriction with his technique (without getting called of course), such that many of his opponents would actually pin themselves to escape (and the ones that wouldn't would still be thinking about it rather than resisting more).

About 6 or so years ago he came more into the submission grappling and mma side of things when, after Billy Robinson died (peace be upon him), he was hired to be the head coach of Jake Shannon's catch wrestling org.

yeah the elbow underhook i stole from jake shields thats how hed set up his armlock from mount or arm triangle

a great side and mount no gi series is matt arroyos dvds hes bb under rob and adcc vet quite accomplished guy

thats the kinda jj i like not being to basic like gracie academy learning how to make things work at higher levels but not going to crazy fancy with current upside down crab ride battles

No gi ezekiel is a money move, 100% reliable; but it takes a lot of work / understanding / refining to make it go from a mean crushy thing, that only works on some people, to a truly clean one-way ticket to sleepytown.

yeh it's great, did a video on it. Lots of pressure if done right, and low risk if you know how to hold mount :)

yeh it's great, did a video on it. Lots of pressure if done right, and low risk if you know how to hold mount :)
are you trying to blood choke them with it or smash their adams apple basically lol wondering how this works without the cloth not sure how it would attack the sides of neck

No gi ezekiel is a money move, 100% reliable; but it takes a lot of work / understanding / refining to make it go from a mean crushy thing, that only works on some people, to a truly clean one-way ticket to sleepytown.

mhm im willing t put in the work gonna move in with buddy soon who trains in nyc when i do well spend a good hour a day just in the apt drilling so i should get it and the ns choke down 2 attacks i really need for mma and no gi

I like to go for it, although my finishing rate with it isn't super high. But it does a lot of other things like make the other guy react in which case you can go for other stuff or really settle into a strong mount position. I do find it to not really work super well against people way bigger than you but even then it's rare they will actually get a reversal from you attempting it as long as you are aware of their body movements and shit. My former instructor likes it from full guard as well and has actually put someone out with it in competition (at black belt Adult division) and I use that same grip from mount.

Ezekiel choke is Aleksei Oleinik's favorite submission.

are you trying to blood choke them with it or smash their adams apple basically lol wondering how this works without the cloth not sure how it would attack the sides of neck

air if they're on their back, blood if they're on their side :)

Back